Volunteer!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

I serve/work as a volunteer.

True
69%
False
31%

Total votes : 29

Volunteer!

Postby pinkrose » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:32 am

While many in Tennessee think of football when they see this word, I am using it as a verb. Did you know that volunteering seems to help add life to years and years to life?

See:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-key-to-a-long-healthy-retirement-2016-08-23

Do you volunteer? :?: Please vote in the poll and tell us about your volunteering experiences! :-D
pinkrose

Re: Volunteer!

Postby wolfhowl » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:07 am

Yes, I volunteer at an organization in our community called "With Love from Jesus". They run a food pantry and also give away other things that are donated like clothes, shoes, small household items, and furniture. The food comes from local grocery stores plus what people donate. My 8 yr old and I go together. I want her to learn that although we have "wants" we don't truly have "needs". It is humbling to see how many people are walking around with huge difficulties yet their needs are hidden. They are invisible to society at large. I wish our country had taken the money we've spent in the Middle East over the past 15 years and used it to provide for our own citizens. I spoke to a woman the last time we were there who came too get food because both she and her husband have cancer and the medical bills are just killing them. I look forward to having more time to volunteer in the future. Right now I am still working about 30 hours a week plus I have 4 kids ranging in age from 8-18. Life's a little busy right now but I love to help others as much as I can.
Starting Weight 207
Current Weight 185.5
wolfhowl

Postby MINNIE » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:03 am

I'll confess -I don't volunteer. In one phase of my life I did it a lot. That was because I thought it's what a good person should do.

But I guess I'm just not a good person:).

I realized that I really did not like volunteer work at all. After years of making myself do it, I stopped. I just kept being bothered by the inefficiency and ineffectiveness of many of non-profit entities I encountered. Of course I know that there are good ones, and of course I know that my attitude was unfair.

But, there it is. I hated volunteer work and decided not to feel guilty any more about not doing it. There are other ways to contribute, and I found one that works for me.

I would much rather work more hours at my real job, and send money to my favorite non-profits.

So that's what I do.
MINNIE

Postby geo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:49 am

What does volunteer mean? I in fact, volunteer my money, as opposed to my time, simply because its the best I can do at this time. And yes we give a lot to various organizations we believe in and want to help with. Far more than I could ever volunteer my time too. So to me its a win-win situation.

At other times in my life I have volunteered my time and effort to giving back to those in need, but I never feel bad that I can't do that anymore right now. We all do the best we can and hope it helps the most. In return, we ask for nothing, as it should be.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby patty » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:48 am

Interesting... for myself as a SAD addict my life spins automatically into service. Today the greatest amount of endorphins for myself are released from working. A starch based lifestyle allows me to stay healthy, dodge the white coats, and continue to work. I am a bottom feeder in the medical profession, a home health aide which puts me in the best position to do service. Because where I sit the only place is up. And I get paid for it. Do I make the same amount of money as the top feeders, No, but i bet I am happier. I imagine those who can afford to volunteer have the same gift, as it is only when you give it away, do you have it, to be it. When i run across workers who volunteer for Hospice... I always suggest they become home health aides and get paid for their work as they are needed, because the people they care for are working the front lines for valued life. Some people stay sick to teach us how to get well, as some get well to teach us.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Vegankit » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:33 pm

I run a couple of programs for my local library - most are outreach programs in the community including a walking program. One of my favorites, which I initiated, is my Adventures for Adults- each month I organize something - sometimes they are trips to a museum (both well known large institutions or tiny obscure places) - my favorite was one to a local fire station where we got both the "kiddie tour" they give the school kids but also the history and changes in the equipment and technology.

I got a new dog a few months ago and we have been training as a team and recently passed the Therapy Dog International. I'll be taking her to a library in a poor section of town where we will be working as "Tail Waggin' Tutors" where children will read to my dog - it's a way to encourage poor readers in a non-stressful way.

The irony is most people think I'm an extrovert since I'm always meeting new people in what I'm doing - however I'm actually an introvert.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Volunteered for 16 hrs straight, from 4PM Sat. to 8AM Sunday at the Leadville 100 mi run. Fed and watered 100s of runners all night long. Scalded and scarred from dozens of pots of ramen noodles.

Volunteering at race aid stations is almost as much fun as racing. Definitely less painful. I appreciate all the volunteers when I race, so it's fun to give back.
vgpedlr

Postby Crystal_Pegasus » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 pm

I and my family (my dad, husband, son) volunteer with the Friends Group (for 21 years now) in an outback national park (Australia) doing things such as ruin/old building restoration projects, tree planting, weed eradication, upkeep of campgrounds/picnic areas/trails, working on a database of all the points of interest in the park etc.

Twice a year we also run 3 or 4 weeks of school holiday programs in the park including kids activities, tours and telescope nights.

It's an area I have visited all my life so have a great appreciation for it and this is a way I personally can help make it thrive and protect it.
Crystal_Pegasus

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:54 am

I use my free time to watch youtube so I have no time to volunteer. I also spend some time on forums. If I become rich and do not need to work any more, I will probably have time to volunteer.
colonyofcells

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:13 pm

I volunteer as a shop steward for my union, I teach reading to adults through the public library, and I serve on the board of my community association. While on a somewhat lengthy vacation in Fort Bragg, I also volunteered at a garden at the senior center. And I work full time.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby katgirl55 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:50 am

I used to help out with the food drive here at my place of work, but found that I was getting angry and resentful about all the hours I was expected to put in, the competitive nature of the project in general, and other volunteers who were annoying. One gal with whom I get along fine otherwise tended to become very manic and bossy when it came time for the food drive activities, to the point that I finally asked to be relieved of duties. I would rather donate money on my own, and perhaps later in life I will offer my time when I am not working.
katgirl55

Postby kirkj » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:19 pm

I have done lots of small volunteer jobs over the years. I do lots of garden related things because I like gardens and gardeners and I'm good at it. I have served as site coordinator and board member of a local community garden. Planting and maintaining the flower gardens in front of the Food Co-op. Helping to grow thousands of seedlings for a community garden fundraiser. Running a Giving Garden where everything grown is given to a food pantry.

I do other things as they come up. I organized and helped a group at work to man the donation bucket for the Salvation Army at Christmas. Edited a newsletter for a non-profit.

People who donate money are just as valuable as people who donate time. Both have their merits, but I've got more time than money right now :)
kirkj

Postby Jack Monzon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:22 pm

colonyofcells wrote:I use my free time to watch youtube so I have no time to volunteer. I also spend some time on forums. If I become rich and do not need to work any more, I will probably have time to volunteer.

Same. I watch a great deal of Netflix too (currently watching Broadchurch) and between my TV, Internet, and work, I have no time to work for free (volunteer).
Jack Monzon

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:47 am

I volunteer...and get paid...to do festival medical...when I'm volunteering my time, I provide a valuable service babysitting festival kids who either drank too much or took too much drugs (or both) after triaging them for possible medical intervention...part of the volunteer job is to provide a safe place for those people who are not in need of medical care...I provide psychological support for bad trips...water and a cool down space for the people who may have danced themselves into overheating while on drugs...and when I'm getting paid I walk around a festival site through the campgrounds looking for people who are "down" and need immediate help. It's been an interesting experience. I once pulled a naked kid out of a porta potty who was freaking out and went in there to hide.

I have to say that the drug culture has changed so much that there is a huge need for harm reduction education. Some of the drugs the kids are taking are not dangerous if used properly...and all drugs need to be tested...I do a lot of education and pass out cards with information from DanceSafe and the Festival Lawyer, kind of off the cuff education that is not endorsed by promoters. I teach people to stay with their friends...you wouldn't believe how many people get abandoned by their friends when the trip goes wrong. I don't condone drug use at festivals...but I don't judge and condemn either because it is very much a part of the culture and the young kids need to learn from us old hippies...

Hoping to change the world, babysitting one spun out kid at a time...this helps festival promoters because of the Rave act...which is bad legislation...having medical professionals on the team qualified to triage drug use can minimalize external involvement.

https://www.amendtheraveact.org/
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Return to The Lounge