getting down and getting up exercise

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: getting down and getting up exercise

Postby Birdy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:47 am

I love that Jay Armstrong video. I've been looking for a simple floor exercise routine that would improve my strength, balance, etc. And walking is already my primary exercise. Thanks very much for posting!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:04 am

Werner1950 wrote:
lifetime of "too much fun" playing football, marital arts, snowboarding, etc. I could do it but would be risking

hmm, I am wondering what you were doing in the area of marital arts that destroyed your knee cartilages? ;)

Aikido suwari waza, but really not any particular activity but my funky biomechanics from deeply held stress in pelvis causing lack of ability to internally rotate femur. Stress of that gets translated to next joint in the chain...
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:27 am

Mahalo Geoffrey.. I bookmarked the video. Not sure how many repetitions I can do, but it is a start and I get a lot of kisses from my 4 legged critter. I have wood floors, so I grabbed a cushion to put under my hips prior to turning, then transferred to my knees prior to getting up. In my work I have shown videos on how to get up after a fall. As when aging it is all about fall precautions. I love the practicality of exercising that is inclusive to aging.

Side note... in taking a Tai Chi class I remember on of the instructors shared she injured her knee or knees in pushing hands, and some of the participants didn't do that exercise. I noticed some stress on my knees. Loved the exercise though.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:33 am

Patty, that is great! And always remember esp when/if teaching this to others, you can use any mechanical aids you need, edge of table, stable chair, wall, cane, whatever you have whatever you need; improvise and adapt is the name of the game! As long as you are using body strength to overcome relentless gravity, you will get stronger and more mobile over time!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:55 am

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Patty, that is great! And always remember esp when/if teaching this to others, you can use any mechanical aids you need, edge of table, stable chair, wall, cane, whatever you have whatever you need; improvise and adapt is the name of the game! As long as you are using body strength to overcome relentless gravity, you will get stronger and more mobile over time!

That's great!!! Will share.. yes.. And it is adapting to overcoming the gravity. That is what everyone needs to hear to inspire the strength. The relentless gravity:) Nothing to fear or panic about.

Again Mahalo, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:32 pm

patty wrote:The relentless gravity:) Nothing to fear or panic about.

As we used to say in physics class, "There is no gravity. The earth sucks!"

:lol:
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:52 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
patty wrote:The relentless gravity:) Nothing to fear or panic about.

As we used to say in physics class, "There is no gravity. The earth sucks!"

:lol:

Too Funny!!!
patty

Postby smudgemom » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:09 pm

Here's another up/down YouTube series.

Robert Spencer:
https://youtu.be/MwWDNCJo6-8

This video is a spiral-to-the-ground, part 3 of 3 series.
smudgemom

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:38 pm

That is excellent! Watched others of his just now too and they are all good and could be extremely helpful for anyone with mobility issues. Still better would be to work in person w/ a Feldenkrais practitioner but that would cost a fair bit of $$$ and many may live where they just don't have access to one anyway.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby viv » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks for posting. I love get up - get down! I tried it straight away and found it strangely exhilarating. What a weirdly simple exercise, somehow I equate it with the McDougall Diet, a simple holistic plan that works and is good for you. Today after a stressful day at work, I put the kettle on for my tea and while waiting for it to boil, I did 10 reps of get up, get down. It really did feel good and it immediately elevated my mood. So quick and easy, yet powerful. It will now be part of my daily routine and my life. Thanks again!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:44 am

VIv, early morning and already you "made my day". Loved reading your post. Little things can truly be life changing.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Katydid » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:33 pm

I have a short dog who like to play tug. Getting up and down off the floor is just part of the routine. No need for special exercises when you have a playful pooch :D
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Previous

Return to The Lounge