Should Vegans Take DHA to Preserve Brain Function?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby BlueGene » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:43 am

Dr. Greger's latest video suggests that we should supplement with DHA.

I wonder if he's aware of this study below showing that a low fat diet is the equivalent of supplementing with long-chain O3 (EPA & DHA).

Consumption of a low fat diet alters fatty acid patterns in a manner similar to that observed with feeding of (n-3) long-chain fatty acids. This change is likely related to decreased competition for the enzymes of elongation and desaturation, with reduced total intake of 18:2(n-6) favoring elongation and desaturation of available (n-3) fatty acids.

Total Fat Intake Modifies Plasma Fatty Acid Composition in Humans
BlueGene

Re: Should Vegans Take DHA to Preserve Brain Function?

Postby Burak » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi,

Add that a person who eats WFPB diet have clean arteries and glucose to feed their brain. In the end, brain health is what we looking for, not just adjusting numbers from blood test.

That's valid for every part of our body. Keep arteries clean and supply them with clean energy and they will be great.

Regards,
Burak
Burak

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Read this response from Jeff Novick he just posted to another thread regarding the same question:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53348&p=544555&sid=8a7995d5e0e99a8598c1f007d84cfd2f#p544555
Ltldogg

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Among the many supplements, Dr McDougall recommends only b12. If worried about epa/dha, maybe just eat greens 3x a day or more often. Wild greens like purslane are a great source of omega 3. Sheep that eat tons of wild greens have lots of omega 3.
colonyofcells

Postby arugula » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:53 pm

dr. greger likes gimmicks and tricks. he puts out a video every day or something like that.

there was a while when people thought that fish oil was the answer to life, the universe, and everything, and then it was vitamin d. but neither one has really panned out.

i'm very skeptical about taking isolated substances, with the sole exception of b12.
arugula

Postby pundit999 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:10 pm

I am a bit conflicted about this issue.

For more than 3 years, I did not take any supplements or worry much about consuming chia or flaxseeds daily. But then realizing that Dr Esselstyn, Dr Greger and Dr Dean Ornish and Dr Furman all recommend that we at least consume a tablespoon or two of flax/chia seeds, I started being more careful about consuming them daily.

Recently, I have started a vegan DHA/EPA supplement also. Just one pill daily.

I have noticed that my angina has improved and also my gums feel better since I started flax/chia seeds.

It might all be in my head but you can't go wrong with at least getting some chia AND flax seeds daily. Especially flax seeds which are just a powerhouse of nutrition.
pundit999

Return to The Lounge