Any Fast Food Choices?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Any Fast Food Choices?

Postby patty » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Taggart wrote: Very rarely are we in fast food chains though. I just don't like them anymore. It's virtually impossible to eat this way outside the home, so when in a restaurant here in Canada or overseas, I just try my best to select from the healthiest items on the menu. I make sure I never go hungry though, or else I go crazy and end up eating any kind of crap food. Been there, done that, even though other people say I'm a small eater.

This is what happens. Education works. We get more selective as this is a lifetime journey.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby graciezoe » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:15 pm

Panera no longer offers the black bean soup, and Wendy's salads all now have cheese and as they are premade you get ask for it without.
A HCLF Vegan.
Cardio Goal: 650 minutes a week on treadclimber and Bowflex Max 5 plus, weekend hikes.

Starting weight on 3/2014 was 304 lbs
Weight as of 4/2016 is 114 lbs
graciezoe

Postby pundit999 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:36 pm

graciezoe wrote:Panera no longer offers the black bean soup

That is a shame. It was an acceptable choice.
One of the Paneras' was able to give me a good vegan sandwich. I have not had luck with others though.
They have good salads but I am not sure if you can get them without oil or dressings.
pundit999

Postby Jack Monzon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Gail wrote:Dr McDougall hasa youtube (20 mins) video 'the early years of Dr john McDougall' and is very amusing.

He visits various fast food places and orders from each of them, and has heaps of food.

He is quite a character and very entertaining.

Peace, Gail

Link?
Jack Monzon

Postby Jack Monzon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:16 pm

I get a side salad at McDonald's with no dressing (mustard only). Baked potatoes from Wendy's are also delicious, but make sure you get them bald and dry.

The bread at subway and the tortillas at Chipotle have oil in them, and oil is not permitted on this program.
Jack Monzon

Postby Taggart » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Jack Monzon wrote:
Gail wrote:Dr McDougall hasa youtube (20 mins) video 'the early years of Dr john McDougall' and is very amusing.

He visits various fast food places and orders from each of them, and has heaps of food.

Peace, Gail

Link?

From Potato Strong:

How to Order in Restaurants and Fast Food Joints - Starch Solution

Dr. John McDougall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bfIoOiSrSQ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also:

Title: John & Mary McDougall: The Challenges of Eating Out
Description: Join Mary McDougall in a Live Webinar! She discusses how to navigate the world of eating out and going to eat at other people’s homes.
Host: Moderator: Gustavo Tolosa, DMA,
Presenter: Dr. John McDougall, MD & Mary McDougall
Recorded: November 5, 2015

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -11-05-15/
Taggart

Postby brec » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Wendy's Steel Cut Oatmeal without the pecans, cranberries, and brown sugar
brec

Postby Daydream » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:50 pm

My husband and I recently traveled to the east coast and our hotel was right around the corner from a Whole Foods market which has a food court with the BEST FAST FOOD EVER!! :-D I selected hot and cold dishes that were not made with oil or salt. It was glorious! I didn’t know Whole Foods had such a wonderful selection in their Food Court area. Unfortunately, we don’t have a Whole Foods where we live but whenever we travel, that will be the first "fast food" place I search for.
Daydream

Postby pundit999 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:27 am

brec wrote:Wendy's Steel Cut Oatmeal without the pecans, cranberries, and brown sugar

Thanks for posting.
Is this available the whole day? If so, that is a great option.
pundit999

Postby pundit999 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:36 am

Daydream wrote: I selected hot and cold dishes that were not made with oil or salt. It was glorious! I didn’t know Whole Foods had such a wonderful selection in their Food Court area.

I second Whole Foods. In our area, they have $5 for 4 deal where you can get four HSH (Health Starts Here) labeled freshly prepared dishes for $5 (used to be $4) that are totally compliant. I believe these dishes are made in consultation with Dr Furman. Dishes comprising quinoa, beans, nuts, cran berries, beets, cauliflower etc. No oil, no salt, all whole plants only. And delicious!

In addition to my area (Raleigh NC), I have traveled and come across and relied on Whole Foods in Los Angeles, Austin, Washington DC and Boston.
pundit999

Postby orangegrape » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:30 am

I used to work in a Mexican restaurant and we always had a big pot of pinto beans on the stove, they just added salt and onion. Usually you can just order this to go at any Mexican restaurant, you just have to ask for a side order of frijoles de la olla, and ask to make sure they haven't added the oil yet. They usually add the oil when they make refried beans. But as you know, every place is different. Unfortunately, they usually add oil to their white rice, but you can ask if they have any steamed rice, some restaurants may have a little on hand for customers who don't like Mexican rice.
orangegrape

Postby Dougalling » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:26 pm

Subway ... chopped salad with extra pickles ... mustard .
Dougalling

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Instead of eating at fast food places, I would just bring whole grain bread with me all the time. I usually use organic sprouted whole grain bread (unleavened) or sourdough (fermented) whole grain breads. I am able to eat whole grain bread even while walking. I also have my plastic bottle with water all the time and I can also drink water while walking.
colonyofcells

Postby arugula » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:55 pm

pundit999 wrote:Zoe's Kitchen: somewhat compliant: ask for veggie kababs with no oil; white beans, salad.

the white beans are 32% fat. the veggie kabobs and roasted veggies are around 60% fat.

i ate at zoe's today. it was fantastic! i had the lentil soup (15.9% fat) and the roasted veggies (60% fat but only 100 kcals total).

if you get the salad with pita but no feta it's 20.8% fat. get extra pita to bring the fat percentage down.

my lunch partner had the hummus trio. i admit to tasting all three. they were ridiculously delicious, especially the basil pesto type.

their nutrition calculator is here:
http://www.nutritionix.com/zoes-kitchen ... or/premium

it was way better than subway.
arugula

Postby veg tom » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:14 am

Peace, Gail

Iv seen that video. It is supper funny. :lol:
A is A
veg tom

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge