Probiotics

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Probiotics

Postby bruklynstu » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:18 pm

I have issues with my stomach since I was a teenager. It seems like this lifestyle should help me with it.
My question is do I still need to try and use probiotics and does anyone have recommendations?
bruklynstu

Re: Probiotics

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:10 pm

Probiotics are not needed in the mcdougall diet.
colonyofcells

Postby patty » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:00 am

If you haven't already read "Dr. McDougall's Digestion Tune-Up" be sure too! Every house hold should have a copy. I enjoy soy yogurt, that I make with probiotics. In the islands we have a lot Asian fermented foods. Tonight though I had a sauerkraut/vegan cheese made from potatoes, veggies, white beans and nutritional yeast on toasted rye with two pickles. We reside in the best lab there is. You will find out what works for your digestion, and that will keep you on track. You might create a digestion diary.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:19 am

I used to take expensive probiotics. They didn't seem to help but who can really tell? Then I read that Dr. McDougall says basically, try them if you want but discontinue them if they don't work since they're expensive. Sounds like good advice to me so I stopped.
Lesliec1

Postby Katydid » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:38 am

I take a good quality (yes, they are expensive) probiotic after I have to take a series of antibiotics. Because of a long standing issues with my lungs, I am prone to bronchitis (I get vaccinated for pneumonia and the flu, but upper respiratory infections are a real problem for me). So when the antibiotics destroy my microbiome, I buy probiotics to restore it and take them until the bottle is finished. After that, I don't bother. I do make my own yogurt, but only because I like it, and its super easy in the Instant Pot.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby patty » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:35 am

Anja cooking with plants site has a great video where she makes yogurt with tofu and the top/ stem of chili peppers the bacteria acts as the probiotics. https://cookingwithplants.com/?s=soy+yogurt&lang=en It is really easy to make and there is no sterilizing/warming. In the islands the small chili peppers are easy to grow. I just purchased some from the market. And because I am used to the sterilizing/warming I added that process. It turned out really great. I have a feeling because she adds lemon juice it helps set it up. Next time I will omitt the cooking/warming process. If making dairy, the whole sterilizing process is important. Because it is soy/plant based and the addition of commercial probiotics it is still a good idea. The tofu/lemon/soy milk/water and chili peppers without sterilizing/warming would be is so easy. The greatest part of this WOE, is the education how to assist our body in it's desire to heal and remain healthy.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:53 am

Katydid wrote:I take a good quality (yes, they are expensive) probiotic after I have to take a series of antibiotics. Because of a long standing issues with my lungs, I am prone to bronchitis (I get vaccinated for pneumonia and the flu, but upper respiratory infections are a real problem for me). So when the antibiotics destroy my microbiome, I buy probiotics to restore it and take them until the bottle is finished. After that, I don't bother. I do make my own yogurt, but only because I like it, and its super easy in the Instant Pot.
Kate

What recipe do you use?
Lesliec1

Postby JuicerJohn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:12 am

No matter what diet a person is on, I believe that we all need probiotics for proper gut health. And the best probiotics don't come in a bottle, they come out of your garden or the produce section of your grocery store.

I am talking about fermented vegetables, and they are cheap, easy, and fun to make. I have been making red cabbage sauerkraut, and loving it!

If you have ever had grocery store sauerkraut and not cared for it, which is nothing more than cabbage boiled in vinegar and canned, this is not even similar. In fact, it is delicious!

Look up on YouTube fermented sauerkraut or fermented vegetables, and look up the benefits as well.

I can't wait to make my next batch, but I think I will try carrots this time.

Enjoy!
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby patty » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:44 am

JuicerJohn wrote:No matter what diet a person is on, I believe that we all need probiotics for proper gut health. And the best probiotics don't come in a bottle, they come out of your garden or the produce section of your grocery store.

I am talking about fermented vegetables, and they are cheap, easy, and fun to make. I have been making red cabbage sauerkraut, and loving it!

If you have ever had grocery store sauerkraut and not cared for it, which is nothing more than cabbage boiled in vinegar and canned, this is not even similar. In fact, it is delicious!

Look up on YouTube fermented sauerkraut or fermented vegetables, and look up the benefits as well.

I can't wait to make my next batch, but I think I will try carrots this time.

Enjoy!

What recipe do you use. I found this site for making Sauerkraut in a Mason Jar: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-ho ... jar-193124 The ingredients are cabbage/salt and caraway seeds.

I was sharing with a friend about using the stem of the Hawaiian chili peppers for the probiotic for soy yogurt.

They planted some bushes... the plants are thriving.. they will turn red soon..

Yesterday I made Anja's Cooking with Plants https://cookingwithplants.com/recipe/so ... -dairy/Soy Soy Yogurt recipe with the stems of ripen Hawaiian Chilis:

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby JuicerJohn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:33 pm

So far I have made only 2 batches.

For the first I used 4 lb of red cabbage, 2 T + 1 t of sea salt, and about 1/4 lb of baby carrots which I had left over.

I cored and chopped the cabbage thin, put it into a large bowl and sprinkled salt onto it by layers. Then I briefly mixed the salt into the cabbage so every piece had a little salt on it. By now the cabbage is getting wet from the salt drawing out the water. Let sit for 30 minutes, then massaged and squeezed vigorously for 10 minutes. At this point I cut the baby carrots into thin spears and added to the cabbage.

Then, I put the cabbage into 2 wide mouth 1 quart mason jars, Pressing it down firmly to make sure that all of the air pockets are squeezed and to make sure that the cabbage is all below the brine. Sealed the jars tightly with standard mason jar 2 piece canning lids.

I burped the jars each day for 8 days, and then refrigerated. Refrigerated, the kraut will continue to ferment and age, but very slowly. It seems that the longer you leave it, the better it gets.

This weekend I started a second batch, this on 1 quart, and 2 lbs of cabbage, salt and 2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped. This jar I plan to fermnt for 2 weeks before opening and refrigerating.

If you are interested in a ton of recipes for kraut and other veggies, check out the YouTube videos, just search for fermented vegetables. I have gotten enough ideas already to last me at least a year!
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby patty » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:01 pm

JuicerJohn wrote:So far I have made only 2 batches.

For the first I used 4 lb of red cabbage, 2 T + 1 t of sea salt, and about 1/4 lb of baby carrots which I had left over.

I cored and chopped the cabbage thin, put it into a large bowl and sprinkled salt onto it by layers. Then I briefly mixed the salt into the cabbage so every piece had a little salt on it. By now the cabbage is getting wet from the salt drawing out the water. Let sit for 30 minutes, then massaged and squeezed vigorously for 10 minutes. At this point I cut the baby carrots into thin spears and added to the cabbage.

Then, I put the cabbage into 2 wide mouth 1 quart mason jars, Pressing it down firmly to make sure that all of the air pockets are squeezed and to make sure that the cabbage is all below the brine. Sealed the jars tightly with standard mason jar 2 piece canning lids.

I burped the jars each day for 8 days, and then refrigerated. Refrigerated, the kraut will continue to ferment and age, but very slowly. It seems that the longer you leave it, the better it gets.

This weekend I started a second batch, this on 1 quart, and 2 lbs of cabbage, salt and 2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped. This jar I plan to fermnt for 2 weeks before opening and refrigerating.

If you are interested in a ton of recipes for kraut and other veggies, check out the YouTube videos, just search for fermented vegetables. I have gotten enough ideas already to last me at least a year!

Mahalo... I will try your recipe.. and continue to search as suggested.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby jay kaye » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:41 pm

Dr. McDougall writes: "Manipulating Our Microflora with Probiotic Supplements

Purposefully adding particular species of bacteria has the potential of rebalancing the intestines and thereby improving a person’s health. Probiotics are used for this purpose and are sold as foods and pills (supplements) that contain millions of friendly bacteria, and sometimes yeast. Probiotics can be purchased in the natural food stores – they are usually found in the refrigerated section; some are labeled as “newborn formulas” and others are sold for improving the flora of a child or adult. Probiotics have no toxic effects. Scientific research has discovered specific species of bacteria must be used in order to achieve specific benefits when treating health problems."

Who Should Alter Their Gut Bacteria?

Everyone should encourage the growth of a healthy microflora by eating the right foods, and avoiding antibiotics, whenever possible. This means a “breast milk diet” for infants and a healthy pure vegetarian diet (like the McDougall diet) for children and adults. Newborns, delivered by cesarean section, and bottle-fed babies may benefit from probiotics specifically designed for infant use. Probiotics may be warranted after a course of prescribed antibiotics in order to help reestablish a healthy gut flora. Lastly, if, after doing all you can for yourself with a healthy diet and lifestyle, you still suffer from unresolved problems, such as irregular bowel movements, indigestion, elevated cholesterol, or arthritis, then you may want to try enhancing the activity of your microflora with these kinds of supplements. You have little to lose – there are no undesirable side effects and the costs are minimal. You have everything to gain with the probability of improved health thanks to your always working factory of “friendly” microflora.

Read the full article here: Beneficial Bowel Bacteria – Our Neglected Friends

j
jay kaye

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:57 pm

I remember a recent webinar where Dr Mcdougall says he no longer recommends probiotic supplements altho he thinks they are harmless and he does not believe that they cure any disease.
colonyofcells

Postby JuicerJohn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:17 pm

There are thousands of different probiotic rich fermented vegetable recipes on YouTube and thousands more that can be googled. There are dozens of doctors who recommend these recipes for a number of health issues.

Amid all of that, I am very surprised to hear Dr. McDougall recommending a supplement solution while completely ignoring the whole food solution.

What's up with that?
JuicerJohn

Postby Timaca » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Probiotics really helped me. I was having significant intestinal pain and the Jarrow brand probiotic Ideal Bowel Support helped me a LOT. The pain is essentially gone. I feel twinges now and then but it is gone. I did not try fermented vegies. I was kinda afraid to due to histamine intolerance issues.

I also had heartburn pretty constantly despite not eating trigger foods and not being overweight. The Jarro-Dolphilus for babies has helped that quite a bit.

Finally the Jarrow Brand FemDolphilus took away the bloat I was having. It also helped the heartburn a bit more.

So, yes, I take probiotics. Right now 3 of them. And at the moment, I don't want to stop taking any of them!!! I was very, very uncomfortable without them. Perhaps, after a few months, I may stop one at a time and see what happens, but right now I am enjoying having minimal GI issues!!

Best,
Timaca

Next

Return to The Lounge