13th

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

13th

Postby Skip » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:54 am

This is off topic, but in my mind related.

A new documentary on Netflix called "13th" is a powerful movie that presents historical context to the system of mass incarceration which we have in the U.S.

13th refers to the 13th amendment which gave freedom to slaves, with the exception of "criminals". This exception has been exploited by the prison industrial complex that can be traced back to 1865. The movie very much reminded me of what "Forks over Knives" and "Cowspiracy" is to the plant based dietary movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CK7f8A4tPU
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Re: 13th

Postby Jack Monzon » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:55 am

Thanks for the heads-up -- I've been looking for a new doc to watch. I may give this a try tonight after my running group.
Jack Monzon

Postby soul food » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:32 pm

Skip, I watched it on Netflix this last weekend. It was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsiYfk5RV_Q

Prison Songs - Early In The Mornin'

"Uploaded on Mar 26, 2009
Recorded over 60 years ago at Parchman Farm "these songs belong to the musical tradition which Africans brought to the New World, but they are also as American as the Mississippi River."
-

soul food
soul food

Postby nicoles » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:41 am

So good so good. Watched it a couple of days ago. Also recommend!
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Skip » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:00 am

Here's a song from the documentary. Go to the 5 minute mark of this tiny desk concert at the white house by Common.
http://www.npr.org/2016/10/03/496433228 ... hite-house
Skip

Postby patty » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:04 am

Wow, just starting to watch... amazing!!! The 13th Amendment the Slavery Loophole! America (US) is 5% of the world's population and 25% is in prison. I am going to have to watch this film over and over to break the veil of our insidious addictive illusory sense of business as usual. I am so grateful for Dr. McDougall for truth stands on it's own (food and money). I remember seeing Martin Luther King jr at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, Ca when I was 18 years old. And he shared put a pacifier in your mouth and kill them with kindness. He thanked Agape Love, for not wanting to kill the men who wanted to kill his children. Marianne Williamson said, "We should build a National Wall of Atonement for African Americans." Wow what a pebble was dropped with this film. The only place we have to go is up. As Dr. Campbell shares in "Whole" it has to be from the bottom up.

A great film review/summary of 13th http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/13th-2016 Amazing film.. Mahalo for the recommendation!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Skip wrote:This is off topic, but in my mind related.

A new documentary on Netflix called "13th" is a powerful movie that presents historical context to the system of mass incarceration which we have in the U.S.

13th refers to the 13th amendment which gave freedom to slaves, with the exception of "criminals". This exception has been exploited by the prison industrial complex that can be traced back to 1865. The movie very much reminded me of what "Forks over Knives" and "Cowspiracy" is to the plant based dietary movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CK7f8A4tPU

Amazing film! Mahalo for the link.. I am just blown away!!! I remember my mother's disenchantment of never being accepted back within the community, after she had been incarcerated as she no longer was able to vote. I had thought it was such a small thing. I never understood how deep the wound was. She never enjoyed cooking or baking again. Mahalo for 13th ... a must see! Knowledge is power, Self-Knowledge is Self-Empowerment. Self-Care is Self-Governing Within. This film is Empowering to all Races as Truth sets the 13th viewer free. As you take care of your Old (past) you plant gold in your backyard.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Jack19 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:50 am

"America (US) is 5% of the world's population and 25% is in prison". Are you sure about that stat? 25% of the population are in prison .... I don't think so!
Jack19

Postby JuicerJohn » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:10 pm

It may have been poorly worded, but the statistic is that the U.S. Has 5% of the world's population but houses 25% of its prisoners.
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby patty » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:30 pm

JuicerJohn wrote:It may have been poorly worded, but the statistic is that the U.S. Has 5% of the world's population but houses 25% of its prisoners.

Mahalo.. John for stating it correctly. I was raised in a all back community where swearing was my first language. That film just blows my mind:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Jack19 wrote:"America (US) is 5% of the world's population and 25% is in prison". Are you sure about that stat? 25% of the population are in prison .... I don't think so!

Mahalo for questioning:) I misquoted:) .. it all comes down to Big Food and Big Pharma.. if you haven't watched 13th .. be sure too!

Here you go... from the movie !3th. Obama shares lets check the statistics ...

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Jack19 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:33 am

JuicerJohn wrote:It may have been poorly worded, but the statistic is that the U.S. Has 5% of the world's population but houses 25% of its prisoners.

Thanks for that. I have now just seen the trailer. Looks like a great doc - certainly now on my "to see" list.
Jack19

Postby Skip » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:56 pm

So the U.S. is 5% of the total population of the world, yet we house 25% of the world's prisoners. But a big point of the movie is that African Americans make up 6.5% of the American population but 40.2% of the prison populace. While a white male has a 1 in 17 chance of ending up behind bars, for black males it is 1 in 3.
Skip

Postby patty » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:46 pm

I was sharing with my daughter in-law for them to be sure to watch it as in essence 13th explains the 13th Amendment loop hole reinvents slavery where business goes on as usual.

'13th' documentary shows black people migrating from slavery to prison

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 ... isons.html

Thanks to the War on Drugs, black people are still being fed to that system, especially in this state. In "Louisiana Incarcerated," a 2012 series by NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune, we learned that one in 86 adult Louisianians was serving time, almost double a world-leading national average. One in 14 black men from New Orleans was behind bars and one in seven was either in prison, on parole or on probation.

But, hey, you argue, there are some white people in prison, too.

Michelle Alexander, author of the book "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness," says in the documentary, "The system of mass incarceration has grown and sprawled and developed an appetite that is gobbling up people in communities of all colors, but if it hadn't been for the fact that it began with a group of people, defined by race, that we as a nation have learned not to care about, we wouldn't be talking about two million people behind bars today."

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Skip » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:48 pm

patty wrote:'13th' documentary shows black people migrating from slavery to prison

I'd like to add one word to your statement:

'13th' documentary shows black people migrating from slavery to prison slavery
Skip

Next

Return to The Lounge