Dr Greger "How Not To Die"/Parkinson's...

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dr Greger "How Not To Die"/Parkinson's...

Postby patty » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:55 am

Dr Greger wrote a whole chapter about Parkinson's. His father passed from the disease of Parkinson's. It is a fascinating chapter. My daughter's father in-law passed from it. Dr Greger gives a lot of hope to eradicate it.

Here is the solution:)

There are a number of simple things you can do that may decrease your risk of dying from Parkinson’s disease. You can wear seat belts and bicycle helmets to avoid getting hit in the head, you can exercise regularly, 133 avoid becoming overweight, 134 consume peppers, berries, and green tea, and minimize your exposure to pesticides, heavy metals, and dairy and other animal products. It’s worth it. Trust me when I say that no family should have to endure the tragedy of Parkinson’s.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
patty

Re: Dr Gerger "How Not To Die"/Parkinson's...

Postby dinska » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:29 pm

No wonder he loves that tea so much! But lovely concise tips.
dinska

Re: Dr Greger "How Not To Die"/Parkinson's...

Postby patty » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:49 pm

dinska wrote:No wonder he loves that tea so much! But lovely concise tips.

You know I always felt this extreme intensity with Dr Greger, but after reading about his father dying with the disease of Parkinson's I get it. It is such a insidious disease. I will try and post the chapter in segments this afternoon.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby Kaye » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:47 pm

There is so much in the book to take in. I've read it twice now and may well go back for a 3rd read. I got myself a second copy too so that I can highlight and make notes in one copy as I sometimes struggle to find something I want and can't remember which chapter it was in. We use his Daily Dozen as a loose guide to what we eat in a day which I have written up on a wipe board in the kitchen. I'm sure following that when we first changed to this WOE made things so much easier for us as we focused on getting in our Daily Dozen so barely noticed all the stuff we were no longer eating.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby patty » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:21 am

Kaye wrote:There is so much in the book to take in. I've read it twice now and may well go back for a 3rd read. I got myself a second copy too so that I can highlight and make notes in one copy as I sometimes struggle to find something I want and can't remember which chapter it was in. We use his Daily Dozen as a loose guide to what we eat in a day which I have written up on a wipe board in the kitchen. I'm sure following that when we first changed to this WOE made things so much easier for us as we focused on getting in our Daily Dozen so barely noticed all the stuff we were no longer eating.

I have the book on audio as the kindle, and I have to say when Dr. Greger disses potatoes, I feel he doesn't get it. And that has made me and makes me distance in some what he is saying. I don't separate food and money. I feel food addiction is like other addictions, body, mind and social. It was only when I met someone with Parkinson's I thought of doing a search in the kindle "How Not to Die". And then I was blown away. In AA, your story is how it was and how it is now, as it is a story of Experience, Strength and Hope. Then today i was sharing with someone and i asked how their husband passed and they said, "Parkinson's". I shared having alcoholic genes, as long as I don't drink they are inactive. I shared the alcoholic genes are the gun, but it is lifestyle that pulls the trigger. And that has to be true for children/grandchildren with the Parkinson's genes, like Dr. Greger and his children, as his father passed from Parkinson's.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby patty » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:30 am

I am going to post the whole chapter on Parkinson's from Dr. Greger's "How Not to Die".. if the monitor's choose to delete it for copy right issues. I have to admit I am being very selfish in posting, because I can't show you what I earlier read because it is just a memory, but as I post it, it becomes a new memory and a resonance happens because of whoever will see it. Repetition breeds recognition. This disease can be eradicated.

CHAPTER 14

How Not to Die from Parkinson’s Disease

Back in the 1960s at the height of the civil rights movement, my dad was dodging bullets during the Brooklyn riots and setting up shots at just the right angle to best capture images of my mother being arrested at protests and dragged away again and again. His most famous work— one of Esquire’s 1963 Photos of the Year— depicted family friend Mineral Bramletter suspended in a Christlike pose between two white police officers as another cop clutched his throat.

What a cruel twist of fate that a celebrated photojournalist got a disease that caused his hands to shake. For years, my dad suffered at the hands of Parkinson’s. Slowly and all too painfully, he lost the ability to take care of himself, to live his life in any semblance of the way he had before. He became bedridden and compromised in every way imaginable.

After sixteen years of fighting, he went to the hospital one last time. As so often happens with chronic disease, one complication led to another. He got pneumonia and spent his last few weeks on a ventilator, suffering through a painful, prolonged death. The weeks he spent in that hospital bed before he passed were the worst weeks of both his and my life.

Hospitals are terrible places to be and terrible places to die. That is why each of us needs to take care of ourselves.

As my father’s story shows, Parkinson’s can end badly. It is the second most common neurodegenerative disease after Alzheimer’s. Parkinson’s is a disabling disorder affecting the speed, quality, and ease of movement. Its hallmark symptoms, which worsen as the disease progresses, include hand tremors, limb stiffness, impaired balance, and difficulty walking. It can also affect mood, thinking, and sleep. Parkinson’s is not currently curable.

The disease is caused by the die-off of specialized nerve cells in a region of the brain that controls movement. It typically presents after age fifty. A history of head trauma can increase risk, 1 which may be why heavyweight boxers, including Muhammad Ali, and NFL players, including Hall of Famer Forrest Gregg, have fallen victim to the condition. However, most people may be more likely to develop the disease from toxic pollutants in our environment that can build up in the food supply and eventually affect the brain.

The National Cancer Institute’s 2008/ 2009 U.S. Presidential Cancer Panel report discussed the degree to which we’re being inundated with industrial chemicals. It concluded:

The American people— even before they are born— are bombarded continually with myriad combinations of these dangerous exposures. The Panel urges you [Mr. President] most strongly to use the power of your office to remove the carcinogens and other toxins from our food, water, and air that needlessly increase health care costs, cripple our Nation’s productivity, and devastate American lives. 2

In addition to increasing your risk of developing many cancers, industrial pollutants may also play a role in the onset of such brain-deteriorating (neurodegenerative) diseases as Parkinson’s. 3 And those toxins are residing in most peoples’ bodies.

Every few years, the CDC measures the levels of chemical pollutants in the bodies of thousands of Americans from across the country. According to the agency’s findings, the bodies of most women in the United States are contaminated with heavy metals, along with a number of toxic solvents, endocrine-disrupting chemicals, fire retardants, chemicals from plastics, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and banned pesticides such as DDT4 (publicized by American biologist Rachel Carson in her 1962 bestseller Silent Spring).

In many cases, 99– 100 percent of the hundreds of women tested were found to have detectable levels of these pollutants circulating in their bloodstreams. Pregnant women were found to harbor, on average, up to fifty different chemicals. 5 Could the presence of these potential toxicants in their bodies mean that they’re also being passed on to their children? Researchers decided to put that question to the test by measuring pollutant levels right at delivery in the babies’ umbilical cord blood. (As soon as the cord is cut, a little blood can be squirted into a vial.) After studying more than three hundred women who had recently given birth, researchers found that 95 percent of umbilical cord samples showed detectable DDT residues. 6 And this is now decades after the pesticide was banned.

What about men? Men tend to have even higher levels of certain pollutants than women. A clue to solving this mystery was found when breast-feeding history was taken into account. Women who never breast-fed had about the same level of certain toxicants in their bodies as men, but the longer they breast-fed their children, the lower their levels fell, suggesting that they were detoxing themselves by passing the pollution down to their children. 7

It appears that blood levels of some pollutants in women may drop by nearly half during pregnancy, 8 in part because their bodies pass them off through the placenta. 9 That may be why breast milk concentrations of pollutants appear higher after the first pregnancy than in subsequent ones. 10 This could explain why birth order was found to be a significant predictor of pollutant levels in young people. Basically, firstborn kids may get first dibs on mom’s store of toxic waste, leaving less for their baby brothers and sisters. 11

Even mothers who were breast-fed as infants themselves tend to have higher levels of pollutants in their own breast milk when they grow up, suggesting a multigenerational passing down of these chemicals. 12

In other words, what you eat now may affect the levels of toxic chemicals in your grandchildren. When it comes to feeding babies, breast is still best— absolutely13— but rather than detoxing into our children, we should strive not to “tox” ourselves in the first place. In 2012, researchers from the University of California– Davis, published an analysis of the diets of California kids aged two to seven. (Children are thought to be especially vulnerable to chemicals in the diet because they are still growing, and thus they have a comparatively greater intake of food and fluids relative to their weight.) Chemicals and heavy metals in children’s bodies from the foods they ate were indeed found to exceed safety levels by a larger margin than in adults. Cancer risk ratios, for instance, were exceeded by a factor of up to one hundred or more. For every child studied, benchmark levels were surpassed for arsenic, the banned pesticide dieldrin, and potentially highly toxic industrial by-products called dioxins. They were also too high for DDE, a by-product of DDT. 14

Which foods contributed the most heavy metals? The number-one food source of arsenic was poultry among preschoolers and, for their parents, tuna. 15 The top source for lead? Dairy. For mercury? Seafood. 16

Those concerned about exposing their children to mercury-containing vaccines should know that eating just a single serving of fish each week during pregnancy can lead to more mercury in their infant’s body than injecting them directly with about a dozen mercury-containing vaccines. 17 You should strive to minimize mercury exposure, but the benefits of vaccination far exceed the risks. The same cannot be said for tuna. 18

Where in the food supply are these pollutants found? Today, most DDT comes from meat, particularly fish. 19 The oceans are essentially humanity’s sewer; everything eventually flows into the sea. The same is true when it comes to dietary exposure to PCBs— another set of banned chemicals, once widely used as insulating fluid in electrical equipment. A study of more than twelve thousand food and feed samples across eighteen countries found that the highest PCB contamination was found in fish and fish oil, followed by eggs, dairy, and then other meats. The lowest contamination was found at the bottom of the food chain, in plants. 20

Hexachlorobenzene, another pesticide banned nearly a half century ago, today may be found mainly in dairy and meat, including fish. 21 Perfluorochemicals, or PFCs? Overwhelmingly found in fish and other meats. 22 As for dioxins, in the United States, the most concentrated sources may be butter, followed by eggs, and then processed meat. 23 The levels in eggs may help explain why one study found that eating more than half an egg a day was associated with about two to three times higher odds for cancers of the mouth, colon, bladder, prostate, and breast compared to those who didn’t eat eggs at all.

24 If women want to clean up their diets before conception, how long does it take for these pollutants to leave their systems? To find out, researchers asked people to eat one large serving a week of tuna or other high-mercury fish for fourteen weeks to boost their levels of the heavy metal and then stop. By measuring how fast the subjects’ mercury levels dropped, the scientists were able to calculate the half-life of mercury in the body. 25 The subjects appeared to be able to clear about half the mercury from their bodies within two months. This result suggests that within a year of stopping fish consumption, the body can detox nearly 99 percent of it. Unfortunately, other industrial pollutants in fish can take longer for our bodies to get rid of; the half-lives for certain dioxins, PCBs, and DDT by-products found in fish are as long as ten years. 26 So to get that same 99 percent drop, it could take more than a century— a long time to delay having your first child.

By now you are probably wondering how these chemicals get into your food in the first place. One reason is that we’ve so thoroughly polluted our planet that the chemicals can just come down in the rain. For example, scientists have reported eight different pesticides contaminating the snow-packed peaks of Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. 27 Once pollutants get into the soil, they can work their way up the food chain at increasing concentrations. Consider that before she’s slaughtered for meat, a dairy cow may eat seventy-five thousand pounds’ worth of plants. The chemicals in the plants can get stored in her fat and build up in her body. So when it comes to many of the fat-soluble pesticides and pollutants, every time you eat a burger, you are, in effect, eating everything that burger ate. The best way to minimize your exposure to industrial toxins may be to eat as low as possible on the food chain, a plant-based diet.

Reducing Dioxin Intake

Dioxins are highly toxic pollutants that accumulate in the fat of animal tissue, such that about 95 percent of human exposure comes from eating animal products. 28 Sometimes that’s because of contaminated animal feed. In the 1990s, for example, a supermarket survey found that the highest concentration of dioxins was found in farm-raised catfish. 29 Apparently, the catfish were provided feed mixed with an anticaking agent laced with dioxins that may have originated from sewage sludge. 30

That same feed was given to chickens, affecting approximately 5 percent of U.S. poultry production at the time. 31 That would mean that people ate hundreds of millions of contaminated chickens. 32 Of course, if it was in the chickens, then it was also in their eggs. Indeed, elevated dioxins levels were found in U.S. eggs too. 33 The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimated that less than 1 percent of feed was contaminated, but 1 percent of egg production would mean more than a million tainted eggs per day. But the catfish contamination was even more
widespread: More than one-third of all U.S. farm-raised catfish tested were found to be contaminated with dioxins. 34

In 1997, the Food and Drug Administration called on feed manufacturers to stop using these dioxin-tainted ingredients, stating that “[ c] ontinued exposure to elevated dioxin levels in animal feed increases the risk of adverse health effects in animals and to humans consuming animal-derived food products.” 35 So did the feed industry clean up their act? Up to a half billion pounds of catfish continued to be churned out of U.S. fish farms every year, 36 but it wasn’t until more than a decade later that our government went back and checked for compliance. Researchers from the USDA tested samples of catfish from all over the country and in 2013 reported that 96 percent of tested samples still contained dioxins or dioxin-like compounds. And when they checked the feed used to raise these fish? More than half the samples came back as contaminated. 37

In other words, the feed industry has known for more than two decades that what they were feeding to animals (and, ultimately, to most of us38) may contain dioxins, but apparently, they continue this practice unabated.

The Institute of Medicine has made suggestions for reducing dioxin exposure, such as trimming fat from meat, including from poultry and fish, and avoiding the recycling of animal fat into gravy. 39 Wouldn’t it be more prudent just to trim the amount of animal foods from your diet instead? Researchers have estimated that a plant-based diet could wipe out about 98 percent of your dioxin intake.

Smoking and Parkinson’s Disease

The CDC recently celebrated the fifty-year anniversary of the landmark 1964 surgeon general’s report on smoking, considered one of the great public health achievements of our time. 41 It’s interesting to go back and read the reactions of the tobacco industry to such reports. For example, an industry insider argued that contrary to the surgeon general’s argument that smoking costs our nation billions, “smoking saves the country money by increasing the number of people dying soon after retirement.” 42 In other words, just think how much we’re saving on Medicare and Social Security thanks to cigarettes.

The tobacco industry also criticized the surgeon general’s “lack of balance regarding benefits of smoking.” 43 As they testified before Congress, these “positive health benefits” include “the feeling of well-being, satisfaction, and happiness and everything else.” Beyond all that happiness the surgeon general was trying to extinguish, the Tobacco Institute argued, “everything else” included protection against Parkinson’s disease. 44

As it happens, quite unexpectedly, more than five dozen studies over the past half century have collectively shown that smoking tobacco is indeed associated with significantly lower incidence of Parkinson’s disease. 45 Valiant attempts have failed to explain away these findings. Maybe, public health scientists countered, it’s because smokers are dying off before they get Parkinson’s. No, smoking appears protective at all ages. 46 Maybe it’s because smokers drink more coffee, which we know to be protective. 47 No, the protective effect remained even after researchers controlled studies for coffee intake. 48 Identical-twin studies helped rule out genetic factors in the link. 49 Even simply growing up in a home where your parents smoked appears protective when it comes to developing Parkinson’s. 50 So was the tobacco industry right? Does it even matter?

Since the surgeon general’s groundbreaking 1964 report, more than twenty million Americans have died as a result of smoking. 51 Even if you didn’t care about dying from lung cancer or emphysema, even if you cared only about protecting your brain, you still shouldn’t smoke, because smoking is a significant risk factor for stroke. 52 But what if you could get the benefits of smoking without the risks?

Maybe you can. The neuroprotective agent in tobacco appears to be nicotine. 53 Tobacco is part of the nightshade family, the group of plants that includes tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers. It turns out they all contain nicotine, too, but in such trace amounts— hundreds of times less than what’s found in a single cigarette— that the protective potential of vegetables was dismissed as inconsequential. 54 But then it was discovered that just one to two puffs of a cigarette can saturate half of your brain’s nicotine receptors. 55 Then we learned that even exposure to secondhand smoke may lower the risk of Parkinson’s56 and that the amount of nicotine exposure sitting in a smoky restaurant is on the same order as what you might get from eating a healthy meal in a smoke-free restaurant. 57 So might eating lots of nightshade vegetables protect you from Parkinson’s after all?

Researchers at the University of Washington decided to find out. When they tested for nicotine, they found none in eggplants, just a little in potatoes, some in tomatoes, and more significant amounts in bell peppers. These results were consistent with what researchers found when they studied nearly five hundred newly diagnosed Parkinson’s patients compared to controls. Eating nicotine-rich vegetables, especially peppers, was associated with significantly lower risk of Parkinson’s disease. 58 (This effect was found only in the nonsmokers, which makes sense because the flood of nicotine from cigarettes would likely overwhelm any dietary effect.) This study may help explain previous protective associations in terms of Parkinson’s risk that had been tenuously found for tomato and potato consumption, as well as for the nightshade-rich Mediterranean diet. 59

The University of Washington researchers concluded that more research is needed before individuals should consider dietary interventions to prevent Parkinson’s disease, but when that intervention is simply enjoying more healthy dishes like stuffed peppers with tomato sauce, I don’t see a reason why you should have to wait.

Dairy

Parkinson’s patients have been found to have elevated levels of an organochlorine pesticide in their bloodstreams, the class of largely banned pesticides that includes DDT. 60 Autopsy studies have also found elevated levels of pesticides in the brain tissue of those with Parkinson’s. 61 Elevated levels of other pollutants like PCBs were also found in their brains, and the higher certain PCB concentrations, the higher the degree of damage found specifically in the brain region thought to be responsible for the disease, called the substantia nigra. 62 As noted earlier, though many of these chemicals were banned decades ago, they may persist in the environment. You can continue to be exposed to them through the consumption of contaminated animal products in your diet, including dairy. 63 Indeed, people who eat dairy-free, plant-based diets were found to have significantly lower blood levels of the PCBs implicated in the development of Parkinson’s disease. 64

A meta-analysis of studies involving more than three hundred thousand participants found that overall dairy consumption was associated with significantly increased risk of Parkinson’s disease. They estimated that Parkinson’s risk may increase 17 percent for every daily cup of milk consumed. 65 “Contamination of milk with neurotoxins may be of critical importance,” researchers offered by way of explanation. 66 For example, neurotoxic chemicals like tetrahydroisoquinoline, a compound used to induce parkinsonism in primates in laboratory studies, 67 appears to be found predominantly in cheese. 68 The concentrations found were low, but the concern is that they may accumulate over a lifetime of consumption, 69 resulting in the elevated levels found in the brains of Parkinson’s patients. 70 There have been calls on the dairy industry to require screening of milk for such toxins, 71 but they have so far gone unanswered.

A recent nutrition journal editorial considered the case closed: “The only possible explanation for this effect is the evidence of the contamination of milk by neurotoxins.” 72 But there are alternate explanations for the “clear-cut” link between dairy and Parkinson’s. 73 For example, pollutant levels wouldn’t explain why Parkinson’s appears more closely tied to the consumption of the milk sugar lactose than to milk fat, 74 more closely tied to milk than to butter. 75 So maybe the culprit is galactose, the sugar in milk described in chapter 13, blamed for an increased risk of bone fractures, cancer, and death. 76 Those with an inability to detoxify the galactose in milk not only suffer damage to their bones but also to their brains. 77 This may help explain the link between milk intake and Parkinson’s, as well as the link between milk and another neurodegenerative disease called Huntington’s disease. Indeed, higher consumption of dairy products appears to double the risk of earlier-onset Huntington’s. 78

Another explanation is that milk consumption lowers blood levels of uric acid, an important brain antioxidant79 shown to protect nerve cells against the oxidative stress caused by pesticides. 80 Uric acid may slow the progression of Huntington’s81 and Parkinson’s, 82 and, most importantly, may lower the risk of getting Parkinson’s in the first place. 83 Too much uric acid, however, can crystallize in your joints and cause a painful disease called gout, so uric acid can be thought of as a double-edged sword. 84 Too much uric acid is also associated with heart disease and kidney disease; too little, with Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, and stroke. 85 Those on dairy-free, plant-based diets appear to hit the sweet spot86 in terms of most optimal uric acid levels for longevity. 87

Milk may not do a body good, at least when it comes to your bones and brain.

Plant-Based Diets and Pollutants

As we’ve discussed, organochlorines are a group of chemicals that includes dioxins, PCBs, and such insecticides as DDT. Although most were banned decades ago, they persist in the environment and creep up the food chain into the fat of the animals people eat.

What if you don’t eat any animal products at all? Researchers have “found that vegans were significantly less polluted than omnivores” when measuring levels of organochlorines in their blood, including a variety of PCBs and one of Monsanto’s long-banned Aroclor compounds. 88 This finding is consistent with studies showing higher levels of organochlorine pesticides in the body fat89 and breast milk90 of those who eat meat.

People eating completely plant-based diets have also been found to have markedly lower levels of dioxins in their bodies91 as well as decreased contamination with PBDEs, 92 the flame-retardant chemical pollutants also linked to neurological problems. 93 No surprise: The highest levels of flame retardants in the U.S. food supply have been found in fish, though the primary source of intake for most Americans is poultry, followed by processed meat. 94 This discovery helps explain the significantly lower levels of PBDEs in the bodies of those eating meat-free diets. 95 It appears that the more plant-based foods you eat and the longer you go without eating animal products, the lower your levels fall. 96 No regulatory limits have been set for PBDEs in food, but as U.S. Department of Agriculture researchers noted in a survey of flame-retardant chemicals in domestic meat and poultry, “reducing the levels of unnecessary, persistent, toxic compounds in food and your diet is certainly desirable.” 97

Eating healthier can also reduce the concentrations of heavy metals in your body. The levels of mercury in the hair of those eating plant-based diets were found to be up to ten times lower than of those who ate fish. 98 Within three months of switching to a plant-based diet, the levels of mercury, lead, and cadmium growing out in your hair appear to drop significantly (but build back up when meat and eggs are added back into the diet). 99 Unlike heavy metals, though, some organochlorine pollutants can stick around for decades. 100 Any DDT in your KFC may stay with you for the rest of your life.

Berries

Dr. James Parkinson, in his original, centuries-old description of the disease that bears his name, described a characteristic feature: “torpid” bowels, or constipation that may precede the diagnosis by many years. 101 We’ve since learned that bowel-movement frequency may even be predictive of Parkinson’s. Men with less than daily bowel movements, for instance, were found to be four times more likely to develop the disease years later. 102 Reverse causation has been suggested: Maybe constipation didn’t lead to Parkinson’s. Maybe Parkinson’s— even decades before it was diagnosed— led to constipation. This idea was supported by anecdotal evidence suggesting that throughout their lives, many who would go on to develop Parkinson’s reported never feeling very thirsty and, perhaps, decreased water intake contributed to their constipation. 103

Alternatively, given the link between dietary pollutants and Parkinson’s, constipation may be contributing directly to the disease: the longer feces stay in the bowel, the more neurotoxic chemicals in the diet may be absorbed. 104 There are now more than one hundred studies linking pesticides to an increased risk for Parkinson’s disease, 105 but many of them are based on subjects’ occupational or ambient exposure. Approximately one billion pounds of pesticides are applied annually in the United States, 106 and simply living or working in high-spray areas may increase your risk. 107 The use of common household pesticides like bug sprays is also associated with significantly increased risk. 108

How exactly do pesticides increase your risk for Parkinson’s? Scientists think they may cause DNA mutations that increase your susceptibility109 or affect the way certain proteins fold in your brain. In order for proteins to function effectively, they have to be the right shape. As you make new proteins in your cells, if they come out folded incorrectly, they are simply recycled, and your body tries again. Certain misfolded proteins, however, can take a shape that your body has difficulty breaking down. Should this glitch happen continuously, the malformed proteins can accumulate and result in the death of the brain’s nerve cells. Misfolded beta amyloid proteins, for example, are implicated in Alzheimer’s disease (see chapter 3); misfolded prion proteins cause mad cow disease, a different malformed protein causes Huntington’s; and misfolded alpha synuclein proteins can lead to Parkinson’s disease. 110 In the most comprehensive study of this sort to date, eight out of twelve common pesticides tested were able to trigger the accumulation of alpha synuclein proteins in human nerve cells in a petri dish. 111

As I’ve said, Parkinson’s disease is caused by the die-off of specialized nerve cells in a region of the brain that controls movement. By the time the first symptoms arise, 70 percent of these critical cells may already be dead. 112 Pesticides are so good at at killing these neurons that scientists often use pesticides in the laboratory to try to re-create Parkinson’s in animals to test new treatments. 113

If pesticides are killing off your brain cells, is there anything you can do to stop the process other than lowering your exposure to them? There are no known drugs that can prevent these misfolded proteins from accumulating, but certain phytonutrients called flavonoids— which are found in fruits and vegetables— may have protective effects. Researchers tested forty-eight different plant compounds able to cross the blood-brain barrier to see if any were able to stop alpha synuclein proteins from clumping together. To their surprise, not only did a variety of flavonoids inhibit these proteins from accumulating but they could also break up existing deposits. 114

This study suggests that by eating healthfully, you can reduce your exposure to pollutants while countering their effects at the same time. And when it comes to countering the effects of pesticides, berries may be particularly useful. In a head-to-head battle between pesticides and berries, researchers found that preincubating nerve cells with a blueberry extract allowed them to better withstand the debilitating effects of a common pesticide. 115 But most such studies were performed on cells in a petri dish. Is there any evidence in people that eating berries could make a difference?

A small study published decades ago suggested that the consumption of blueberries and strawberries might protect against Parkinson’s, 116 but the question remained largely unanswered until a Harvard University study of about 130,000 people found that people who eat more berries do indeed appear to have a significantly lower risk of developing the disease. 117

The editorial that accompanied the study in the journal Neurology concluded that more research is necessary, but “until then, an apple a day might be a good idea.” 118 Apples did appear protective against Parkinson’s, but only for men. Everyone, however, appeared to benefit from the consumption of blueberries and strawberries, the only berries included in the study. 119

If you do decide to follow my recommendation to eat berries every day, I would advise not serving them with cream. Not only has dairy been shown to block some of the beneficial effects of berries, 120 but, as we saw earlier, dairy products may contain compounds that cause the very damage the berries may be trying to undo.

Cannibalistic Feed Biomagnification

If people just eat from the bottom two levels of the food chain, only plants and plant eaters— that is, cows, pigs, and chickens fed grain and soybeans— why is the American populace so contaminated? Those of you who remember the mad cow disease story may know the answer. In modern agribusiness, there are essentially no more herbivores. Millions of tons of slaughterhouse by-products continue to be fed to farm animals in the United States every year. 121 Not only have we turned these animals into meat eaters but virtual cannibals as well. When we feed farm animals millions of tons of meat and bonemeal, we’re also feeding them any pollutants this feed may contain. Then, after those animals are slaughtered, their trimmings go to feed the next generation of farm animals, potentially concentrating the pollutant levels higher and higher. 122 So we can end up like polar bears or eagles at the top of the food chain and suffer the biomagnified pollutant consequences. When we eat these farmed animals, it’s almost as if we’re also eating every animal they ate.

The use of slaughterhouse by-products in animal feed can recycle both toxic heavy metals and industrial chemicals back into the food supply. Lead accumulates in animal bones and mercury in animal protein123 (which is why egg whites contain up to twenty times more mercury than do yolks). 124 Persistent lipophilic organic pollutants (known as PLOPs125— really!) build up in animal fat. Reducing meat consumption can help reduce exposure, but these contaminants can come back to us in a variety of animal products. “Although a vegetarian lifestyle can lower the body burden of PLOP, MMHg [mercury], and lead,” one toxicologist noted, “such benefits can be undermined by the consumption of contaminated milk and egg products. Farm animals that have been fed contaminated animal products produce contaminated milk and egg products.” 126

If you want to drop your PLOP, eat as low as possible on the food chain.

Coffee for Preventing and Treating Parkinson’s Disease

Could your cup of morning joe help prevent and perhaps even help treat one of our most crippling neurodegenerative conditions? It appears so.

There have been at least nineteen studies performed on the role coffee may play in Parkinson’s, and overall, coffee consumption is associated with about one-third lower risk. 127 The key ingredient appears to be the caffeine, since tea also seems protective128 and decaf coffee does not. 129 Like the berry phytonutrients, caffeine has been shown to protect human nerve cells in a petri dish from being killed by a pesticide and other neurotoxins. 130

What about coffee for treating Parkinson’s? In a randomized controlled trial, giving Parkinson’s patients the caffeine equivalent of two cups of coffee a day (or approximately four cups of black tea or eight cups of green tea) significantly improved movement symptoms within three weeks. 131

Of course, there’s only so much you can charge for a cup of coffee, so drug companies have tried to tweak caffeine into new experimental drugs, such as preladenant and istradefylline. But it turns out they don’t appear to work any better than plain coffee, which is far cheaper and has a better safety record. 132

There are a number of simple things you can do that may decrease your risk of dying from Parkinson’s disease. You can wear seat belts and bicycle helmets to avoid getting hit in the head, you can exercise regularly, 133 avoid becoming overweight, 134 consume peppers, berries, and green tea, and minimize your exposure to pesticides, heavy metals, and dairy and other animal products. It’s worth it. Trust me when I say that no family should have to endure the tragedy of Parkinson’s.

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby Alfred » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Only clicked on here to find out who the hell "Dr. GERger" was ...lol
Alfred

Postby Werner1950 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:37 am

Whoa. You sure you didn't break some copyright law there, Patty? :)

I havhe never come across his dissing potatoes. What does he say about them? I am curious.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby patty » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:36 am

Werner1950 wrote:Whoa. You sure you didn't break some copyright law there, Patty? :)

I havhe never come across his dissing potatoes. What does he say about them? I am curious.

Oh I should edit to say dissing the white (russet) potato:) He isn't the only plant base doctor that does it. In essence it doesn't have the same amount of nutrients as the others. Someone else can probably explain the reason scientifically why. For myself I don't know if it is a distraction to create a designer diet/lifestyle to limit the starch for the allowance of nuts/healthy fats. Many families eat russet potatoes as many Asians eat white rice.

Besides my daughter's father in-law having the condition of Parkinson's as a home health aide I have worked and witnessed many people with this insidious disease. It needs to be eradicated. I have heard it said that diabetes is the worst disease to pass from because it is limb by limb. I feel Parkinson's by far is the worst of all of them. I was sharing with someone that Robin Williams who had the condition of Parkinson's committed suicide. What is frightening is the side effects of some of the medication they put them on. I think that scares me more than the actual condition. I know Robin Willams had many years of recovery from alcohol and drugs. As Dr Greger so clearly shares the genes are the gun and lifestyle pulls the trigger. Robin Willams must have gotten that message through his recovery of alcohol and drugs. I have a feeling the combination of prescription drugs and physical impairment with the knowledge of his condition of Parkinson's he felt no hope. And Dr Greger's message totally changes that, not only for the recipient but their family, and families therefor after.

My heart goes out to those and their families who have to suffer this insidious disease needlessly. And of course that can be my daughter's husband and their children. When my daughter's father in-law behavior became erratic I had to tell her to talk to his doctor about the medication and remind her it was the medication not her father in-law. He was a World War II Vet.. and they were pretty much exposed to Agent Orange. Dr. Greger shares about the harmful effects of the pesticides we are all exposed through consumption of animal/plants etc. They are stored within the fat within our bodies and transcend to future generations through conception. I feel those around someone with the condition of Parkinson's can collectively help when they change their lifestyle as we have mirror neurons. When Betty Ford openly admitted she was a alcoholic, opened doors for recovery for the woman alcoholic. Prior to that she was thought of as a slut/whore/closet drunk. Where today we again no the genes are the gun lifestyle pulls the trigger.

As for the copyright issue I feel the message is more important like dissing the white potato. Each person has to figure it out. There is no authorship. Collectively as addicts we are all anonymous. I gift Dr Mc Dougall's and Dr Esselstyn books out and now I have started to include Dr Greger's book with the caution of nuts of course:)

Mahalo.. for the questioning.. a resonance happens that is indescribable.

Aloha, Patty
patty

Return to The Lounge