Looking for help on how to respond in non-critical ways

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Looking for help on how to respond in non-critical ways

Postby dynodan62 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:23 am

GeoffreyLevens wrote:To be fair to Mom, all the bitter greens used to make me physically gag unless I hid them under thick cheese sauce. Never ate them. When I started eating this way I discovered that I could hide them under mashed baked sweet potato so started doing that from time to time. Took quite a number of months but actually started to enjoy them, and then gradually, with less and less of the sweet potato. Now I love them plain, even raw, in salad, whatever. Tasted do change but I guess you have to be willing.

My tastes have certainly broadened over the years. While I no longer turn up my nose if someone offers me beets or brussle sprouts, it wasn't until my early twenties that I discovered green salads were actually palatable if smothered with creamy dressing. I wonder though, if I could now eat the same canned shredded spinach that actually made me gag as a child. The frequent traumatic dinner table anguish between my parents and I is still fresh in my mind (must have been the 'Popeye' influence for their generation that made them push it so emphatically). If they had held a gun to my head, I still couldn't have choked it down!
I eventually learned to love the sautéd/creamed spinach side dish typically served only in gourmet restaurants, but those days are over now.
dynodan62

Re: Looking for help on how to respond in non-critical ways

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:34 am

choufleur wrote:
GeoffreyLevens wrote:To be fair to Mom, all the bitter greens used to make me physically gag unless I hid them under thick cheese sauce. Never ate them. When I started eating this way I discovered that I could hide them under mashed baked sweet potato so started doing that from time to time. Took quite a number of months but actually started to enjoy them, and then gradually, with less and less of the sweet potato. Now I love them plain, even raw, in salad, whatever. Tasted do change but I guess you have to be willing.
And that is usually how I get my toddler to eat the bitter greens: mix them with mashed sweet potatoes! Or mashed apple. :)

Yippee! I am a toddler in disguise. Sort of a thin disguise but I hope it is working.
GeoffreyLevens

Previous

Return to The Lounge