Rice or Almond milk

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Rice or Almond milk

Postby frozenveg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:56 pm

Kpauld wrote:I am not allowed any nuts since I am on the heart program so I may look at how to do the rice milk. The one I bought had added fats, so it went down the drain. I have oatmeal most days but want some variety - for now - I am doing well. Not losing any weight and blood pressure has not gone down, but I feel better. I'm sure it takes a while for changes like that in one's body.

OK! I just looked it up, and making brown rice milk is the same as making milk from nuts - the same proportions. So 1/4 cup cooked brown rice, and 1 cup of water. Blend for a minute or so and there you go! You may want to strain it through cheesecloth or a very fine strainer, but that is up to you.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Kpauld » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:15 am

@ enlightened - that may be true - but I am not there yet. I neve used to eat breakfast at all, so this. Is step in the right direction for me I think. I appreciate everyone who has commented - right now, I am learning a LOT and every commen5 is great.
Kpauld

Postby Willijan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:57 am

Kpauld wrote:
viv wrote:I use unsweetened almond milk, It has 30 calories and 2.5 mg fat per cup. I use it on my oatmeal and in my tea.

Viv

Do you have a brand name, Viv? Mine is also unsweetened Almond milk, but clearly, there is more fat in the brand I bought. I'm not sure we get all the same products in Canada either...

The brand I use is Silk, Unsweetened Almond Milk. Like Viv's, this one has 30 calories and 2.5 g per cup. If you look at the ingredient list, there are no added oils.

Unfortunately, there are added vitamins and minerals, but that is true of every non-dairy milk I have seen. I just do not have time to make my own milk, so I'm not going to worry about that.
Willijan

Postby miranda2060 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:47 am

We use almond milk but much less of it since we discovered banana milk -- bananas and water, plus any flavorings you like (e.g. vanilla), whirred in the blender. Great over oatmeal or cereal. The only fat is that which naturally occurs in bananas.
miranda2060

Postby haze5736 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:53 am

f1jim wrote:Even with this knowledge stay vigilant. Ingredients change regularly and you can be pleasantly surprised or disappointed with every trip to the market.
f1jim

Good advice. We just figured this out the hard way. We have been buying a pasta sauce that had all good ingredients and was low fat, 1/2 gram per serving. So we keep it in the house for emergency use to whip up a quick meal when time is short. They changed the label but my wife didn't think to check the ingredients. She noticed they added to the label, No sugar added. Turns out they removed the 1/2 gram per serving of sugar and added 9 times the amount of fat. From 1/2 gram to 4 1/2 gram.
haze5736

Postby frozenveg » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:54 am

haze5736 wrote:
f1jim wrote:Even with this knowledge stay vigilant. Ingredients change regularly and you can be pleasantly surprised or disappointed with every trip to the market.
f1jim

Good advice. We just figured this out the hard way. We have been buying a pasta sauce that had all good ingredients and was low fat, 1/2 gram per serving. So we keep it in the house for emergency use to whip up a quick meal when time is short. They changed the label but my wife didn't think to check the ingredients. She noticed they added to the label, No sugar added. Turns out they removed the 1/2 gram per serving of sugar and added 9 times the amount of fat. From 1/2 gram to 4 1/2 gram.

One of things that Jeff Novick emphasizes is to not just read the "% Daily Value" ratings, which can be helpful but are often confusing, but to also read that ingredient list!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby f1jim » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:24 am

Agreed. I would even say read the ingredient list first. If it has good ingredients it's near impossible to get in trouble.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Previous

Return to The Lounge