US Life Expectancy Declines

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: US Life Expectancy Declines

Postby patty » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:24 pm

GlennR wrote:
Even if these people have bodies that are not in any physical pain, what kind of lives are they leading? Are they having new experiences? Are they forming healthy human connections, and are they strengthening the connections they already have? Are they growing as people? Are they enjoying their days, and are they excited about their lives?

My in-laws are in their nineties and have pain, less mobility, ... but they have no desire to move on. They enjoy their books and their tv shows and if they are less active now, less social, who are any of us to judge their quality of life? I've lived with psoriatic arthritis and pain for four decades but I wouldn't want to miss a minute of my life.

I don't think any of us can speak for others.

I don't think so too:) Addiction is a body, mind and social disease. Even if someone has healthy eating habits (in the viewer's perspective) they mentally, and emotionally can be unhealthier than someone without. Again it is all perspective as in the Whole Picture, when you are at the top of the mountain you see all paths lead to the top. I love caregiving, and the preciousness of life is indescribable. When not rolling on the tiger's back, our heads are in the tiger's mouth. We all deal with life on life's terms. Age is irrelevant. Space and time is a construct of the brain. I just met a lady at 90, who published her first book. It is a child's book about dreaming about swimming with the dolphins becoming a reality.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby arugula » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:47 pm

Werner1950 wrote:
GlennR wrote:I was surprised that the discrepancy between Canada and the US is so large. In Canada the expectancy for males is 80.2 and for females 84.1. I would have thought it would be a lot closer given the similarity of diet.

I wonder if the gun laws in Canada make the difference?

Also consider that there is more poverty and greater income inequality in the US compared to Canada.
arugula

Postby arugula » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:52 pm

ETeSelle wrote:
openmind wrote:What motivates me more than longevity is quality of life- whether I go out at 70 or at 105, I want to be in good health.

Yup. I am utterly uninterested in living long in anything but good health. I'll be making quite sure that does NOT happen to me.

this. i'm fairly certain that i'd rather go at 60 than at 68 after 8 years of grueling chemo and surgery.

my mother went through all that only she died when she was 50.

i can only imagine how much all that would cost today. the people who get the most benefit IMHO are the insurance company CEOs and the physicians.

i don't want other people to gain tremendous benefit from my misfortunes.
arugula

Postby veg tom » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:21 am

A is A
veg tom

Postby bbq » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:01 am

https://www.surgeongeneral.gov/news/testimony/childobesity03022004.html
Richard H. Carmona, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.C.S. wrote:Image

We're on our way there already.
bbq

Postby patty » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:32 am

Dr McDougall witnessed this when he was a plantation doctor as the elder workers were healthier than the offspring. A Death of STUFF (the American dream) for Dr McDougall must have happened. A separation from his family of physicians colleagues followed. A new covenant was formed with his patients. Dr Esselstyn talks about this in "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease". A mission for authentic life. Dr McDougall shares he might not be the richest doctor but he has to be the luckiest because at his retreats he looks out at all the healthiest faces. A addict in recovery learns to die before you have to physically have to, just one day at a time. Time and space becomes a construct of the brain. Winston Churchill shares "Never Give Up." We have to be more than Big Food and Big Pharma. Each of us is the most important component in the feedback loop. Dr Campbell in "Whole" shares it has to be from the bottom up. It is what is on the end of your fork. And some people/addicts will teach you what to put on it as others will teach what not to put on it. It is letting go expectations. Life is what it is. Death allows us to deal with it on Life's terms. Starch allows Satity that this too will pass. Think it through with the comfort of Starch.

Aloha, Patty
patty

Postby judynew » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:58 am

Roundcoconut, being able to tie one's own shoes is a great benchmark for healthy aging. Thanks for that.

I live in Toronto and belong to a very active congregation where most people are busy with volunteering, social activism, physical activities and so on, well into their later years. Of course, they are people who have always lived their lives that way and, they are also a relatively affluent group who are educated and have enjoyed a reasonable level of health care. They are giving of themselves and interesting people to be around well into their 80's and sometimes 90's. I also know people, of course, who seem to revel in being "old". It's almost as if it relieves them of any responsibility to do better or something. Not quite sure what it's about but some of them make me feel as if they just want to get to the end asap :? .

Unfortunately, most of the people I know have been eating some version of SAD for many years and sometimes they end up having very unhappy experiences at the end. We have been hosting a monthly Starch Solution support group and potluck in the church and the word is beginning to spread. People tell me of better blood work, weight loss and so on. I'm so pleased to beat least able to offer people a better way, even though I can't make them take it.
judynew

Previous

Return to The Lounge