Digestive/IBS issues from potatoes?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Digestive/IBS issues from potatoes?

Postby grannyguru » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:19 am

I just tried eating potatoes with a tasty no fat vegan gravy. I was very happy to discover I don't seem to tire of eating this, supplemented with yams and yam no oil no added sugar pie. I ate this for a week and a half. I had wanted to continue eating this, as I had had a really hard time sticking to the Mcdougall diet.

Then I developed worsening diarrhea. I have type 1 diabetes and am obese and trying to lose weight and improve my health. I take pills that require I take them with food, on schedule.

I had been using cashew milk to mash the potatoes. I have used cashew milk for years with no problem with mashed potatoes and instead of coconut milk in Thai food. I don't use that much cashew milk.

At first I thought the diarrhea might be the flu or whatever. But it kept getting worse. I took Imodium two nights in a row and switched to white rice and a box of stove top type stuffing.

Online research showed that some people cannot eat potatoes, and one of the problems they develop is diarrhea. There is s substance solanine alkaloids in potatoes. Apparently this is what potatoes with green under the skin have. My potatoes were not "green" like that.

I am really disappointed because I've been reading about people using the potato diet and how great it was. It really simplified things for me.

I am going to try the potatoes again, this time mashing them without cashew milk, in case that is the problem. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has any helpful info?

Thanks.

I will let folks know what happens if I try the potatoes with zero cashew milk and no other additives.
grannyguru

Re: Digestive/IBS issues from potatoes?

Postby Timaca » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 am

Yams and sweet potatoes are not the same as other kinds of potatoes (russets, yukon gold, red, etc). You could try eating those instead.....
Timaca

Postby Timaca » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:07 am

You can also try eating grains and/or legumes.....they don't have solanine....
Timaca

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:11 am

Timaca wrote:Yams and sweet potatoes are not the same as other kinds of potatoes (russets, yukon gold, red, etc). You could try eating those instead.....

Indeed, sweet potatoes do not belong to the same family as potatoes - and don't get me started on yams, or 'true yams'. An excellent substitute for potatoes I think.
I write about sweet potatoes in a food tip series that I post for my local community garden.
Here is the link;
https://sites.google.com/site/qhuccommunitygarden/peter-s-food-tips-from-our-garden
Scroll down the page to access the food tip for sweet potatoes - that's I for Ipomoea Batas which is the scientific name for the sweet potato
Pumpkin Pete

Postby vegman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:29 pm

You may want to try plain potatoes with no other stuff mixed in or added, to make sure the cashews, the gravy, etc. are not the problem. I eat lot of microwaved potatoes, plain, with vegetables, and find them delicious all by themselves.

Also, there may be problem ingredients in the yam pie.

grannyguru wrote:I just tried eating potatoes with a tasty no fat vegan gravy. I was very happy to discover I don't seem to tire of eating this, supplemented with yams and yam no oil no added sugar pie. I ate this for a week and a half. I had wanted to continue eating this, as I had had a really hard time sticking to the Mcdougall diet.

Then I developed worsening diarrhea. I have type 1 diabetes and am obese and trying to lose weight and improve my health. I take pills that require I take them with food, on schedule.

I had been using cashew milk to mash the potatoes. I have used cashew milk for years with no problem with mashed potatoes and instead of coconut milk in Thai food. I don't use that much cashew milk.

At first I thought the diarrhea might be the flu or whatever. But it kept getting worse. I took Imodium two nights in a row and switched to white rice and a box of stove top type stuffing.

Online research showed that some people cannot eat potatoes, and one of the problems they develop is diarrhea. There is s substance solanine alkaloids in potatoes. Apparently this is what potatoes with green under the skin have. My potatoes were not "green" like that.

I am really disappointed because I've been reading about people using the potato diet and how great it was. It really simplified things for me.

I am going to try the potatoes again, this time mashing them without cashew milk, in case that is the problem. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has any helpful info?

Thanks.

I will let folks know what happens if I try the potatoes with zero cashew milk and no other additives.
vegman

Re: Digestive/IBS issues from potatoes? Yam pie

Postby grannyguru » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:44 am

Thanks!

Just as a note: the ingredients in the yam pie filling are yams, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cornstarch. The recipe also calls for maple syrup or dates. But I find it plenty sweet without the added sweetener. It's amazing; to me it tastes like pumpkin pie, which I love but no longer eat due to ingredients of egg, evaporated milk, sugar, etc.

But thanks for the support and suggestions.

Have a great day!
grannyguru

Postby MINNIE » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:36 am

I hope you will resolve this soon, and go back to enjoying a starch-based diet. f you I try a simple elimination diet to rule out the problem foods, you will find some starches that work for you.

If it turns out that you can't eat potatoes (nightshade family), but can eat sweet potatoes (ipomea varieties) you will still have a a delicious and nutritious staple food.

If you like the texture and flavor of white potatoes, you might try the white Jersey sweet potato.
http://www.goodnessgreeness.com/jersey- ... s-10-v2284

It tastes similar a russet potato but doesn't have the irritants that some people find in white potatoes. There are so many kinds of sweet potatoes (white, orange, yellow and purple- fleshed ) that you won't be bored :).
MINNIE

Return to The Lounge