need some help

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

need some help

Postby petefromlondon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:56 pm

hello

i;ve purchased DrM book starch solution and many others couple of years ago and recommended them and still highly recommend them. This has definitely helped me with digestion issues and can feel a positive change. Having initially successfully followed the plan it also resulted in weight loss. However having been working away from home for a while and eating at the work canteen all the weight has come back and even more. I tried to stick with the vegan way of eating but due to extra stress added some more cakes and sugary drinks, white bread, pizza etc also the food from the canteen and local restaurants probably had some oil etc. i have also been over-eating due to stress. Right now my weight is around 118 kg and it was around 95 last year, my doctor says it really needs to be around 90 or below. it just feels like its gone too far and feel too heavy to go running or do much exercise.

Working from home again and controlling my portions and adding more green and yellow veg but need some advice how others are making it work for them in a sustainable way and sticking with it when away from home and unable to cook etc...

many thanks
Last edited by petefromlondon on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
petefromlondon

Re: need some help

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:58 pm

Outside from home, I usually eat plain whole grain bread bec of convenience.
colonyofcells

Postby Dalton » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:56 pm

I tried earlier to respond to your post, but found it difficult to come up with something that would help you. The Starch Solution is all you need to follow. Give it 30 days of your life. It's not much to give. Those 30 days will show you what you can do. Dr. McDougall is right about everything and I am proof as many others are. Give it 30 days straight and see what it does for you. Straight up and no cheating. You will be amazed and you will be further encouraged to go further. I've lost nearly 100 lbs, have a 30" waist at 6' tall. I'm fifty years old and have perfect blood chemistry. Retrain your taste buds. I'm also very heavy into my whole grains. It melts weight away. I'm human of course and do have my rare needs. Keep it rare. Best wishes.
Dalton

Postby PurplePotato » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Welcome to the forum!

My advice (I'm not certain it applies to you, but I strongly expect it does): never let yourself be even the slightest bit hungry when you're around off-plan foods. You say that you are eating off-plan due to stress, but my suspicion is that you go into an "off-plan food situation" hungry, and then the stress tips you into letting your guard down and eating off-plan. Sure, you could try and develop a superhuman willpower; but wouldn't it just be easier to gorge on starch beforehand?

petefromlondon wrote:controlling my portions and adding more green and yellow veg

This may (and I suspect is likely to) be counterproductive. You need to make sure you are eating enough starch to satisfy your hunger.
PurplePotato

Postby Dougalling » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:52 pm

Hello

Get some wide mouth thermoses and bring food from home.
Jacket potatos will fit in there nicely.
When it comes to food, there is nothing more comforting than a nice potato.
Dougalling

Postby petefromlondon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:21 am

this would work for many people, however i do tend to over-eat and volume eat especially when under alot of steess

DrM talked a bit about this in his 2005 newsletter, just wondering if anyone else who tends to over-eat has tried something that worked for them.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... 100vol.htm

PurplePotato wrote:Welcome to the forum!

My advice (I'm not certain it applies to you, but I strongly expect it does): never let yourself be even the slightest bit hungry when you're around off-plan foods. You say that you are eating off-plan due to stress, but my suspicion is that you go into an "off-plan food situation" hungry, and then the stress tips you into letting your guard down and eating off-plan. Sure, you could try and develop a superhuman willpower; but wouldn't it just be easier to gorge on starch beforehand?

petefromlondon wrote:controlling my portions and adding more green and yellow veg

This may (and I suspect is likely to) be counterproductive. You need to make sure you are eating enough starch to satisfy your hunger.
petefromlondon

Postby dailycarbs » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:50 am

petefromlondon wrote:just wondering if anyone else who tends to over-eat has tried something that worked for them.

MWL program. It's impossible to overeat salad and veggies. Add some starch for variety and sateity.
dailycarbs

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:32 am

Do what you can to manage your stress with something other than food. Another thing that might help is an old book called Thin Withinhttps://www.amazon.com/Thin-Within-Live-Like-Person/dp/0671673262/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476462360&sr=1-9&keywords=Thin+within Get the original published in 1988. You can find it used, really cheap. It's very helpful. I used it to lose a lot of weight after eating my way through the California Bar Exam--talk about stress!!

Warning--the author has a bunch of newer books and workbooks and even some programs you can pay for. She got religion sometime after writing her first book, and the other ones are all Christian based. They might help some people, but they are not for everyone, and I found them annoying and a distraction from the issue of eating only when you are hungry.

Good luck!
Vanilla Orchid

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:31 am

petefromlondon wrote:this would work for many people, however i do tend to over-eat and volume eat especially when under alot of steess

DrM talked a bit about this in his 2005 newsletter, just wondering if anyone else who tends to over-eat has tried something that worked for them.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... 100vol.htm

First of all, one of the best pieces of advice I ever got here was when I triggered myself with eating some candy...Reese's miniatures, my favorite EVER. I had a few on Easter (for a pre-planned feast day)...and started pretty much a three month or more frenzy of sugar eating and weight gain of more than 10 lbs...not just the occasional treat, but every day, empty sugar calories. Anyway, the advice was "You already know what that candy tastes like, so you don't need to try it." How very true! It worked for me with the Reese's miniatures, and so many other treat type foods...and maybe it can work for you with the pizza or what have you.

Also, I've seen it here in the forums: So you're feeling hungry while out and about. Will you keel over from starvation before you can get home and eat on plan food? Feeling a surge of appetite isn't necessarily pleasant, but it isn't bad or dangerous, and it isn't the end of the world. Can you hold on thru it until on plan food is available? Believe me, I know from eating out of stress or emotions, and I know about eating too much, and I've eaten off plan on impulse while out but it still holds true: No matter how hungry my stomach has ever felt, I have enough "storage" to live completely food free for at least a month. hahahaha (not recommending it, btw...just saying. Hunger pangs are NOT the end of the world) and of course, the advice to bring along "on plan" foods is very good advice. I used to carry several baked potatoes with me everywhere. It was like eating a bagel on the run! ha!

as for volume eating. Sounds like you need to get back to regular old McDougall plan eating, and not worry about volume at this point. Eat as much as you can, of whatever foods are "allowed" and worry about the volume later, perhaps when you plateau after all those pounds dropping! :) and just so you know, I've lived with downs and ups and plateaus and non-compliance and compliance with this way of life for seven years. It's the best health decision I've ever made, and sticking to it DOES WORK for weight loss and all kinds of ailments.

Keep at it...it is entirely worth it!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby petefromlondon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:32 pm

thank you , just ordered it.

Vanilla Orchid wrote:Do what you can to manage your stress with something other than food. Another thing that might help is an old book called Thin Withinhttps://www.amazon.com/Thin-Within-Live-Like-Person/dp/0671673262/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476462360&sr=1-9&keywords=Thin+within Get the original published in 1988. You can find it used, really cheap. It's very helpful. I used it to lose a lot of weight after eating my way through the California Bar Exam--talk about stress!!

Warning--the author has a bunch of newer books and workbooks and even some programs you can pay for. She got religion sometime after writing her first book, and the other ones are all Christian based. They might help some people, but they are not for everyone, and I found them annoying and a distraction from the issue of eating only when you are hungry.

Good luck!
petefromlondon

Postby petefromlondon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:08 am

yes, i've got the maximum weight loss book also. however eating a lot of salads and veg and less starch makes me extremely hungry, it works for a few days i lose a few pounds and then I end up binge eating very unhealthy food, yesterday ended up on KFC eating chicken wings...feel stuck.

dailycarbs wrote:
petefromlondon wrote:just wondering if anyone else who tends to over-eat has tried something that worked for them.

MWL program. It's impossible to overeat salad and veggies. Add some starch for variety and sateity.
petefromlondon

Postby Dougalling » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:29 am

Hi

Go to the board index and scroll down to Doug Lisle, PhD
He is the McDougall Program Team psychologist (10 years) and offers practical (rather than theoretical) advice. You'll also have the support of others with food control problems. Make sure you read the 'welcome ' post.

You can also check out the Spudfit guy (on FB and youtube) who decided to eat only potatos in order to control his overeating problems.

My advice. Make a commitment to the McDougall Program. Only eat foods that are McDougall approved. Make a commitment to be kind to all animals.

Be a starchivore :-D
Dougalling

Postby viv » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:03 am

Pete, as others have mentioned, make sure you are eating enough starch. Don't get hungry and make starch 80% of your diet. Take filling starches with you wherever you go. Eat as many potatoes as you want and don't worry about the volume right now. Every day zap a whole bunch of potatoes in the microwave or roast them in the oven and take a bag of them with you during the day. Eat them like apples. I love Spudfit on You Tube who is eating nothing but potatoes (reg and sweet) for a year. He has lost over 100 pounds so far and is doing great. I also like bananas for this reason too, they are very portable, satisfying and filling. Starch, that's the ticket!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Inga » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:41 am

Doug Lisle, PhD is the most underutilized weapon in the McDougall arsenal. His knowledge base is unrivaled as regards WFPB eating and weight loss. Combined with McDougall's MWL program, the below webinars provide everything you need to achieve success. If you'd like more Dr. Lisle video recommendations relevant to this issue, let me know. Good Luck!

Dr. Doug Lisle: Food Addiction, Emotional Eating, and Weight Loss, parts 1 and 2.
[url]
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -06-23-16/
[/url]
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/webinars/webinar-05-12-16/

Inga
Inga

Postby patty » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:50 am

viv wrote:Pete, as others have mentioned, make sure you are eating enough starch. Don't get hungry and make starch 80% of your diet. Take filling starches with you wherever you go. Eat as many potatoes as you want and don't worry about the volume right now. Every day zap a whole bunch of potatoes in the microwave or roast them in the oven and take a bag of them with you during the day. Eat them like apples. I love Spudfit on You Tube who is eating nothing but potatoes (reg and sweet) for a year. He has lost over 100 pounds so far and is doing great. I also like bananas for this reason too, they are very portable, satisfying and filling. Starch, that's the ticket!

Viv

I agree. It is important for your body/mind in sync identify, starch is what creates satiety. The addiction dominos stop with food and money. How stressful can life be if you can eat on 3 or 4 dollars a day? Food and money are not like musical chairs there is enough for everyone. I have been watching the movie 13th, where as a country we began treating people using drugs as criminals vs. someone with a health issue. The business of slavery was reinvented. They created the name Super Predator and that is exactly what Big Food and Big Pharma are. They have hijacked and have held us hostage ever since. Self-governing is Self-Care. The best revenge is to be happy and healthy. You are in the right place.

Aloha, patty
patty

Next

Return to The Lounge