Rice or Almond milk

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rice or Almond milk

Postby Kpauld » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:36 am

I have been buying rice and almond milk for my cereal in the morning and in looking at the package, they both have fats in them. Are they acceptable for this diet? If not, what do others use for cereals? Other than these milks, I only drink water and herbal teas; neither of which I would use in cereal.
Kpauld

Re: Rice or Almond milk

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:14 pm

No added fats or oils. Find a brand of non-dairy milk that doesn't have any or make your own. Mary McDougall has been making her own rice milk from white rice for decades - takes just a few minutes, some uncooked white (or brown, if you prefer) rice (1 cup), water ( 4 cups), a blender (high powered one not necessary), and a strainer.

If you don't want to search for a safer non-dairy milk, you can always use juice to wet your cereal, or do as Ann Esselstyn does and just put in cut up pieces of fruit - her favorite is grapes.

If you go to the Education drop down menu above left and go down to the Recipes, and the Canned & Packaged foods link, you'll find another link to the list of McDougall approved plant milks. But always read labels, anyway - the list hasn't been updated in years, as far as I know, and companies change ingredients without warning.
VeggieSue

Postby kirkj » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:48 pm

Just to clarify, look for oils and fats in the list of ingredients, not the calories from fat, saturated fat etc. Just plain rice has some fat in it and almonds certainly do.
kirkj

Postby Kpauld » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:17 pm

kirkj wrote:Just to clarify, look for oils and fats in the list of ingredients, not the calories from fat, saturated fat etc. Just plain rice has some fat in it and almonds certainly do.

So, the milk says 30 calories per 250 gram serving (8 oz) and it is 4% fat content on the almond milk. The rice milk is 130 calories with 4% fat content. I am pretty new to this and trying to take in all the stuff there is to take in - confusing for me.

I will continue to do some reading. I have also bought two cookbooks from the China Study and they allow all kinds of things that Dr. Esslestyn and Dr. McDougall don't. All of them promote a plant diet but Dr. McDougall's is definitely higher on the starch than the others.
Kpauld

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:41 am

Kpauld wrote:So, the milk says 30 calories per 250 gram serving (8 oz) and it is 4% fat content on the almond milk. The rice milk is 130 calories with 4% fat content.

But most likely the almond milk has no added fat but the rice milk does, so in this case, the almond milk is healthier and the rice milk is not allowed.

I am pretty new to this and trying to take in all the stuff there is to take in - confusing for me.

Everyone here was new once. You'll get the hang of it.

I have also bought two cookbooks from the China Study and they allow all kinds of things that Dr. Esslestyn and Dr. McDougall don't.

Oh, yeah, especially if you're trying to lose weight! The China Study, as well as Rip Esselstyn's books (Engine 2 Diet/Plant Strong - same book, My Beef With Meat, or his new 7 Day Rescue) are for people new to the whole foods, plant based way of living. Rip calls his books "plant strong" whereas his father's (and Dr. McDougall's) are "plant perfect".

All of them promote a plant diet but Dr. McDougall's is definitely higher on the starch than the others.

Dr. E is geared towards people with heart disease, so his emphasis is on greens (with vinegar, to help release the nitric oxide that help bathe the endothelial cells in oxygen) 6 times a day. Dr. McD is toward general health and sustainability, hence the emphasis on easy to obtain, cheap starches.
VeggieSue

Postby glo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:51 am

I was also confused by the differences in Dr. Esselstyn's diet recommendations, Rip's recommendations, and Dr. McDougall's. Thank you VeggieSue for this explanation.
Also for saying we were all new at one time. I have so much to learn. Thanks all! - glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Postby f1jim » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:09 am

On this program you learn to scan the ingredient list of EVERYTHING looking for adde oils and fats. Around my house we do a happy dance when we find "milks," veggie broths, almost anything that leaves out the added oils.
Soon you will get to know which brands to look for and which to avoid.
Even with this knowledge stay vigilant. Ingredients change regularly and you can be pleasantly surprised or disappointed with every trip to the market.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Kpauld » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks again to everyone for responses. I am most concerned about my heart. James, you too had problems with your heart, correct?

veggie Sue - thanks for your kind words and helping us all understand the differences. Greatly appreciated. This discussion board is very important to me right now as I don't have support with friends or family yet. I've been trying to find if there is antything similar in Okanagan area of B.C. Canada but no luck so far...
Kpauld

Postby Kpauld » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:58 pm

By the way, you are right Veggie Sue - there is added fat with the rice milk - safflower oil. Duh...I wasn't very good at reading that label! :lol:
Kpauld

Postby viv » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:18 pm

I use unsweetened almond milk, It has 30 calories and 2.5 mg fat per cup. I use it on my oatmeal and in my tea.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Kpauld » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:41 pm

viv wrote:I use unsweetened almond milk, It has 30 calories and 2.5 mg fat per cup. I use it on my oatmeal and in my tea.

Viv

Do you have a brand name, Viv? Mine is also unsweetened Almond milk, but clearly, there is more fat in the brand I bought. I'm not sure we get all the same products in Canada either...
Kpauld

Postby frozenveg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:34 am

If you have a blender, you can make your own nut milk (and probably rice milk, too) in a couple of minutes. I usually use cashews, but when I can get raw blanched almonds (no skin!), I use that, too. The proportion is 1/4 cup nuts to a cup of water. Then you're set.

Your alternative, which is the road I took, is to stop eating cold cereal! I don't use any "milks" on my cooked, rolled whole-grain cereals.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Kpauld » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:38 pm

I am not allowed any nuts since I am on the heart program so I may look at how to do the rice milk. The one I bought had added fats, so it went down the drain. I have oatmeal most days but want some variety - for now - I am doing well. Not losing any weight and blood pressure has not gone down, but I feel better. I'm sure it takes a while for changes like that in one's body.
Kpauld

Postby Sagefemme » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:55 pm

Perhaps if you are avoiding nuts you should also avoid nut milk? The nut prohibition for heart patients is about their high fat content, and the fact they are delicious and easy to over-consume. Almond milk usually has a low absolute number of fat grams, but almost all the calories in it come from fat. So, maybe another cereal "moistener" would be healthier for you. All of this is confusing and sometimes seems contradictory at first. Do your best and you will soon discover what works best for you.
Sagefemme

Postby enlightened » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:35 pm

Who needs milk of any kind? Ditto breakfast cereal.
enlightened

Next

Return to The Lounge