36 hours worth of food-no fridge, no hot water

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

36 hours worth of food-no fridge, no hot water

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:35 am

So I'm going on the Women's March on Washington on Jan. 21. Very excited! In order to save $$ and also to avoid being away from the farm too long (risky in winter, even with the farm sitter there), I am taking a rally bus that will leave at 9 PM on Friday night, arrive in DC Sat AM, leave again at 6:30 Sat PM and return to Nashville Sun. AM.

I will be carrying everything on my back. There will be no place to leave anything. There will be no access to hot water or a microwave or a fridge. I can eat dinner before I leave, but I'll need to feed myself for basically a day and a half.

I'm thinking, right now, of this:

3 sandwiches, made from hummus and veggies
a baggie full of cold nuked Yukon golds

This doesn't seem very hearty though. It may well be VERY cold and we'll be standing around and marching most of the day in that cold. Does anyone have ideas for sandwiches that will hold up under these conditions (and not be nasty, mushy messes by the time I get to them), or other ideas? I could take a few small Gladware containers of leftovers that are OK cold, I guess.

I will probably take a few Clif bars, even though they are off plan, just as backup.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Re: 36 hours worth of food-no fridge, no hot water

Postby patty » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:55 am

You might try making sushi sandwiches. Here is a site with a slide show of hows and ingredients: http://www.inhabitots.com/how-to-make-s ... /?extend=1

Have fun!!!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:18 am

Well, you could fast, 36 hrs isn't that long . . .

But assuming that is not desirable, here are a few things I might do.

Refrigeration appears not to be an issue if the weather will be cold. Assuming it's a charter bus, the luggage area underneath should be equal to a fridge.

Eat a hearty dinner.
I eat oats for breakfast, so I'd pack breakfast in a wide mouth Thermos.
Bag of cooked Yukons.
Small container of hummus.
Sandwiches: pack the ingredients in separate containers to assembled onsite, prevents sandwich sog
Onigiri: Japanese rice balls, lazy man's sushi, handful of rice with something tasty in center wrapped in nori
Rice Cakes: mix cooked rice with prepped goodies, mix well, form into cakes and wrap in foil.
Giant thermos of my favorite tea

Good luck and have fun!
vgpedlr

Postby Dougalling » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:55 am

Hi

Bagged cooked yukons OR bagged potato salad (mustard based dressing).
Dougalling

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:52 pm

Fasting for 36 hours in the freezing cold is very much NOT an option LOL! I would end up eating something horrible (like fries) from a food truck out of desperation!

I have never had a thermos that was good enough to keep oatmeal hot for 12 hours. Not sure I want to deal with lukewarm oatmeal on Sat AM! I was figuring taters for breakfast. I usually DO keep all sandwich ingredients separate on trips, but I'm seeing myself in 10F weather, with my pack, 4 layers of clothing, and 3 layers of gloves/mittens, trying to assemble a sandwich on the Mall, and it doesn't look good to me LOL. So I would prefer to be able to pre-assemble sandwiches. Maybe that's just not possible though.

What about a cooked portabello made into a sandwich, with veggies, and ust a little hummus so it wouldn't get too soggy? Has anyone done that?

I wish there were McDougall-approved bars. I usually take Clif bars (vegan but not McDougall) on camping trips, but I know they're really calorie dense and I'm trying so hard not to cheat at all! Didn't someone post a recipe once? I can't find it now. I'm not into complicated recipes, but if there is a simple one, that might really help.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:05 pm

ETeSelle wrote: I usually take Clif bars (vegan but not McDougall) on camping trips, but I know they're really calorie dense and I'm trying so hard not to cheat at all! Didn't someone post a recipe once? I can't find it now. I'm not into complicated recipes, but if there is a simple one, that might really help.

OK, no fasting. As for oats, I always eat mine room temp, so a thermos would just keep them turning into an oatsicle so I'd be fine.

Make your own rice cakes like Allen Lim/Chef Biju Thomas started for pro cyclists. Sweet or savory, anything you like cooked up and chopped small to mix with cooked rice. Here's how do them:
https://trainingtableblog.wordpress.com ... ice-cakes/
I've made a bunch over the years for myself and others. Pizza flavor, sesame ginger, curry, breakfast (tofu scramble), cacao berry, fig nut . . . anything goes really.
vgpedlr

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:40 pm

OK--those are awesome, vegpedlr! I can live on those quite happily and wrapped up in tin foil and then inside gladware, they'll be safe in my pack! Thanks!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Is the calrose rice necessary? Will brown rice do? I looked up calrose rice and it just seems to be medium-grain rice.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:44 pm

ETeSelle wrote:Is the calrose rice necessary? Will brown rice do? I looked up calrose rice and it just seems to be medium-grain rice.

From my experience white rice is necessary for it to be sticky enough to hold together. Calrose rice is the typical rice in Japanese restaurants and its quite cheap., especially here in CA where it's grown. Sushi rice will also work well, but long grain rice will not.

ETA:
Please share what you make, I love to see variations.
vgpedlr

Postby Franchesca_S. » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:11 pm

I would freeze some of those spuds and other foods. By hour 18 or 20 they would be thawed enough to eat. Maybe some portions of brown rice in baggies, frozen. Also some cooked mixed vegetables, frozen. They would keep the other foods cool would be compliant.
I generally try to avoid plastic bags, but for your trip they would minimize weight.
Best of luck on the march! Tell us about it when you return.
FS.
Franchesca_S.

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:35 pm

vgpedlr wrote:
ETeSelle wrote:Is the calrose rice necessary? Will brown rice do? I looked up calrose rice and it just seems to be medium-grain rice.

From my experience white rice is necessary for it to be sticky enough to hold together. Calrose rice is the typical rice in Japanese restaurants and its quite cheap., especially here in CA where it's grown. Sushi rice will also work well, but long grain rice will not.

ETA:
Please share what you make, I love to see variations.

You might try sweet brown rice. It's sticky. Bob's Red Mill has a sticky brown rice.
http://www.bobsredmill.com/index.php/ca ... ew/id/2774
http://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/brown-sweet-rice

I like Hinode brand of calrose, but I buy the white. It's very sticky. I don't know how sticky the brown is.
http://www.hinoderice.com/product/calro ... rown-rice/
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby greentea » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:53 pm

ETeSelle wrote:
I wish there were McDougall-approved bars. I usually take Clif bars (vegan but not McDougall) on camping trips, but I know they're really calorie dense and I'm trying so hard not to cheat at all! Didn't someone post a recipe once? I can't find it now. I'm not into complicated recipes, but if there is a simple one, that might really help.

I tried jeff's recipe found in this thread for a really long road trip: viewtopic.php?p=50782#p50782
I made it using dry oats. The mixture looked a bit too wet so I ground some extra oats up and mixed them in. I added fresh chopped apples, and bananas and a bit of cinnamon. I baked it in a square pyrex for about 45 min to 1 hour. It was really delicious.

Another thing you might consider is making some kind of lentil or grain loaf. They transport fairly well.
greentea

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:54 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:I like Hinode brand of calrose, but I buy the white. It's very sticky. I don't know how sticky the brown is.
http://www.hinoderice.com/product/calro ... rown-rice/

My experience with brown rice is that it doesn't stay sticky. Part of the success for the rice cakes is based on a short to medium grain rice. While classified as medium, Calrose is pretty short, if you compare to Basmati. The other part is how much moisture white rice retains, so as you mash it a bit to form the cakes it tends to stick together. They still have a tendency to fall apart, so if you want to maximize the portability and eat them out of hand, use the white rice. It just works better.

My favorite that's widely available is Nishiki, and Botan is also pretty good. From time to time I treat myself to really good Japanese Calrose rice. mmmmm
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:56 pm

greentea wrote:I tried jeff's recipe found in this thread for a really long road trip: viewtopic.php?p=50782#p50782
I made it using dry oats. The mixture looked a bit too wet so I ground some extra oats up and mixed them in. I added fresh chopped apples, and bananas and a bit of cinnamon. I baked it in a square pyrex for about 45 min to 1 hour. It was really delicious.

Another thing you might consider is making some kind of lentil or grain loaf. They transport fairly well.

Those oat bars look good. Definitely trying them. Good idea on the loaf.
vgpedlr

Postby viv » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:49 pm

I like peanut jelly sandwiches for easy transport and no mess eating. I use ezekial bread with peanuts only peanut butter and all fruit spread. I cut the sandwiches into quarters so it's easy to reach into your packback and pull out a small bitesize sandwich while marching along. OMG there is no cold like the Washington DC cold in the dead of winter. When I first came to this area from California I thought I would die. You will need the extra fat and calories in the Peanut butter to help prevent hypothermia! Be careful out there, when it gets that cold people here are advised to stay indoors.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Next

Return to The Lounge