Is more magnesium desirable?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is more magnesium desirable?

Postby Tobias Brown » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:50 am

I reviewed a video by UK cardiologist Sanja Gupta and he discusses the desirability of increasing our magnesium consumption, especially for those experiencing ectopic heart beats (palpitations). A quick survey online indicates there are lots of snake oil salespeople saying a similar thing, however a few seem credible. I noticed in my Cronometer that my average is well within range at 800 mg. (Gupta recommends supplementing with 3 grams.)

Having noticed some of these heartbeats myself, I'm considering whether to try to boost my magnesium intake, though I'd talk with my doctor first. Instead of three grams, I'd maybe take one gram tablet, bath more regularly in Epsom salts, and start consuming a lot more chard. (It is said to also aid relaxation and sleep.)

Is this a non-starter? Just stick with more chard?
Tobias Brown

Re: Is more magnesium desirable?

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:57 pm

The only supplement recommended is b12. Except for b12, always get micronutrients from real unrefined food following the non reductionist whole philosophy.
colonyofcells

Re: Is more magnesium desirable?

Postby Old Guy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:56 pm

You have to do what you have to do to remain healthy. I could never eat enough greens to get enough magnesium to suppress my heart palpitations. So I supplement with magnesium every day. It's better than medications.
Old Guy

Return to The Lounge