Can cholesterol be too low?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can cholesterol be too low?

Postby lucidguppy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:37 am

So I don't have a before reading, I remember my total cholesterol was 145 a year before the starch solution. (When I was getting out of college it was at 110 - so I've never really had a problem with cholesterol).

After more than a year on the starch solution:

Total: 87 mg/dL
HDL: 42 mg/dL
Trig: 56 mg/dL
LDL: 34 mg/dL

Can cholesterol be too low? I want to post this in my testimonial :-D
lucidguppy

Re: Can cholesterol be too low?

Postby pundit999 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:14 am

Now this is someone who does not have to worry about heart disease :-)

I have read a lot about cholesterol but never came across anything that said that cholesterol could be too low.

I don't think you have to worry since your low cholesterol is natural and not a result of taking meds.
pundit999

Postby f1jim » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:03 am

Enjoy your numbers. You have TC like someone living in rural China.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby FakeCanadian » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:40 pm

Pertinent to this thread, I just got lectured yesterday by my GP regarding too-low LDL. My lipid numbers:

TC = 91
LDL = 27
HDL = 46
Trigs = 93

My LDL normally runs ~45, so this is quite a bit lower than usual, for reasons unknown. But too low? Show me some evidence. My Internist once told me that "there are no data" on cholesterol levels in the range I was plumbing.
FakeCanadian

Postby FakeCanadian » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks much for posting this, fascinating stuff.

Lots of interesting nuggets in this article, but a couple of my takeaways:

"Observational studies show a continuous positive relationship between CHD risk and LDL levels that extends well below the average range seen in modern populations without any definite threshold where lower LDL concentrations are not associated with lower risk (27)."

"Interestingly, the LDL level at which the cardiovascular event rate is predicted to approach 0 is 57 mg/dl for primary prevention and 30 mg/dl for secondary prevention."

If I understood correctly, the posited "optimal" target LDL range of 50-70 would lead to a halt in atherosclerosis. But what about reversal, which for me is a goal much superior to halting CHD progression? Might LDL lower than 50-70 be necessary, along with a truly healthful diet, at least for some, to achieve reversal?

I'm not sure how to reconcile these two pieces:

"Cholesterol is an essential component of the cell membrane and an obligate precursor for bile acid, steroid hormone, and vitamin D synthesis. Consequently, it is likely that a physiologically ideal range of blood cholesterol exists above and below which adverse health consequences might be expected."

and a bit later:

"People with heterozygous hypobetalipoproteinemia have total cholesterol levels as low as 80 mg/dl and LDL cholesterol levels as low as 30 mg/dl (30). This condition is associated with longevity (31), presumably due to the absence of atherosclerosis, but the lack of other adverse effects that might have accompanied a low LDL level suggests that such low levels of LDL are safe."

Are the authors suggesting that, if there is cholesterol threshold below which harm is likely, than that threshold is below 80 TC and 30 LDL?

Lots of food for thought in this article, thanks again for posting. I need to read it about 5 more times. :)

A tangential point I'd make is that all the LDL reductions cited in the study seem to have been accomplished through statins. Imagine how much better to accomplish similar cholesterol effects through a WFPB diet and then, as a huge bonus, get all the other many benefits as well!
FakeCanadian

Postby Shinfan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:02 pm

My husband got his bloodwork result, and everything is within the normal range. However, I noticed that his LDL is 104.
Is this too high on a plant based diet? I just learned that high amount of cell phone radiation can contribute to high LDL, too. Therefore, I would like to know what is the recommended LDL number on a plant based diet. Thank you. This is my first post, and I am new to posting and I am not sure how to post a new questions, so I am trying this feature. Thank you.
Shinfan

Postby landog » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:48 pm

lucidguppy wrote:Can cholesterol be too low?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXzlrylrFV0

You may be interested in the comments from Dr. Kim Allan Williams about LDL not being 'too low" in this video of a panel discussion with Dr. Pam Popper, T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Esselstyn.

Check around the 3 minute mark until 7:30.

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby landog » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Shinfan wrote:My husband got his bloodwork result, and everything is within the normal range. However, I noticed that his LDL is 104.
Is this too high on a plant based diet? I just learned that high amount of cell phone radiation can contribute to high LDL, too. Therefore, I would like to know what is the recommended LDL number on a plant based diet. Thank you. This is my first post, and I am new to posting and I am not sure how to post a new questions, so I am trying this feature. Thank you.

Hello,

Dr. McDougall's recommendation can be found here: http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/020900pucholesterol.htm

Be well,
-dog
landog

Return to The Lounge