Very Confused

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Very Confused

Postby jnite44 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Hello, I started eating vegan almost 3 months ago. I've had some improvements but still in alot of pain in my feet (was bad all over my body). It's been hard finding food that I don't react to. When my pain came down a bit I was finally able to see what foods were causing big problems. One was sweet potatos which is what I've been eating since I got sick. The only food I've been eating for breakfast lunch and dinner is white rice (brown not good with me) peas, zucchini and broccoli. I'm afraid I'm not getting enough nutrition. Throughout this illness my thyroid has went hyper and I can control it with raw Broccoli however since going on the all cooked diet I stopped. It now went hyper again so I started eating the raw Broccoli. It's now normal again however I notice when I eat the brocolli raw I might be getting alittle bit of a negative reaction (??) So my questions are is what I'm eating enough vitamins and minerals and is the raw Broccoli going to prevent me from getting better?
Thank you
Jennifer
jnite44

Re: Very Confused

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:36 pm

Should get enough micronutrients from white rice and vegetables (this was the diet of a billion chinese around the 1970s). Can eat some raw greens for vitamin c. Vitamin D from sunshine. If worried about not getting enough iodine, can include tiny amounts of seaweeds like wakame. Should also take vitamin b12 supplements. I try to eat cooked mushrooms every day if possible. Today, I am cooking my whole grain spaghetti pasta soup which I pour over raw greens like tuscan kale and salsa. The whole grain spaghetti pasta cooks in just 9 minutes and I will boil it together with the maitake mushroom.
colonyofcells

Postby DWu » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Have you thought about trying the elimination diet? All foods should be cooked.

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougal ... pudiet.htm
DWu

Postby jnite44 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:02 am

Thank You for your responses. I am on the elimination diet that's one of my concerns about the raw Broccoli. I have to eat it raw to control hyperthyroid and I'm afraid it could stop my progress. I'm in a very bad place. I'm very tired of the struggle. Finally my pain started to improve after two years of severe suffering and my thyroid goes hyper, it's just too much. I thought eating vegan would fix whatever is going on with my thyroid and instead it went hyper again
jnite44

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Hyper thyroid probably requires treatment by doctor.
colonyofcells

Postby patty » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:30 pm

jnite44 wrote:Thank You for your responses. I am on the elimination diet that's one of my concerns about the raw Broccoli. I have to eat it raw to control hyperthyroid and I'm afraid it could stop my progress. I'm in a very bad place. I'm very tired of the struggle. Finally my pain started to improve after two years of severe suffering and my thyroid goes hyper, it's just too much. I thought eating vegan would fix whatever is going on with my thyroid and instead it went hyper again

I did a quick search. Here is a link to Dr McDougall's 2005 Newsletter https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... hyroid.htm Have you thought of emailing Dr McDougall? Wishing you the best of health.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby viv » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Going plant based will definitely help your overall health but first you need to be evaluated for your thyroid condition. You mention you are hyper thyroid. Do you mean Graves Disease which is an overactive thyroid gland or do you mean hypothyroid which is an under active thyroid gland?

They are both treated very differently. You should be evaluated by a doctor, preferably an endinocrinolgist, to find out your thyroid hormone levels and get medication to stabilize your thyroid. Untreated thyroid disease can have serious physical and mental health consequences. Broccoli will not help your thyroid and might make it worse.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Lesliec1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:54 am

A few thoughts:

Like Viv said, deal with the thyroid first. I don't understand the connection between broccoli and thyroid. What happens when you stop eating broccoli? Do some symptoms happen?

How long have you been eating just those items? You said you already feel some improvements. That's good! It works slowly. When you are still in pain, it's easy to get impatient but if you have noticed some improvements, that's a big deal and it will continue! It is VERY important to notice any changes. That's how you know this will work. I noticed one change in 10 days. The rest took a long time.

An elimination diet is temporary so you do not have to worry about nutrition.

If you eat those 4 items for a while and don't feel any better, change the items. BUT I wouldn't change yet. Give it time and notice all the SMALL improvements. You don't have to only eat 4 items but that's fine if you want to.

Keep posting for encouragement and support.
Lesliec1

Return to The Lounge