In Recovery (eating disorder)

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

In Recovery (eating disorder)

Postby clevelandyogi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:33 pm

I will keep this brief and to the point. I as a teen had anorexia and then later on as an adult had full blown binge eating disorder. I am now one year in recovery from binge eating and no longer binge but the weight didn't magically come off ( I didn't expect it to). I was a vegetarian for years and recently left the rest of the animal products. That's when I discovered McDoughall.

I am just so terrified that I have damaged my body so much none of the weight will come off. I am afraid of the advice on this forum because I see so many dieting behaviors instead of lifestyle behaviors. All my lab results are perfect and there's no medical reason I wouldn't be able to achieve a healthier weight. I don't care if the scale doesn't budge for a few months while my body adjusts and if it needs to renourish. I am just terrified I am somehow stuck.

I posted on this board because I was afraid I would get triggering advice on the rest of the forum.
clevelandyogi

Re: In Recovery (eating disorder)

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:15 pm

I don't know how much of Dr McDougall's work you have read but pending Dr Lisle answering, one thing you could do that might help ease your mind is read the blog post (linked below) by Jeff Novick who has his own forum on these boards and is a deeply experienced, wise, and compassionate person. That would also be a safe place for you to post since he does not allow anyone but the person with the question to post on that thread and he is quite experienced with all sorts of issues. Reading his blog post will give you a more detailed "look under the hood" of how this way of eating works and may be quite reassuring. It is pretty much impossible to not attain a healthy weight by following the basic principles of DrMcDougall's Starch Solution which Jeff goes into in the post. It is ultimately very simple and adjustable per your need and response to starting it. I wish you well on your journey to even greater health.

Calorie Density details
GeoffreyLevens

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:18 am

Here is similar but different discussion on Jeff's forum

Food really unlimited?
GeoffreyLevens

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:26 am

T-bone, congratulations on great success! Figuring out what you need based on your own body's sensations and results is always key I think. Not often easy but always necessary. I call people like you (and me!) denizens of the tails of the bell curve because in all research, all established programs, there is always at least a sort of mental map the shows quite correctly that by far most people cluster together in their needs and responses to whatever inputs are being considered. But there are most always a few who don't quite fit and they generally are invisible because of that. That can make things a lot more challenging but you sure do learn a lot! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
GeoffreyLevens

Return to The Lounge