Essential Fatty Acids poll

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

How do I get my essential fatty acids?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:36 am

I add nothing to my regular McDougall diet.
45%
I add a supplement (pills, capsules or tablets).
2%
I add walnuts.
14%
I add flax seeds.
38%
I add something else.
No votes

Total votes : 42

Essential Fatty Acids poll

Postby pinkrose » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:36 am

I first used flax seeds and and then walnuts for a few years to insure that my EFA intake was adequate. After reading the advice of Dr. McDougall and Dr. Esselstyn a few years ago, I omitted the walnuts.

As we age, we may often ask if the physical changes we observe are related only to aging or if we have developed a disease/condition that should be treated. I expect this is especially in true in regard to nocturia. After the symptoms progressed, I suspected that I had diabetes insipidus and I was treated for this last year. The med, desmopressin, was effective but I did not like the side effects. So after a few months I stopped taking it and I was better than I had been before I took it.

I was also bothered little by this when I was in the USA in the summer. After I returned to China (and my Chinese McDougall diet), I became more symptomatic, rising several times/night to void.

I tried to adjust my diet but none of the changes made a big difference. Then I recalled that these symptoms began (or worsened) after I stopped eating walnuts. So I wondered if there was any connection.

Of course the opinions about EFA vary greatly but since I read that an EFA deficiency may cause dryness and excessive urination, I began eating an ounce of walnuts daily this week. I have also reduced my rice intake a bit.

The symptoms have decreased and I feel good. So of course I wonder if I have/had an EFA deficiency.

I think I will continue to eat an ounce of walnuts daily. See http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=99

Please vote in the poll and tell us what you think about your need for EFA supplementation. :-D
Last edited by pinkrose on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkrose

Re: Essential Fatty Acids poll

Postby calvin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:34 am

I voted do nothing. As I remember, Nathan Pritikin said an olive a month would satisfy fatty acid requirements, or was it a week? Regardless, I believe him. Nocturnal urination in older men (every 2hr for me at 73y/o with enlargement but no cancer...yet) is no mystery. Enlarged prostate encroaches on real estate formerly available to the urinary bladder. I think there is a benefit to having to get up; sleeping in one position for long periods of time is not a good idea.
calvin

Postby pinkrose » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:43 am

calvin wrote:I voted do nothing. As I remember, Nathan Pritikin said an olive a month would satisfy fatty acid requirements, or was it a week? Regardless, I believe him. Nocturnal urination in older men (every 2hr for me at 73y/o with enlargement but no cancer...yet) is no mystery. Enlarged prostate encroaches on real estate formerly available to the urinary bladder. I think there is a benefit to having to get up; sleeping in one position for long periods of time is not a good idea.

Thanks for your comments, Calvin. Do you wake up feeling extremely dry and thirsty every every morning? :?:
pinkrose

Postby Chikiwing » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:46 am

Walnuts.
“Americanism, not Globalism, will be our credo!”― Donald J. Trump
Chikiwing

Postby Jack Monzon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:53 am

I put a tablespoon of cracked flax seed on my oatmeal, as well as a handful of almonds/walnuts.
Jack Monzon

Postby MINNIE » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 am

I do nothing extra - I just eat the food:).

No signs thus far of any need for me to change this.
MINNIE

Postby calvin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:44 am

pinkrose wrote:Do you wake up feeling extremely dry and thirsty every every morning?
I do not enjoy drinking plain water (too much sugar water in my youth?) and I do not wake up thirsty, so at bedtime, I set a cup of tap water bedside for the morning to remind me to rehydrate. I force it down like medicine. I tend to be one of those who doesn't crave water until it's too late. :\

The yogis think water on an empty stomach is a good idea and, while I take no stock in illuminating chakras or in awakening kundalini, I do agree with them on water and on benefits of stretching and strength building per the Hatha school.

Obviously, how often and how much I pee overnight is a function of how active I was, how hydrated I stayed, and how hot the weather...all during daytime. I seem to be processing between 1gal and 1.5gal of H20 per 24hrs.

When I first became interested in better health (ca 1970), I believed a high fiber diet would make me less susceptable to dehydration. I have since changed my mind about that since I find that not staying hydrated makes me just as constipated on a plants-only diet as on a SAD diet.

Regarding dryness, if I make the mistake of brushing my teeth or using mouthwash before bed, I wake up with paper dry (literally) mouth. I mean it's scary; feels like I must be careful moving my tongue or my lips because skin might be torn; everything is stuck together. The toothpaste was KILLING off all the lifeforms in my mouth I guess. Headline reads Salivary Glands Declare Nightshift Unacceptable Condition Of Employment :D This is new to me since adopting this WOE; never experienced that previously; i do not understand it. But it's another good reason to not sleep clear through the night. Brush without toothpaste now, threw out the mouthwash - problem solved.
calvin

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:38 am

I use various sources of omega 3 : fresh purslane from the farmers market, flax seed powder I keep in the freezer, chia seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts. In the past, I have also tried perilla seed powder from the korea grocery.
colonyofcells

Postby katgirl55 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:26 am

I am not adding anything at the moment but your symptoms remind me of my own for sleep apnea (nocturia, dry mouth). Have you ever been tested?

Until I knew this is what caused my nighttime urination I also thought I had diabetes insipidus, although the doctor kept checking me for diabetes mellitis and it always came back negative. Finally, after going to the sleep clinic and speaking with the nurse fitting me for a CPAP mask, I found that sleep apnea was the cause. Losing weight has helped me with the apnea as well as the symptoms that go with it.
katgirl55

Postby patty » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:55 am

If I eat total plants... no salt etc, voiding with urgency/frequency happens. When I use say canned tomatoes with sodium or other can foods like corn, it lessens. And I don't worry about the sodium in condiments (fermented veggies). Other than that I don't use salt on my food. Now that you mention it I imagine my using tofu or using soy milk for soups has slowed the urgency/frequency down. I had never attributed it too fat. At one time I have used flax and occasionally I use walnuts but not very often.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby kirkj » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:04 pm

I put a tablespoon of ground flax in my oatmeal every morning. I used to be obsessive about putting everything into CRON-O-Meter and my omega-6 to omega-3 ratio was usually around 2:1 or 3:1 unless I ate almonds or something else that pushed up the omega-6. Jeff says you're good if you keep it under 4:1, so I don't worry over it.
kirkj

Postby pinkrose » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:38 pm

katgirl55 wrote:I am not adding anything at the moment but your symptoms remind me of my own for sleep apnea (nocturia, dry mouth). Have you ever been tested?

Until I knew this is what caused my nighttime urination I also thought I had diabetes insipidus, although the doctor kept checking me for diabetes mellitis and it always came back negative. Finally, after going to the sleep clinic and speaking with the nurse fitting me for a CPAP mask, I found that sleep apnea was the cause. Losing weight has helped me with the apnea as well as the symptoms that go with it.

No, I have not been tested but I am feeling good and "normal" now.

I am so glad you got relief! Becoming light helps your body in many ways! :nod:
pinkrose

Postby ryaneallen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Leafy greens, raw or cooked, are very rich in omega-3 EFAs... I load up on my greens...
ryaneallen

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:45 pm

I have heard that sheep can have high omega 3 from the greens that they eat.
colonyofcells

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:20 pm

From two teaspoons of ground linseeds (aka flaxseeds) with oats for breakfast most days as well as leafy greens. I have access to freshly picked leafy greens of some description which I eat daily.
Pumpkin Pete

Next

Return to The Lounge