Healthiest Diet on the Planet...Reviews here/

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Healthiest Diet on the Planet...Reviews here/

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:01 am

skane9041 wrote:When I went to the "Look Inside" for the hardcover just now, there were several recipes,

Maybe it's only me, but I ONLY get to see the Breakfast Burrito recipe.
VeggieSue

Postby smudgemom » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:00 pm

I would not recommend his new book to a SAD newbie. There's too much wiggle room for bad behavior.

That's what I love about Dr. McDougall...his message has been SO consistent from the get-go. Now, I see recipes higher in fat with cashews & sesame oil, which has always be a "no".

And even though the new book is for those transitioning, the 'cheat a little bit' onus lies at the feet of those wanting to do strict McDougall but wish to add cashews, sesame oil, etc. Especially confusing when the message of 'moderation' & addiction was mentioned.

Makes it hard for the strict, successful disciples spreading the word. Give this book to a SAD eater, a little oil becomes mountains of all oils, diet doesn't work & they blame McDougall. And they can point to the exact recipe in the book which started it all.
smudgemom

Postby patty » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:37 pm

After just reading the first chapter my was feeling it is a great companion to "Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up". I am anxious to read Dr. McDougall's history, because being on the island, I don't think anyone hasn't heard of Dr. McDougall.

I was sharing with someone who had mentioned they were in ER, and they were so upset, they left on their own will even though they were still vomiting. He was told problem was something like a clogged duct or now they were going to test his thyroid. I quickly looked up duct on my kindle version of "Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up" and asked was it a cystic duct. They said, "Yes that is what it was." I said, well maybe it had to do with their gall bladder. The person responded they had prior taken their gall bladder out. So I said.. oh it is the oil/fat in your food. And of course the person didn't want to hear that. As our exchange was ending, I slipped in you know food addiction is the hardest addiction. His response was "Harder than opiate addiction?" I said, "Yes". I won't have the opportunity to see this person again as it was a chance meeting, but he would be the one I would give the two books too. In "The Healthiest Diet on the Planet", Dr. McDougall explains how this insidious disease came into play, and where to place the justified anger, which is just as harmful as unjustified anger, then the real healing can begin.

Aloha, patty

In reflection I don't know if anyone has watched "Dr. Bull", a TV show based on Dr. Phil's life when he helped choose members of a jury. In essence he shares the real summation talk is in the back room with only the jury members. And that is true with "Dr. McDougall's Digestion Tune-Up". The body doesn't lie. "The Healthiest Diet on the Planet", gives the answers to Why? and Why Not? "Dr. McDougall's Digestion Tune-Up" tells the individual in the bathroom what is happening and how they can take control of their lives again. With these two books the individual becomes more then the sum of all its parts. If you haven't seen Dr. Bull, be sure to check it out.
patty

Postby healthyvegan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:00 pm

is there a typo on page 29? it says 7.5 % & probably should be 75%.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:34 pm

smudgemom wrote:I would not recommend his new book to a SAD newbie. There's too much wiggle room for bad behavior.

That's what I love about Dr. McDougall...his message has been SO consistent from the get-go. Now, I see recipes higher in fat with cashews & sesame oil, which has always be a "no".

And even though the new book is for those transitioning, the 'cheat a little bit' onus lies at the feet of those wanting to do strict McDougall but wish to add cashews, sesame oil, etc. Especially confusing when the message of 'moderation' & addiction was mentioned.

Makes it hard for the strict, successful disciples spreading the word. Give this book to a SAD eater, a little oil becomes mountains of all oils, diet doesn't work & they blame McDougall. And they can point to the exact recipe in the book which started it all.

Dr. McDougall addresses this a bit in his last webinar (beginning just before 49 minute mark). https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -09-29-16/

Would I hesitate to introduce people to the healthiest/starch-based diet because of a couple of recipes with nuts or with 1/8th tsp of optional sesame or chili oil for flavor in a recipe that serves 4 people? No. Because I think those recipes are far healthier than almost any you'll find being distributed in the SAD world. I will probably get this book for my mother for Christmas.

I've only skimmed my copy of this newest book, but I think the angst/hoopla over those recipes is silly and shortsighted. And if cashews and a dash of sesame oil have always been a no, and these nut/sesame recipes are a new thing, I have to wonder if we've been reading the same McDougall. I know there are other recipes that use nuts and optional sesame oil in other McDougall books and newsletters. Using your logic, I'd have to get folks to avoid those books/newsletters/and this site, too, lest they be tempted to bad behavior. Personally, I think individuals have to decide which recipes are right for them. I'm not in charge of others' choices and behavior. And I can't predict it either. Everyone has to start somewhere. Every step in the right direction is a step in the right direction. Even if you fall down a hundred times on the way there, at least you know in which direction you're wanting to go.

Page 28 Dr. McDougall gives the percentages of foods on the Healthiest Diet as 70 to 90 percent starch (pasta, potatoes, rice, bread), 10 to 20 percent nonstarchy vegetables, 5 to 10 percent fruit, and 0 percent meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, and vegetable oils. He also says:
"I would like to add that this is not an 'all or nothing' recommendation. I must, however, teach you the best I know, and then you will do the best you can. Results are usually proportional to the changes you make, but some conditions, such as inflammatory arthritis, require strict adherence to the program."

I don't think that's a new message. All those things in the 0 percent are foods he's classified as feast foods. And nuts, he's classified as a rich plant food.

Anyway, I like what I've seen so far of the book. Good colored pictures are always a plus. :nod:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Nuts and seeds like cashews have always been allowed in the mcdougall diet. Instead of optional sesame oil, probably better to change the recipe to sesame seed powder or tahini. I used to buy white sesame seed powder and black sesame seed powder from the nearby japan grocery. Trader Joe's has also started to sell organic tahini which does not have added oil.
http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/organic-tahini
Many years ago, I bought 1 lb organic habanero powder from mountainroseherbs com and I have not had any need to buy any hot sauce, crushed red pepper, etc. Recently, I bought some organic crushed red pepper and organic sriracha from costco to try out altho I have not yet used up my old lb of organic habanero powder.
colonyofcells

Postby smudgemom » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:10 pm

I don't understand.
In The Coloring Book, as well as HDP, it show oils as "RED".
If it's being used occasionally in recipes, shouldn't it be "YELLOW"?
Can I use oil for my roasted veggies?
And if "RED" oil is used occasional, does that translate to "RED" meat as occasional, as well?
smudgemom

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:13 pm

I think it will be clearer if no oil appears in the recipes. I believe Mcdougall diet does allow for cheat days during the major holidays like thanksgiving so it is probably not necessary to have mcdougall diet purists or fundamentalists.
colonyofcells

Postby viv » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:20 pm

To keep things simple, I just abide by Dr. Esselstyn's command, "NO OIL, not even a drop!"
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:44 pm

colonyofcells wrote:Nuts and seeds like cashews have always been allowed in the mcdougall diet. Instead of optional sesame oil, probably better to change the recipe to sesame seed powder or tahini. I used to buy white sesame seed powder and black sesame seed powder from the nearby japan grocery. Trader Joe's has also started to sell organic tahini which does not have added oil.
http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/organic-tahini
Many years ago, I bought 1 lb organic habanero powder from mountainroseherbs com and I have not had any need to buy any hot sauce, crushed red pepper, etc. Recently, I bought some organic crushed red pepper and organic sriracha from costco to try out altho I have not yet used up my old lb of organic habanero powder.

To get the same flavor as the sesame oil, you'd have to use toasted sesame or tahini that's made from toasted sesame rather than raw sesame seeds. How much seed/powder you'd have to use to get the same flavor that's provided by the 1/8th tsp dark toasted sesame oil, I can't say. But you might find there's no difference in the amount of fat you get if you end up using more seeds/tahini to get the same flavor. Toasted sesame oil is very strong flavored oil. A little goes a long long way flavor-wise.

There's no law that says people have to follow ANY recipe exactly. In fact, I rarely follow most recipes exactly. If I see a recipe with an ingredient I don't like or want to use, I either find an alternative ingredient or an alternative recipe. (As far as I've noticed, sesame oil is always an optional and very minute ingredient when it appears in Mary's recipes.)

BTW, I did sit down and read this latest book this afternoon. I still have no problem with it or with recommending it to others. I think it's a good book, and there are a few recipes in it that I hope to try out on my family soon. I also hope to get my teenage daughters to read it. (No promises there. :lol: )

:mrgreen:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:33 pm

smudgemom wrote:I don't understand.
In The Coloring Book, as well as HDP, it show oils as "RED".
If it's being used occasionally in recipes, shouldn't it be "YELLOW"?
Can I use oil for my roasted veggies?
And if "RED" oil is used occasional, does that translate to "RED" meat as occasional, as well?

The learning curve is very deep. Each individual perception is different at different times as we are all a work in progress. The goal is to eat the healthiest diet, from the knowledge provided. This is a body, mind and social disease. Everyone does the best they can with the knowledge they have dealing with life on life's terms. Why would anyone use oil on their roasted veggies, when they know they taste just as good water sautéd? And especially with knowledge of the natural consequences of oil. Why would anyone eat animal, poultry or fish when they know their skeletons are their fiber, which pulls from our bones to digest? Just because this program is very simple it doesn't mean it isn't very complex. Slipping is the nature of addiction. Alcohol, legal and illegal drugs can be put on the shelf, but food has to be utilized daily. The gift of knowing what is Red, Yellow and Green is like seeing a bear, and the person next to me bends to pray, and I start lacing my boots. And the person says how is that going to help? And I respond if I can out run you, it will. We all live in a world of predators. Dr. McDougall shares about feast days, well there are crisis days too. Starch gives satiety, (the boots laced) where the person can think this through the situation for the best outcome. I know and you know using oil, eating meat is a violent act. Violence creates a state of satisfaction and collectively we have really made a mess of things. We hold a lot of anger in our mouths. By changing our dietary habits, people around us will relax. Look at the young boy who was being home schooled, killed his father then went to a elementary school with the intent to kill and wounded the teacher, and two students and one student died. Schools equate right to reality. There is no right or wrong all there is, is what is happening. That is where the Red, Yellow and Green come in. Dr. McDougall is universal and is with you all the time because truth follows wherever we go.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby -mermaid- » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:50 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:
smudgemom wrote:I would not recommend his new book to a SAD newbie. There's too much wiggle room for bad behavior.

Dr. McDougall addresses this a bit in his last webinar (beginning just before 49 minute mark). https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -09-29-16/

Would I hesitate to introduce people to the healthiest/starch-based diet because of a couple of recipes with nuts or with 1/8th tsp of optional sesame or chili oil for flavor in a recipe that serves 4 people? No. Because I think those recipes are far healthier than almost any you'll find being distributed in the SAD world. I will probably get this book for my mother for Christmas.

I've only skimmed my copy of this newest book, but I think the angst/hoopla over those recipes is silly and shortsighted. And if cashews and a dash of sesame oil have always been a no, and these nut/sesame recipes are a new thing, I have to wonder if we've been reading the same McDougall. I know there are other recipes that use nuts and optional sesame oil in other McDougall books and newsletters. Using your logic, I'd have to get folks to avoid those books/newsletters/and this site, too, lest they be tempted to bad behavior. Personally, I think individuals have to decide which recipes are right for them. I'm not in charge of others' choices and behavior. And I can't predict it either. Everyone has to start somewhere. Every step in the right direction is a step in the right direction. Even if you fall down a hundred times on the way there, at least you know in which direction you're wanting to go.

Page 28 Dr. McDougall gives the percentages of foods on the Healthiest Diet as 70 to 90 percent starch (pasta, potatoes, rice, bread), 10 to 20 percent nonstarchy vegetables, 5 to 10 percent fruit, and 0 percent meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, and vegetable oils. He also says:
"I would like to add that this is not an 'all or nothing' recommendation. I must, however, teach you the best I know, and then you will do the best you can. Results are usually proportional to the changes you make, but some conditions, such as inflammatory arthritis, require strict adherence to the program."

I don't think that's a new message. All those things in the 0 percent are foods he's classified as feast foods. And nuts, he's classified as a rich plant food.

Anyway, I like what I've seen so far of the book. Good colored pictures are always a plus. :nod:

Agreed. I just made a pot of lentil dal and, while it is pretty yummy as is, the addition of 1/4 tsp of sesame oil would give it that little bit of extra dimension that would really enhance the dish and that I don't think would kill me. And it would literally be the ONLY addition of oil to my cooking that would have happened in the past several months. I would have to go to the store and buy a bottle of sesame oil for this one dish though, so it didn't happen and probably won't next time either.
-mermaid-

Postby katgirl55 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:01 pm

I'm doing a paper on WFPB for a class and was using some info from Starch Solution, then got my new book and was going to use that instead. I ended up using different things in my citations, and I believe the new book is less heavy on the science.

Two of dr. Mcdougall's famous quotes are in the new book:

"The fat you eat is the fat you wear."
"People love to hear good news about their bad habits."

I was able to directly quote both of these in my paper. I am finding this book very satisfying, the little I have read so far. As for the recipes containing sesame oil or nuts, I think they always have. I know folks on this board can be sticklers about things. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest this book to anyone starting out. I think the style is very reader friendly and I love the photos! I bought this in hardcover and so glad I did!
katgirl55

Postby wade4veg » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:41 pm

smudgemom wrote: Give this book to a SAD eater, a little oil becomes mountains of all oils, diet doesn't work & they blame McDougall.

You seem to have a very low opinion of most people's ability to discern what is best for their health.
Everything in the book can't be tailored to save the weakest souls.
A drop of oil in the aforementioned recipe won't make most people fly out of control.
The tiny few that would will find some other reason to fall away even if that recipe is eliminated.
wade4veg

Postby Francesca Rose » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:18 am

Before I spend money on another book, can someone please tell me if there's anything new in this book? Compared to The Starch Solution, I mean.

I wonder what more can be written about this diet other than: Fill half to 3/4 of your plate with starch, the rest with vegetables, drink water, a fruit or two, walk 1/2 hour a day minimun, and take B12. Not being mean, just being honest.
We pay the doctor to make us better when we should really be paying the farmer to keep us healthy.
Francesca Rose

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge