Oat cakes?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oat cakes?

Postby Oatsandbeans » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:36 am

I grew up eating bread as my main starch, decent bread, mostly homemade by my grandmother. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto"s and was told that gluten may be a problem, so I gave up eating my wonderful whole grain, home made bread. I tried to embrace potatoes and rice as my main starch but they never seemed to satisfy me. A few months ago I started making what I would call oat cakes or oat tortillas. Just ground up gluten free oats, flax and water. I flatten them out and either bake or grill them. I usually have one with herb tea for breakfast and sometime beans. Lunch is usually the same, but I add a salad or soup or another vegetable/ Dinner, ditto.
Is this an acceptable starch? It is about two cups of oat flour a day. I love these things and rarely feel a need to eat anything else. They are so versitale I can even top them like a pizza or a taco. I take them with me where ever I go.
Oatsandbeans

Re: Oat cakes?

Postby dailycarbs » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:03 am

Sounds great to me.

Edit: sorry about the bread. I'm a real bread lover myself but have come to love potatoes, rice and other starches.
dailycarbs

Postby MINNIE » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:48 am

It sounds like a good, and also creative, way to get your starch intake.

The best starch for you is the one you can (and will) eat:).

I love oats, so now I have to try this!
MINNIE

Postby patty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:20 pm

I think it is great you have found something that gives you comfort and satiety. I stopped eating oats for awhile and have started eating them again. I was amazed how easy they are to digest:) and how different they feel than bread. I remember Jeff Novick shared the calorie fat from the oats are high... so I just checked:

faBob's Red Mill Rolled Oats http://www.vitacost.com/bobs-red-mill-o ... fgod7QQFpA

Exekiel 4:9 Low Sodium Sprouted Whole Grain http://www.foodforlife.com/product/brea ... k=5neBak9x

I am not sure how much a concern that is.. in the mean time I am loving them:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby BroccoliForever » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:31 pm

That sounds very delicious! Your oat cakes could be a new trend!
BroccoliForever

Postby MINNIE » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Oatsand beans, can you give the proportion of oats to flax that you use?

I don't need a formal recipe, just an estimate would be okay.

MINNIE

Postby Oatsandbeans » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:44 pm

I usually add 1-2 tablespoons of flax, but they are great without the flax, too. Cinnamon, ground almonds, millet, herbs are all additions that add flavor and texture.

Something that has really surprised me is the amazing satiety factor of these little cakes. I can go all morning on just 2-3. I have never had that kind of luck eating oatmeal porridge, even with the addition of flax, fruit and plant milk. With porridge I feel hungry a few hours after eating it.
Oatsandbeans

Postby Emily » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:05 am

How much of the oat part of the recipe? If you can give estimates, proportions of all three ingredients would be amazing. This sounds great. Corn tortillas leave me hungry, but sometimes you want a dry food! Plus, I could do a coarse grind on the oats! How dry are they when they go in the oven? How thick? How long do you bake, at what temp? I can experiment, but any info about your experience will help me not waste ingredients.

Thanks for sharing and for any info you are willing to give! What a fabulous idea!
Emily

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:55 pm

I usually boil to avoid high temperature cooking and to also get more water to make the fiber work better.
colonyofcells

Postby Oatsandbeans » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:17 pm

I use 11/2 to 2 cups oat flour, coursly ground, a dash of salt (optional but it does really bring out the flavor), 1-2 tablespoons ground flax seed. And any other additions you might like. I usually add a teaspoon of cinnamon, a bit of maple syrup or for a savory cake rosemary, garlic ect.

Add about a half a cup of water, this really depends on your flour/oats. It should be stiff, but pliable. Keep adding water until you get the desired texture.

Roll into balls about the size of a smallish golf balls. Roll the balls into more flour or corn meal or gluten free ground cereal...think Bob's Red Mill here. The cereal adds extra texture. I sometimes add a few tablespoons of the cereal to my flour mixture.
Roll between two pieces of parchment paper adding enough extra flour/cereal so the paper peels off. Thickness should be like a corn tortillas maybe a bit thicker.

I usually cook in a heated non-stick skillet for 2 -3 minutes per side. They look darker as they cook through...
Cool on a cake rack and enjoy.

If you prefer to bake transfer to a cookie sheet lined with partchment paper and bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes, longer if you want more of a cracker. They really taste different to me bakes as opposed to pan cooked tortilla style. Both are good. But you want them to be more like a tortilla when cooked. They should still be pliable.
Last edited by Oatsandbeans on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oatsandbeans

Postby Emily » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:30 pm

Wow! Those are fabulous, detailed instructions! Thank you! Your contribution by sharing your recipe/method will make this so much easier. That's lovely.

Thanks again,

Emily
Emily

Postby figlover » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:25 am

The added cornmeal is a nice touch. I gotta try these!!!
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby calvin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:50 am

A thin layer of cornmeal on a cookie sheet is a substitute for parchment paper if you don't mind a little cornmeal sticking to the bottom of your product.
calvin

Postby Nitah » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:23 am

These sound so good! Have a pot of Pintos on, so I'm thinking this will be the perfect addition. Thanks for posting your recipe. :)
Nitah

Postby chewy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:17 pm

your oat cakes sound delicious oatsand beans! how did you discover the mcdougall plan?
chewy

Next

Return to The Lounge