Fat Loss Happens on Mondays

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fat Loss Happens on Mondays

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:35 pm

katgirl55 wrote:
In my weight loss program we were taught to set goals based on behavior and not on what the scale says, because that is what we can control. It didn't make sense at first, but focusing on the cause and not the symptom now seems very obvious.

I think this is so important, it deserves its own thread. So as not to hijack the fat shaming thread, starting a new one on what katgirl brought up. And a book that I found interesting, which may benefit others if they keep an open mind.

Tracking progress is great, but it doesn't happen fast enough. Tracking behaviors can happen every day and you always know well you're doing, if you track it. I recently "got" this by reading the book Fat Loss Happens on Monday. I read it because it's co-authored by a strength coach I've learned lots from. They describe the approach that's worked best for clients over the years, and the two foundations are a detailed food log, and an incremental approach to changing food behaviors with advance planning.

The author realized early on the single biggest factor in his clients' success with fat loss was whether or not they kept a detailed food diary or not. In other words, nearly every person who kept a food log met their goals, and only a few who didn't record everything managed to succeed anyway. Like Jeff, he is a big fan on the CRON-o-meter for ease and detail. What I took away from this is that while such accurate recording is not always necessary, it is very useful in the learning process. It's really hard to troubleshoot something without data. So a detailed record was the first step. Every week you analyze what happened. From that analysis you make a new plan for the next week. Repeat what worked, change what didn't. Seeing things in impersonal numerical form might decrease some of the guilt and shame. It's all just a bunch of behaviors, some productive, some not. Not "good" or "bad", just what works and what doesn't.

The next step is where the title comes from. Athletes often schedule their hardest workouts first in the week for when they're fresh. What's most important, do it first, that way if anything goes awry later, the priority was handled. For his clients, that meant getting THE FOOD right first. Sound familiar? The number one priority is to get the week's food planned, shopped, prepped, and stored first. Before any workouts.

The nutritional advice is rooted in the typical personal training model of protein and "healthy" fats, but it does not argue for a LC or kept diet by any means. That's the purpose of recording and analyzing, find what works and repeated. He recounts how, surprise! some people do really well on high carb diets! But his criteria should sound familiar, satiety vs. calories. He just feels protein and fat work best. I wonder what he would think of Jeff's Calorie Density presentation.

He is adamant throughout that regarding fat loss, IT'S THE FOOD. The shorter second half covers his exercise progression, which is based on kettle bells and bodyweight, so that it could be done at home or the gym. Some cool stuff there for those interested.

I found it a much more interesting read than I expected. It's inspired me to try a few experiments for myself. I'll report back anything interesting.
vgpedlr

Re: Fat Loss Happens on Mondays

Postby Sagefemme » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Amen! Food diaries have been shown over and over to be linked with more success in losing weight. Years ago I lost a significant amount of weight with Weight Watchers. What was clear to me was that when I journaled I was far more accountable. Also I remember times when I decided NOT to eat something (usually something off-plan) simply because it was too much of a PITA to look up its calories/fat/fiber content and write it down. Worked for me.
Sagefemme

Postby Chumly » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Sounds like it's exactly what I need. I'm getting the book.

Michael
Chumly

Postby amandamechele » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:51 pm

It sounds like an interesting book. Thank you for the suggestion!
amandamechele

Postby Yomom » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I am reading the sample on my e-reader right now.
Yomom

Postby viv » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:38 pm

I've kept a food diary for years, mostly inspired by Weight Watchers. I'm looking at an entry from 2004; weight 227 lbs (forgot I was that heavy!) Breakfast: half a cup of oatmeal with creamer; Lunch: plain hamburger with side salad, 3 small oranges. Dinner: Healthy choice frozen dinner, I small ice cream bar. Walk 20 minutes, 100 sit ups, 25 press ups.

God I tried, and tried and tried...for years and years. Now at a bmi of under 24 at 156 I still chart my course. But it took the Starch Solution to get the results I have been seeking my whole life.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby smudgemom » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:59 pm

I trust your recommendations, a la Maffetone, so I'll expect this to be no different..!
Weight has always been up/down/up/down. On the down stages, food journals (hand written..there's that pen-to-paper connection which makes it 'permanent' via Cronometer) were always there. After logging in my food, I usually flipped the page for a personal journal, as well. Reading these old food journals make me long for the days it seemed so easy. Needless to say, I'm on an up stage (!), so it sounds like I need to get a fresh journal & begin a new habit, yes?!
smudgemom

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:15 pm

I hope some folks read it and share their thoughts. I put off reading it for awhile because I though it would be many chapters exonerating us to eat more protein. That is there, but there was a lot of other food for thought.

For those interested in the exercise part, Hillis's collaborator, Dan John, has a lot of great ideas. I have two threads in the Exercise forum to think about.
vgpedlr

Postby Chumly » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:52 pm

I've heard a lot of talk about the Maffetone method. I see he's written many books. Which one would you recommend?

Michael
Chumly

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Chumly wrote:I've heard a lot of talk about the Maffetone method. I see he's written many books. Which one would you recommend?

Michael

Yes, he is making quite a comeback. He checked out of the athletic world to pursue music, and everyone else went to all sorts of high intensity, anaerobic interval style training. But now he is back. Part of his popularity comes from his long time advocacy of a high fat diet, which is quite trendy in endurance sports now. But the remaining advice and 180 formula works well for everyone.

Either of his Big Books is good. The Health and Fitness (red) one is more general, but many of his recommendations contradict what his taught here. The Training and Racing (yellow) is better, and while it sounds advanced, it is very scalable. Maffetone believes health should never be risked for performance. The older book The Maffetone Method is also good, but I don't know if it's in print.

For more, search my namesake blog. I've been writing about it for some time, with plenty of links to learn more.
Last edited by vgpedlr on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
vgpedlr

Postby Chumly » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:54 am

I purchased the book. I look forward to reading it.

Michael
Chumly

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:09 pm

I hope folks that read any of these come back with their thoughts. Better yet, experiences from implementing any part of the suggestions. I'd love to see how others respond.
vgpedlr

Postby Chumly » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:34 pm

I've been reading the book. It makes sense that planning and keeping a journal is key to losing weight. I am planning meals for this week.

Michael
Chumly

Return to The Lounge