Oat cakes?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Oat cakes?

Postby Oatsandbeans » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:14 pm

I began eating a starch based diet in 2011 after several years of eating a HFLC diet. I was sick, tired and having all kinds of health issues. I stumbled upon Dr. McDougll and even wrote to him. He wrote back and encouraged me to give his starch diet a try. He ended the email with the comment, " I think you will be pleased". I did give it a try and I am pleased!
Oatsandbeans

Postby chewy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:16 pm

do youse GF oats oatsandbeans?
chewy

Postby Old Guy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:49 pm

Eating oat too much could cause a problem as well. There is a prolamine in oats, Avena sativa, that can cause the same affect as gluten. It may not be gluten in wheat that is the problem, it could be any one of 8 parts of the grain that is the problem. The only grains I can tolerate are rice, quinoa and buckwheat.
Old Guy

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks for posting this, oatsandbeans! I was just telling a friend how I make pancakes, because she is frustrated with gluten and egg free recipes she's tried for her children. My pancakes are similar to your oat cakes but I put baking powder in them. Do you use any leavening at all? I wonder why not try yeast, maybe will try that. I love your addition of cornmeal.

I too loved bread, but have to be gluten free because of thyroid issues. I still make it for my husband an one son but really miss all the different grains and crunchy things, and I just love bread and sandwiches. Corn tortillas are not cutting it. I'm going to try your oat cakes! Thanks again!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Oatsandbeans » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:42 am

After reading the post from Old Guy I have taken a couple of days off oats. I actually gave up all grains for the last few days. I had a hard time getting enough calories and felt very anxious when I woke up in the mornings. I get anxiety if I cut my calories too low. At least I think that is why, It could be that my carbs were lower, too, but I ate lots of sweet potatoes and pumpkin.
When I went gluten free I just gave up gluten containing grains thinking the little bit I might get from contaminated non-gluten grains wouldn't matter. Maybe it did. I have never been tested for gluten problems but have a always had tummy pain after eating wheat.
Oatsandbeans

Postby chewy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:03 pm

will you go back to your oats eating ?the recipes sounded delicious and satisfying ,not to mention healthy!!
chewy

Postby Oatsandbeans » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:58 pm

I am going to wait and see how I feel. So far so good. I do miss my oatcakes! I guess I could make corn tortillas, however, I have not found a non GMO source of corn masa.
Oatsandbeans

Postby chewy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:08 pm

what starches are you eating daily?stil eating beans daily?i love my daily beans at lunch with salad.
chewy

Postby Taggart » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:45 am

I'm sure the home made oat cakes will be better for you than Nairn's Oat Cakes, I used to eat occasionally as a teenager back in the 60's. My mother brought them into the house, but I never really cared much for the taste. I was watching a documentary the other day where my Scottish ancestors were making oat cakes at least as far back as the 1700's, if not before.

Nowadays I just stick to eating my cooked porridge oats virtually every morning.
Taggart

Postby chewy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:25 pm

hi oatsandbeans,i sent you a personal message .hope you get it!!hoep you return to your oat cakes daily. they sound delicious !
chewy

Postby chewy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:12 am

have you added the oats cakes back in yet Oatsandbeans?
chewy

Previous

Return to The Lounge