Aumakua/Totem Animal

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Aumakua/Totem Animal

Postby patty » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:55 am

Aumakua/Totem animal

I was asking someone about their Aumakua/Totem animal and it was the Eel. I then remembered Joseph Campbell's Hawaiian story of the Eel. In doing a search I found the transcript of Joseph Campbell being interviewed by Bill Moyer. The Power of Myth — ‘Sacrifice and Bliss' on Bill Moyers site: http://billmoyers.com/content/ep-4-jose ... and-bliss-

In essence Joseph Campbell in the above episode shares about when our ancestors turned from hunter to planter. Their stories become total/one of birth, death and resurrection which is like indigenous language. He shares how important it is for each person to have a scared place and that is where your Aumakua/Totem animal comes into place. And of course you can have more than one:) The Hawaiian story is where the Eel is the lover and the killer and they are One, and the lover never lets go. When you align with nature you become aligned.

Aloha, Patty
patty

Re: Aumakua/Totem Animal

Postby mountain » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:24 am

And here is what Einstein said:

http://www.humanedecisions.com/wp-conte ... -human.jpg

and I am sure when he said it, he meant the real meaning of the word: Vegetarian!
mountain

Re: Aumakua/Totem Animal

Postby patty » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:42 am

mountain wrote:And here is what Einstein said:

http://www.humanedecisions.com/wp-conte ... -human.jpg

and I am sure when he said it, he meant the real meaning of the word: Vegetarian!

I am sure he did. Another favorite Einstein quote of mine is: "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." And of course the Satiety of being Starch based allows us to think them through.

I am so grateful Dr McDougall survived medical school after the surgeon took out his healthy appendix and was able to think his diet through to later write "Dr Mc Dougall's Digestive Tune-Up" and of course so many other books to support a healthy heart lifestyle.

Aloha, Patty

Edit to add from The Power of the Myth: "As our ancestors turned from hunting to planting, the stories they told to interpret the mysteries of life changed, too. Now the seed instead of the animal became the symbol of life, death and resurrection. The plant died, was buried, and its seed born again. To spiritual visionaries this image reveals a divine truth as well as a principle of life itself. From death comes life; from sacrifice, bliss." I love in "The Starch Solution" Dr. McDougall shares plants survive all season Starch Based. Summer doesn't oppose winter.
patty

Return to The Lounge