Favorite breakfast?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Favorite breakfast?

Postby Quinda » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:45 am

My first breakfast is always Cheerios with soy milk on it. I arise early. Later I enjoy a second breakfast of oatmeal with berries. What is your favorite?
Quinda

Re: Favorite breakfast?

Postby MINNIE » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:16 am

First breakfast is a piece of fruit @
5:00 AM. Some light exercise for 30 minutes, then bowl of beans and rice as second breakfast.

Have eaten this most mornings since starting starch-based diet, never get bored :-D .
MINNIE

Postby Taggart » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:04 am

I've done this just about every morning for at least the last two years.

Into the blender I put a banana, ground black pepper, turmeric, cacao powder, ground cinnamon, pure vanilla extract and water.

Blend.

Pour into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.

Put in the steel cut oats.

Then add frozen blueberries and cranberries. I like the ying and yang of the sweet versus the sour taste.

Bring the stove heat down to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for twenty five minutes.

The last minute of cooking I'll add in ground flaxseed to thicken the porridge.

Eat with some soy or almond beverage and I'm good to go.

After I've eaten the porridge oats, I'll usually have some fresh fruit.

I always looks forward to it as breakfast is my favourite meal of the day, by far.
Taggart

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:26 am

Varies depending on mood but always one of:

•Big pot of lightly cooked veg w/ either beans, sweet potato, or intact whole grain and curry powder etc
•Much bigger amount of just intact whole grain cooked same way as rice but I use either rye, kamut, or hull less barley
•Sourdough bread (homemade from fresh ground) of 100% whole grain either kamut, barley, or rye. Last couple I have substituted intact, precooked grain for part of the flour.

All the above I have 1 or 2 pieces of fruit with, right now apples as harvest is just winding up here (I have about 45 or 50 lbs stuffed in my fridge!). Once those are gone, hopefully but then I can get cases of oranges that are brought up from AZ all winter.

To misquote Homer, "Mmmmmmmm, cheeeeeap, fruuuuuuit....."
Last edited by GeoffreyLevens on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby viv » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:37 pm

I have the same favorite breakfast every day.

Two thirds cup of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats cooked in one and a half cups of water, bring to boil and cook for one minute. To serve sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on top, add sliced banana and a splash of almond milk. I love it and never tire of it.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby geo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:12 pm

I've been eating a nice hearty breakfast that lasts me 4-5 hours since I getup early.

1/2 pound of potatoes O'brian - i.e., 1/2 LB of frozen cubed potatoes, cooked in a fry pan with about 3 oz of frozen tri-mix of peppers and onions (red/green/yellow peppers chopped up with onions). Just throw them into a fry pan and cook on medium heat for about 10-12 mins. Flip them once or twice. No need to measure anything, just use a 10" fry pan and the potatoes will make a sinlge layer covering the whole pottom of the pan and then just sprinkle the peppers/onions on top and then top with your favorite dryed herb/spice mix and cover with a glass lid.

Followed by one serving of a mixed grain hot cereal that also contains some flax (One of BoB's RedMill brand of hot cereals) or oatmeal along with one cup of berries (usually a frozen mix of 3-4 different berries/cherries etc...)

And a nice cup of herbal tea or white tea.

For those that care about these things:
~450 calories total. Lots of starch from potatoes and as many as 10 grains plus flax and 3-4 different fruits. Provides a wide variety of foods just for breakfast (15-16 foods) plus the spice/herb blend I use has 21 herbs/spices which provides for even more variety in my food intake. And fluids that provide high anti-oxidants and phytonutrients

And all of this using ready to make frozen foods and dried foods. No cutting/chopping/cleaning, Just dump and heat or dump and add water and nuke. Simple, nutritious, filling, cheap, quick to make and a wide variety of low calorie dense foods that will leave you satisfied.

This lasts me till lunch :nod:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby kirkj » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:40 pm

Compared to everyone else mine sounds pretty boring. I have half a cup of steel cut oats with spices plus a tablespoon of ground flax and a teaspoon of sugar. I measure the sugar or I gradually start to cheat and use more :)

I make the oatmeal ahead 4 days at a time and then re-heat it. I've been eating this for years and I still look forward to it every morning,
kirkj

Postby enlightened » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:57 pm

We reheat last night left overs, add a fresh salad and follow with fruit.
enlightened

Postby Kaye » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:55 am

Wholewheat cereal, flaxseeds, big serving of berries (usually strawberries/raspberries and blueberries) with oat milk followed by a piece of home made wholemeal bread.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby haze5736 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:00 am

I've been eating oatmeal just about every day for the past 9 months. About 2 cups cooked with banana and blueberries and cinnamon or apple, cinnamon and raisin. I don't seem to get tired of it. Sometimes on the weekend I'll have pancakes.
haze5736

Postby dinska » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:47 pm

It's a big skillet of hashbrowns, hopefully with homemade pico or salsa. When the sweet potatoes go on sale I have a cold sweet potato out of the fridge, baked the night before.

Rarely I will have some brown rice with sliced banana and cinnamon.

80% of the time it's the hashbrowns. :-)
dinska

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:45 am

dinska wrote:It's a big skillet of hashbrowns, hopefully with homemade pico or salsa.

Funny, for some reason I had forgotten all about that combo. Was very into it a few months ago. Just reading this and I thought, "Hmmmmm, time to revisit that yummy treat!" Thank you.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Franchesca_S. » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 pm

Sorry Kirkj,
Mine is more boring. I bring to work a mason jar (about 2 cups, I think) with leftover brown rice and have that with a piece of fruit.
FS
Franchesca_S.

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:23 pm

Oatmeal with half an apple chopped up in it and a little real maple syrup. Every. Single. Day. :lol:
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby CMD » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:17 pm

a bowl of soup(usually vegetable), year-round. If I've run out of soup, I'll have cooked broccoli with a microwaved potato on top drizzled with sriracha.
CMD

Next

Return to The Lounge