Changing perspectives of weight.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Changing perspectives of weight.

Postby f1jim » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:03 pm

At the 10 day McDougall program several months ago Dr. McDougall informed me that for optimum health I needed to shed some weight. This came as no shock to me. I knew I ran toward the high side of the BMI scale even following a 100% compliant diet. He told me to simplify the diet further. Eat lower on the caloric density scale. His exact words were.."I want you refuge thin." Well that was a few months back and I have applied the advice to my daily eating and I am 20lbs lighter than I was at the 10 day. I am probably not even half way to where he wants me at on that weight chart. It is happening surely but steadily. While that goes on I have a few observations to note.
Looking at the 20lb lighter Jim it does make a difference in appearance. Even at this stage clothes fit better and I walk lighter.
When this started I couldn't visualize losing another 40+ pounds. It seemed to extreme. He wanted me at the weight I haven't seen since 6th grade.
Looking at myself in the mirror this morning it was clear he was right. I could stand to lose an additional 20lbs with no problem. It was there staring back at me and I had to admit his assessment was spot on.
So at the ASW Dr, McDougall would walk by and say "Think beans and rice." So during the whole event I laid out a plan to get there quicker using his suggestions. I started this morning on something between a Mary's mini and the Walter Kempner rice diet.
It's essentially brown rice and mixed vegetables and every meal. I figure I can get to my goal within 60 days. I am 164 despite the last three days of McDougall food nirvana in Santa Rosa. I have a feeling getting to 145-147 should put me right where I need to be for optimal health.
So I ponder what my thoughts will be from the vantage point of being in the 140's? Too much weight loss? Not enough? It should be an interesting trip. Wonder what my primary doctor will think? This might even be entertaining.
In an interesting irony of words I look forward to looking back. If you are interested come along for the ride with me.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Changing perspectives of weight.

Postby JuicerJohn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Refugee thin? Wow, that does sound a bit extreme, but I have heard recommendations from other sources about trying to be on the low end of the healthy BMI range.

If you don't mind my asking, what would your BMI be at 145?
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby dailycarbs » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:48 pm

Good luck. I've been on this trip. It is entertaining and you will learn a lot.
dailycarbs

Postby Chikiwing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:21 pm

JuicerJohn wrote:Refugee thin? Wow, that does sound a bit extreme, but I have heard recommendations from other sources about trying to be on the low end of the healthy BMI range.

If you don't mind my asking, what would your BMI be at 145?

I'm curious too. What is you height, if you don't mind saying.
“Americanism, not Globalism, will be our credo!”― Donald J. Trump
Chikiwing

Postby f1jim » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:35 pm

I am 5'7" and I am at 164 right now.
At 145 I would be at 22.7 BMI
That seems rather ordinary for a BMI number but as I mentioned I haven't been that weight since 6th grade. I was 155 in high school. I didn't look or seem heavy then.
You can see why he wants me even thinner if only by the BMI charts.
There used to be a statistic about how much more vascular highway one has for every pound of weight gain. Can't remember the figure. Less weight should make for a lower load on the heart. It makes sense.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby mountain » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Female, 60 years old, 2 children.....I am 140 lbs at 5'9"....BMI is 20.7
Even at that BMI, which is at the lower end, I still have a little bit of a belly I could lose.

How tall are you? And are you really muscular. I find that when I muscle up, I look way better/thinner. :D
mountain

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Good luck Jim! Trust in Dr. McDougall and the science of healthy BMIs. I'm excited to join you on your journey and know you will do well following the plan!!!

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby patty » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:44 pm

Hmmm bottom line I feel we are all ghosting:) And if you feel good at the weight you are and your food is clean I wouldn't worry. I have witnessed people in AA sober for 20 years and I don't want what they have. This is a body, mind and social disease. Remember when working the McDougall program you are working food and money together. Scarcity is the illusion. Plants survive all seasons starch based. Summer doesn't oppose winter. It is to look beyond the season. There is a new currency that is inclusive of paying it forward. And you do that generously... :) If your weight is to come off it will.. but right now you are at the perfect weight because it is what it is. Remember you are a Light Body:)

I love this from Elisabet Sahtouris:

Evolution Biologist Elisabet Sahtouris on learning economics from nature:

I believe the role of money will be the role of that currency called adennison triphosphate in your own body. In yourselves where the money is issued in order to make the transactions happen and it is never repaid. It's issued over and over depending on how much you need but it's a disappearing currency. It works to make a transaction happen then it's not there anymore. So basically the highest evolution of the economy would have that kind of a gifted currency.

For the whole video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpk4UPjmdzU

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Chikiwing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:11 pm

f1jim wrote:I am 5'7" and I am at 164 right now.
At 145 I would be at 22.7 BMI

I thought you was going to say something like 6'1".
“Americanism, not Globalism, will be our credo!”― Donald J. Trump
Chikiwing

Postby amandamechele » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:16 pm

Good luck Jim! I look forward to following your journey.
amandamechele

Postby f1jim » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks Amanda.
One thing about going to a lot of McDougall events and local McDougall functions...There is no hiding from ones weight and overall health. I see many McDougallers at these events and one of the motivating things is seeing them in continuing good health. I wish this for myself as well.
Just as with seeing your regular GP, the doctors, dieticians, and McDougall staff see your overall health. That's also motivating.

Most all of the leaders in the plant based movement are thin and trim. They live out this lifestyle and they are under scrutiny with each event. This last ASW I was marveling at how great Gustavo Toluso looked in person. I see him twice a year at these events and on the McDougall webinars. If you haven't seen him recently you will be shocked. He really is a new man. He brims with health and vitality. I almost didn't recognize him.

For those that have asked me privately about the information on caloric density it's readily available as a sticky in Jeff Novicks forum. You know, the forum we all pay lip service to but don't read often enough? Here is another link to his amazing talk on caloric density.....

http://youtu.be/0CdwWliv7Hg

f1jim
f1jim

Postby Basel » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:10 pm

I am 6 feet tall and weigh 145 pounds and I don't think that I am too thin. I have no trouble sustaining this body weight using potatoes as my main starch.
Basel

Postby LuckyMomma » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi Jim,

It was nice to meet you, Terry, and Lena. I too could lose some weight even though I'm just 10 pounds from my lightest high school weight. After seeing the McDougall family in person, I came home feeling like I gotta look like I live the lifestyle.

Jim, wouldn't it be easier to go to true north so you can forget about food for a few weeks :D
LuckyMomma

Postby f1jim » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:32 pm

I work for a living AND I am a cheapskate. I can do this on my own.
On top of that I actually love brown rice and a small amount of veggies.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby openmind » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:09 pm

f1jim wrote:I work for a living AND I am a cheapskate. I can do this on my own.
On top of that I actually love brown rice and a small amount of veggies.
f1jim

Just curious- what do you spice your veggies and brown rice with?

I like to use soy sauce but can get too generous at times.
openmind

Next

Return to The Lounge