Any Fast Food Choices?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Any Fast Food Choices?

Postby Gwen » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:08 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting good food if fast food places are the only choice?
Thanks, Gwen
Gwen

Re: Any Fast Food Choices?

Postby Skip » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:45 pm

Wendy's sells baked potatos........
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby Poison Ivy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Good luck! It will be difficult finding a good healthy meal at a fast food restaurant.
Poison Ivy

Postby arugula » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:54 pm

subway veggie delite on wheat with sweet onion sauce. you could do worse. get all the veggies except maybe for the salty ones. it's not vegan because there is honey in the bread but the italian bread is vegan.

or plain baked potato at wendy's with a side salad.

or you could get bean burritos fresco-style at taco bell. there's some fat in the burrito, though.
arugula

Postby dailycarbs » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:48 pm

Skip wrote:Wendy's sells baked potatos........

They're not the best but they're large and filling. Skip the toppings.
dailycarbs

Postby FakeCanadian » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:11 pm

Panda Express can work. Ignore the entrees and get one side of brown rice and two sides of mixed vegetables (which are steamed). You'll have to repeat your order a couple of times to the disbelieving person behind the counter, but then what else is new? :)
FakeCanadian

Postby Dougalling » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:44 am

Any that have a salad. Don't use the dressing. Ask for mustard.

If you're lucky enough to be in Winnipeg or in Barrie or in Burlington then you're lucky to be near a Boon Burger.
Last edited by Dougalling on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dougalling

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:54 am

I think the best is Wendy's, baked potato and salad. It's been so long since I did that though, I don't remember if they have packets of vinegar. I love vinegar with potatoes and salad!

My husband goes to Subway when he has to eat and has run out of food from home. The bread isn't ideal, white flour and oil in all of them, but he just gets vegetables, he tells them everything you've got except meat and cheese and he usually gets a huge sandwich. No condiments, he eats it plain and says it's very satisfying.

Last week I finally got a chance to try Panda Express. The server told me she was pretty sure the brown rice had no oil, but I'm sure it did. Also, the "steamed" vegetables had plenty of oil on them, I could taste it. I could see the oil film on the bottom of my bowl when I was done eating.

In a pinch, Panda Express would work but be aware you are getting some oil. I only eat fast food about once a year so I don't worry about it. I have noticed though that ever since the Panda Express experience, I've been wanting to dive into the peanut butter. Swim away! Swim away!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby JeffN » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:11 am

JeffN

Postby f1jim » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:45 am

Just glancing at the Panda Express data. Looks like the side of vegetables has milk in it! Seems to me the brown rice shouldn't have saturated fat in it, right?
Expect major compromises in most any fast food. Better to be prepared in advance or maybe skip a meal. Most of us can survive missing a meal, no?
On the good side the plain baked potato looks fine with what little info they provide.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby pundit999 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:57 am

Chipotle: Mostly compliant: veggie bowl. Ask for brown rice from the back; pinto and black beans; mild/medium/hot salsa, corn, lettuce. If you are not trying to lose weight, guacamole.

Starbucks: compliant: oatmeal

Panera: mostly compliant: some vegan sandwiches. Black bean soup (lots of salt though)

Zoe's Kitchen: somewhat compliant: ask for veggie kababs with no oil; white beans, salad.

Subway: compliant: veggie salad with no fat dressing. Or no dressing with just some pickles.

Wendy's: compliant: baked potato and salad. Baked potato quality unfortunately sucks.
pundit999

Postby JeffN » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:01 am

f1jim wrote: Seems to me the brown rice shouldn't have saturated fat in it, right?

Yes. I did the math on it and it doesn't work out. There are to many calories for the weight given for plain brown rice. And, 2 extra grams of fat. Add in 2 grams of oil and it still doesn't work out. My guess is, if the numbers provided are correct, there is about 1/2 tbsp oil in the brown rice.

Some of these restaurants put some oil in the rice while it is cooking because it helps the kernels from sticking as it sits in their steamers all day.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Gwen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks to everyone for the info.
After a doctor's visit today, we'll hit the Subway at the hospital. I think it's great that they have a halfway decent fast food joint at the hospital!! :0)
Gwen
Gwen

Postby Gail » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:20 am

Dr McDougall hasa youtube (20 mins) video 'the early years of Dr john McDougall' and is very amusing.

He visits various fast food places and orders from each of them, and has heaps of food.

He is quite a character and very entertaining.

Peace, Gail
Gail

Postby Taggart » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:26 am

I get some great ideas on here from both Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick about what foods I can add into my own personal diet, and for that I thank them very much. However, I'm not compliant with this woe, nor do I think I'll ever be and one of the reasons is we like to eat out a lot. Very rarely are we in fast food chains though. I just don't like them anymore. It's virtually impossible to eat this way outside the home, so when in a restaurant here in Canada or overseas, I just try my best to select from the healthiest items on the menu. I make sure I never go hungry though, or else I go crazy and end up eating any kind of crap food. Been there, done that, even though other people say I'm a small eater.
Taggart

Next

Return to The Lounge