need some help

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: need some help

Postby petefromlondon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:34 pm

thank you for your inspirational replies, spent some time this weekend thinking how to be more supportive to myself and others and less destructive, this place offered alot of hope.

patty wrote:
viv wrote:Pete, as others have mentioned, make sure you are eating enough starch. Don't get hungry and make starch 80% of your diet. Take filling starches with you wherever you go. Eat as many potatoes as you want and don't worry about the volume right now. Every day zap a whole bunch of potatoes in the microwave or roast them in the oven and take a bag of them with you during the day. Eat them like apples. I love Spudfit on You Tube who is eating nothing but potatoes (reg and sweet) for a year. He has lost over 100 pounds so far and is doing great. I also like bananas for this reason too, they are very portable, satisfying and filling. Starch, that's the ticket!

Viv

I agree. It is important for your body/mind in sync identify, starch is what creates satiety. The addiction dominos stop with food and money. How stressful can life be if you can eat on 3 or 4 dollars a day? Food and money are not like musical chairs there is enough for everyone. I have been watching the movie 13th, where as a country we began treating people using drugs as criminals vs. someone with a health issue. The business of slavery was reinvented. They created the name Super Predator and that is exactly what Big Food and Big Pharma are. They have hijacked and have held us hostage ever since. Self-governing is Self-Care. The best revenge is to be happy and healthy. You are in the right place.

Aloha, patty
petefromlondon

Postby petefromlondon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 pm

good news today weight is dropping fast almost 2 KG down already 25 more to go, eating mainly potatoes with some veg stew, making wild rice and mushroom tonight.
petefromlondon

Postby patty » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:13 am

petefromlondon wrote:good news today weight is dropping fast almost 2 KG down already 25 more to go, eating mainly potatoes with some veg stew, making wild rice and mushroom tonight.

hmmm sounds good!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Dougalling » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:43 am

Hi

What worked for me. Made a commitment that this is the way I want to eat. Did my best and persisted as best I could. Finally, at almost 3 years of persistance, I no longer crave sugar, I no long crave oil. Oil is actually quite disgusting in flavour right now. I get my sugar from whole fruits; fresh or cooked.
Persistance, it pays off.
Dougalling

Postby petefromlondon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:26 am

thank you for your supportive comments, made corn, beans and potatoes and veg with some Mexican spice today

Dougalling wrote:Hi

What worked for me. Made a commitment that this is the way I want to eat. Did my best and persisted as best I could. Finally, at almost 3 years of persistance, I no longer crave sugar, I no long crave oil. Oil is actually quite disgusting in flavour right now. I get my sugar from whole fruits; fresh or cooked.
Persistance, it pays off.
petefromlondon

Postby petefromlondon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:16 am

feeling bloated for a couple a days after eating some green beans for dinner, wonder if anyone has experienced this ?
petefromlondon

Postby patty » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:11 am

Remember veggies are a condiment. It might be your body is adapting to eating a little less. What is great your feeding your body the best food. And your able to listen to it and adapt. It might be good to create a food dairy with a digestion dairy. It is a lifetime journey so time is on our side. 95% of hospital visits are lifestyle and 95% our day is habit. And we are creating lifetime habits of sustainability for our highest good. The goal is to be independent to the very last breath. What we feed our heart feeds our mind and it is great for our environment. I practice HALT don't get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired. Starch creates Satiety where we are able to deal with life on life terms. Paying attention to bloating and being able to identify why is being able to correct it without too much effort. And how life empowering is that?

Aloha, Patty
patty

Postby petefromlondon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:07 am

thank you, fat keeps dropping, now 114kg this morning was 118kg when started 2 weeks ago.

patty wrote:Remember veggies are a condiment. It might be your body is adapting to eating a little less. What is great your feeding your body the best food. And your able to listen to it and adapt. It might be good to create a food dairy with a digestion dairy. It is a lifetime journey so time is on our side. 95% of hospital visits are lifestyle and 95% our day is habit. And we are creating lifetime habits of sustainability for our highest good. The goal is to be independent to the very last breath. What we feed our heart feeds our mind and it is great for our environment. I practice HALT don't get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired. Starch creates Satiety where we are able to deal with life on life terms. Paying attention to bloating and being able to identify why is being able to correct it without too much effort. And how life empowering is that?

Aloha, Patty
petefromlondon

Postby petefromlondon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:42 am

seems to be at weight 115kg now for a while and its not moving anywhere but generally following MWL principles and starch solution... my doctor says to do whatever I can to bring weight below 90kg.

any suggested what might be causing stagnation at this level of weight ?
petefromlondon

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:50 am

I think if you post exactly what you eat and drink for a couple days, we could help you figure out the problem.
Lesliec1

Postby petefromlondon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:36 am

Lesliec1 wrote:I think if you post exactly what you eat and drink for a couple days, we could help you figure out the problem.

Today, Wednesday,2nd Nov
--------------------
Bfast - Porridge made with soya milk and some fruit.
Green tea
lunch - home made mixed vegetable soup with no oil and boiled long grain rice
green tea and peppermint tea
an apple
dinner - jacket potatos and baked beans.

Yestarday
---------------------
Bfast - Boiled barley with a banana and soy milk + black coffee
lunch - home made beans and veg Indian curry with rice - no oil
5-6 low fat ginger biscuits, piece of dark chocolate and a black tea
dinner - roasted potatoes no oil, salad and barley with dairy free pesto.
one banana and two apples

day before yesterday
---------------------------

bfast - Boiled barley with a banana and soya milk and a coffee
lunch - home made potato, veg and beans soup - no oil and some whole rye bread
dinner - Thai green veg curry in a restaurant plain boiled rice - ate the rice and veg and not the coconut sauce
tasted some of the veg from my girlfriend's sea food and veg plate
apple juice
green tea
5-6 low fat ginger biscuits and a piece of dark chocolate before going to bed.
petefromlondon

Postby patty » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:04 am

Sometimes on the boards.. I see posts where people increase veggies, eat less starch or increase exercise or do both, or even fast to lose the last 10 pounds. Some people count calories. I have practiced Fast Five, where you eat within a five hour window, fasting the other 23 hours. I felt it cut down on my volume easting. And the gift was giving my digestive system a rest. I have been at what I considered my goal weight, and then gained 10 to 20 pounds. In all I lost a hundred pounds and I am no way every going back there:) It depends on how restrictive you want to be, or emotionally you can be. You can escalate your weight loss for your doctor. When our body creates a plato, I feel it is for a reason, which is totally beyond my limited perception. This is a body, mind social disease.

I have had the hardest time understanding veggies are a condiment, just as there is no such thing as moderation. I work food and money together where I am conscious the addiction dominos stop. In being a Starch Based the best revenge in dealing with life on life's terms, is to be happy and healthy. The game changer Is the Satiety from the Starch because This too will pass. Everything is renewed for the very first time. Food costs can be as little as 3 or 4 dollars a day. This being a body, mind and social game turn around. it is Yes, No/know and Wait. Every cell within our body is negotiates for it's self Interest while at the same time what is best for the Whole. As Dr. McDougall shares the body is constantly trying to heal itself.

When at the doctor.. know there is a dance, and in the dance it is to be the feeder (the satiety of the starch allows this), the feeder sets the unspoken rule, as Dr. McDougall say's "It's the Food". Today the solution has to be health first money second. We are all transparent. We all have matching junk that transcends into matching allurement of I am you/you are me. That is the red flag that is going up. There is no such thing as scarcity/other. We are a non-duel One. Our body runs on a gifted currency that doesn't have to be repaid. Every molecule in our body knows it runs on a debit free card because it knows it's the Whole. The upper organs don't charge the lower organs for the body fluids it uses. That is the unconscious payoff that is becoming conscious. Jeff Novick in his Calorie Density dvd, which can be watched online for a limited time, shares we subconsciously eat the same amount of WEIGHT of food daily. When feeling subjective, it is important to go abstract. Remember you are the feeder. Being the feeder you have nothing to sell because "It's the food".

I love this from "The End of Heart Disease" by Dr. Fuhrman. As he shares the economic, energy and climate crisis we are now facing. Our body depends on our view of our environment as the change happens from within of knowing only seeing sees:

If all the physicians in the United States gave their patients the information contained in this book about reversing heart disease through superior nutrition and about the drawbacks of medical care, we would be faced with an interesting set of outcomes. Most patients would get well; their heart disease would resolve and not require medical services. So doctors and hospitals would lose most of their business, and pharmaceutical companies would lose billions of dollars. People would have to be retrained for new careers, as a multibillion-dollar industry involving hospitals, health-care workers, drugs, and medical supply and equipment manufacturers would lose most of their customers. It’s not a likely scenario, but I’m sure you can imagine the economic and social uproar that would occur. Obviously, there is, and will continue to be, strong resistance to this approach.

That said, the science doesn’t lie, and the choice is yours to make.

Fuhrman, Joel (2016-04-05). The End of Heart Disease: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease (Kindle Locations 2096-2104). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby zumacraig » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:15 pm

dailycarbs wrote:
petefromlondon wrote:just wondering if anyone else who tends to over-eat has tried something that worked for them.

MWL program. It's impossible to overeat salad and veggies. Add some starch for variety and sateity.

This is not McDougall. Starch is first on his plan. Trying to focus on vegetables and salad will lead to hunger and problems. Eat starch first and add in fruits and vegetables.
zumacraig

Postby dailycarbs » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:15 pm

zumacraig wrote:
dailycarbs wrote:
petefromlondon wrote:just wondering if anyone else who tends to over-eat has tried something that worked for them.

MWL program. It's impossible to overeat salad and veggies. Add some starch for variety and sateity.

This is not McDougall. Starch is first on his plan. Trying to focus on vegetables and salad will lead to hunger and problems. Eat starch first and add in fruits and vegetables.

MWL.
dailycarbs

Postby petefromlondon » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:56 pm

if I eat more veg and salad and less starch like beans potato and rice I am more likely to end up in KFC or my local fish and chips restaurant eating chips and drinking cola...but when eating mainly rice and potatoes etc weight seems to stagnate...

Don't seems to be able to handle salads and veg and less starch it drives my hunger to the point where it gets out of control and then likely to eat really high calorie stuff like nuts, chocolate, KFC...

there seem to be two different approaches discussed on this board 1st about eating starch and a bit of veg as condiments and a couple of fruits and another about eating a lot of veg and salad and less starch... second one just doesn't work for me so well and first one maintains my weight...

someone also mentioned that for some people lose weight at 900 calories per day and some at 3000

don't know what to do about my weight, but I know that generally I feel healthier on this way of eating...
petefromlondon

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge