Dahlias for dinner?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dahlias for dinner?

Postby Glenn50 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Looking for a change in your starches? Why not try Dahlia tubers for a change. a dual purpose crop that provides a tasty harvest after a summer of dazzling flowers.
The Dahlia was grown by the Aztecs as a food crop root vegetable.Originally introduced to the UK as a promising edible,this plant is only known today for its aesthetic appeal.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... e-a-dahlia

I think after my dahlias die down this coming season I might just try a few tubers added to a casserole for fun.

Glenn
Glenn50

Re: Dahlias for dinner?

Postby viv » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:25 am

What an interesting story. My Dad used to have the most beautiful dahlia garden in England. It was at the front of our house and every summer there was a steady stream of people who would walk by and stop and admire the gorgeous display. In the Autumn I helped him dig up the tubers and store them for the winter, to be divided and planted again the next Spring. I don't think we could have eaten them, even if we had known they were edible, because the dahlia tubers were far too valuable for their beauty as flowering plants.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Return to The Lounge