Shingles vaccine???

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Shingles vaccine???

Postby mountain » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:41 pm

I have heard that shingles is extremely painful and hits people over 60.
Now I have been wondering what Dr. McDougall's take on the shingle vaccination is? Does anyone know ? I used search and nothing came up.
mountain

Re: Shingles vaccine???

Postby dailycarbs » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:06 pm

IIRC he said that he and Mary had the vaccine but I don't remember what video I heard it on. Maybe one of the webinars? Wait for confirmation before your take my word for it.
dailycarbs

Postby jsmo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:09 pm

It can hit under 60 folks too, especially those under high stress. I've had two boyfriends that got shingles. Super painful. Not sure on the vaccine.

I wasn't the stressor. :D Both were VPs working 20-hour days and never stopping.
Living and Loving Plant-Based.
http://plantbasedkitchenadventures.com/
jsmo

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:13 pm

I was under 60 when I had shingles--twice (yes, you can get it again). My co-worker, who is in her early 40's has also had it at least twice--maybe three times.

My cases were both relatively mild, but annoying. Depending on what part of the body it affects, it can be more painful.

I got the vaccine after having it twice. Haven't had it again.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Plumerias » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:51 pm

I too was under 60 when I had shingles, and it was a seriously bad case. I still have residual pain on occasion. And I still get an occasional bump that looks like a bug bite, that itches like heck and has pain associated with it. DH read somewhere that there is a new shingles vaccine due out sometime next year, that's supposed to be better. I was reticent to get the vaccine after my first bout with it, but I think I'll have to go ahead and get this one. If you do a search here, perhaps you will find some comments that would be helpful to you.
Plumerias

Postby skane9041 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:01 pm

I had shingles also, when I was well under 60. In fact, I was 28 and pregnant with my son. They were in a line from the front of my thigh, around the back of my leg, across my rear and partway up my back. The pain was excruciating, something I would only wish on some type of terrorist.
Sandi
----------------------

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."...Leo Tolstoy
skane9041

Postby mountain » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:47 am

Thanks everyone!
I emailed Dr.McDougall yesterday and he answered right back, I was so impressed :-D He wrote that he and Mary both got the
vaccination so I am calling my MD today to ask for the vaccination.
Before I had emailed Dr.McDougall I had done a little research and it looks like this vaccine is very safe.
mountain

Postby Dougalling » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi

When the vaccine first came out, they had a small supply of it, therefore, they decided to only give it to people over 60.
Only those that have had chicken pox need the vaccine.
That's all I know.
Dougalling

Postby MINNIE » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:53 am

I had the shingles vax about six years ago. No problems with the shot, and my doctor said it has been very safe.

Never had it myself, but I do know people who had shingles. It was so horrible I would probably have taken even a risky vaccination to avoid it.
MINNIE

Postby Franchesca_S. » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Just an FYI: my aunt had shingles many years ago (maybe 40 years?) before these vaccines were available and before alternative medicines were as well accepted as now. Shingles left her with chronic pain and a need for pain meds. Her friend convinced her to go to Sacramento to see an acupuncturist. After one treatment her pain was totally relieved and she no longer needed pain meds. She went once a month to have the needle replaced and it stayed taped in place on her shoulder.
Franchesca_S.

Postby Jerry Angelo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Is the vaccine a one time thing or do you need to repeat?
108 Pounds Lost Since Sept 2014 - And Counting
No more pre diabetes! Eternally grateful to Dr. McDougall! And Jeff Novick!!!
My Journal
Jerry Angelo

Postby dailycarbs » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Jerry Angelo wrote:Is the vaccine a one time thing or do you need to repeat?

Protection from shingles vaccine lasts about 5 years, so adults vaccinated before they are 60 years old might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shi ... d-know.htm
dailycarbs

Postby Jerry Angelo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:58 pm

Thank you dailycarbs.
108 Pounds Lost Since Sept 2014 - And Counting
No more pre diabetes! Eternally grateful to Dr. McDougall! And Jeff Novick!!!
My Journal
Jerry Angelo

Postby openmind » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:10 pm

Dougalling wrote:Hi

When the vaccine first came out, they had a small supply of it, therefore, they decided to only give it to people over 60.
Only those that have had chicken pox need the vaccine.
That's all I know.

I don't remember if I got chicken pox as a kid!
openmind

Postby Poison Ivy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:01 pm

I am mid 50's. My mother got shingles in her mid 60's. It was very painful and she still has pain from it now and she just turned 72. Should I try getting the vaccine now or wait until I am 60? Will my drug insurance plan even pay for it if you are under 60?

Thank You--
Poison Ivy

Next

Return to The Lounge