It's just a trip. Why the panic?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

It's just a trip. Why the panic?

Postby glo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:08 am

My hubby and I are leaving today for a 4 day trip. Business / Pleasure. And I started today with a sore throat that goes down into my chest. Yikes. I'm trying to be positive that I will be able to stay on program. But I really feel panicky about it. I've only been doing this wonderful way of eating for a little over 2 weeks, and I do not want to lose the progress I've made. - glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Re: It's just a trip. Why the panic?

Postby MINNIE » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:23 am

You won't:). It's easy to stay compliant while traveling. There is a learning curve involved but it's pretty short.

Just be sure to bring compliant snacks and whatever else you need to avoid feeling hungry or deprived.

I travel a lot and never have any problems, and I predict that's how it will be for you.

If it makes you feel less anxious,you might plan out four days of eating and write it down. You can decide in advance if you will buy groceries as you go, buy in advance, or just make things up as you go along.

I no longer have to do this, but it can be reassuring at first.

Personally, I always plan on NOT finding any restaurants that I can use. This saves me the time/ trouble of driving around aimlessly looking for one. If there turns out to be one (which is almost never) it's a nice bonu. But if not I'm prepared:).

Good luck, relax,and enjoy the trip!

PS There are quite a few travel eating discussion threads here -just search and you can see what others have done.
Last edited by MINNIE on Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MINNIE

Postby katgirl55 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:52 am

glo,

Just do your best. You are already stressed by being sick, so more worry will not be beneficial to you. Make sure you have lots of compliant snacks to have on hand so you will not be too hungry - this will also help nourish you while you are under the weather. Most of all, try to relax and enjoy the time with your husband. There are lots of threads here about travel, as Minnie has pointed out. Take a look and see what advice you can apply to your situation.
katgirl55

Postby Dougalling » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:57 am

" a sore throat that goes down into my chest "

You should get that checked to ensure it's not something small that will turn into something big if not taken care of.

If you don't have time before the trip, make sure you have it checked as soon as you get to your destination.
Dougalling

Postby roundcoconut » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Verbally, can you switch to saying, "I'm beginning to. . . " and "I've decided to. . . " and "I'd like to. . . " and "I'm using every resource I can think of, to . . . "

I have a pet peeve around the word "trying" -- it is a word people use when they are self-sabotaging. It is the devil's word! :).

If you think about it, would you want to be in a relationship with someone who says "I'm trying to like you"? Would you want to have an employee who says, "I'm trying to show up for my job each day"? Would you enjoy a doctor who says "I'm trying to care about your symptoms but mostly I just need to move to the next patient"?

So i'm not so in love with people who say they are "trying" because that conveys a vibe of Expect Mediocrity.

If you can say, "I've decided to eat the best foods I can think of, for my trip" -- you set yourself up for much success. If you can say "I'm beginning to figure out some decent foods to eat while traveling", you are in the right mindset. If you can say, "I'd like to pack some healthy starches and I'd like to gain confidence through this", then you are pretty magical.

Just repeat after me: I'm using every resource to continue forward progress. I can choose good foods, if I want to. I can have fun doing this, if I want to.

Does that help any? Your mindset is yours to choose, and if you don't like the one I just handed off to you, find one you DO like. :)
roundcoconut

Postby f1jim » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:36 am

It really is about a certain mindset. Worry and stress don't help. They actually are a block to getting through a relatively unknown situation. Make out a food roadmap for the trip. You can be flexible when it calls for it and rigid when that's the right call.
Things will be fine regardless of what life throws at you. The Boy Scout motto was "Be Prepared." It will serve you well.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby MINNIE » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:57 am

Also, it helps to look at the long-term big picture.

You are very new to this. If you happened to eat something off-plan while travelling, one mistake wouldn't make you a failure. It won't end the world. (I don't think you will but if you do -well, things happen).

Just move on, and do better next time. :-D

As Dr. McDougall says: "progress, not perfection".

Happy trails!
MINNIE

Postby glo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Poor Internet connection... but wanted to say that I appreciate all your comments and suggestions, and happy to say doing well. - Glo ... thanks all.
Always learning! — glo
glo

Return to The Lounge