Relatives, social events, bookstores

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Relatives, social events, bookstores

Postby jewagar » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:58 pm

deleted
Last edited by jewagar on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jewagar

Re: Relatives, social events, bookstores

Postby bbq » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:18 pm

The Only Diet Proven to Reduce Heart Disease Is...
http://youtu.be/sR4XSfJ1vBs

Since that's #1 killer in United States, why would we even bother with anything else? And then we've got the yardstick in Loma Linda, CA so let's check it out together:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-okinawa-diet-living-to-100/

BTW, it's always a great idea to watch Dr. Lisle's lectures such as Getting Along Without Going Along when we're facing social disapproval as well as situational inconvenience etc.

http://esteemdynamics.org/video/
bbq

Postby vgpedlr » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:28 pm

bbq wrote:The Only Diet Proven to Reduce Heart Disease Is...
http://youtu.be/sR4XSfJ1vBs

Since that's #1 killer in United States, why would we even bother with anything else? And then we've got the yardstick in Loma Linda, CA so let's check it out together:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-okinawa-diet-living-to-100/

BTW, it's always a great idea to watch Dr. Lisle's lectures such as Getting Along Without Going Along when we're facing social disapproval as well as situational inconvenience etc.

http://esteemdynamics.org/video/

^ This.

Plus, I find it helpful to review my own personal reasons when the paleo punditry gets me down. In my athletic circles I'm bombarded by opposite advice by people much faster than me. I have to periodically remind myself that it wasn't until I changed my diet that I could even participate in the races I do, even though I'm at the back of the pack. I also review the larger ethical picture and helps motivate me. You may have different reasons, but whatever is meaningful can help motivate if you take a moment to reflect.
vgpedlr

Postby jewagar » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:09 pm

Thank you for the helpful links, BBQ. The statistics on the Okinawans were compelling. I am in the process of watching the Doug Lisle video. Thank you again!

Vegpdlr, I appreciate your sharing how the WFPB WOE has helped improve your athletic endeavors and health in general. Hearing how this WOE has improved people's health or performance is what helps me hang in there. I've been backsliding, gaining weight, but when I have been true to this WOE, I have felt and looked better too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
"If you want peace, be sure everyone's dignity is intact." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu
jewagar

Postby Ern2Win » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:52 pm

Yes, it is lonely making our way in a world that doesn't want to see or hear.

Vgpedlr is quite right. It is important to review periodically how you got here. What convinced you to go down this path in the first place? For me, it was "The China Study". If you don't have a copy, get one and read it...either for the first time or again whatever the case may be. Read "Proteinaholic" by Dr. Garth Davis. Read "How Not to Die" by Dr. Michael Greger.

Of course, continue to visit this website and board. Subscribe to the McDougall newsletter. It boggles my mind that Dr. McDougall got this all right over 35 years ago. And he did it by following the science and pioneers (Kempner, Swank, Pritikin) available at the time. As time goes on, additional science comes along to confirm what Dr. McDougall has been saying throughout the years. And, of course, Dr. McDougall keeps abreast of the latest science, which has yet to significantly alter the McDougall program.

Although there seems to be a lot of varying opinions about Nutritionfacts.org, I find subscribing to Dr. Greger's videos an important confirming and reinforcing system for myself. Interesting that he gets exactly to the same place as Dr. T. Colin Campbell, but by a completely different route and method. Dr. Campbell doesn't subscribe to reductionist methods or studies. But, never the less, Dr. Greger comes to the same conclusions about the optimal diet humans should eat by following all the science, both studies and epidemiology.

Do you Twitter? Get on and follow the leaders in plant-based eating. Dr. McDougall, Jeff Novick, Dr. Neal Barnard (PCRM), Dr. Garth Davis, Dr. Michael Greger, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Dean Ornish, Rich Roll, Julieanna Hever, Forks over Knives, Engine2Diet, Dr. Klapper, etc. You will be bombarded by constant reinforcement and science confirming this is "The Healthiest Diet on the Planet", Dr. McDougall's latest book.

With most of the outside world seemingly against us, ongoing confirmation we have chosen the correct path is a good thing!
Ern2Win

Postby LuckyMomma » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:07 am

Maybe meeting people who share this way of eating would help. Have you checked out meetup.com? Maybe there is somebody on this forum from your area. How about attending the advanced study weekend?

I read books, watch lots of video, check forums daily. What motivates me is my desire to have good health, be kind to animals, plus it's good for the environment. I feel so much better eating this way. Vegetarian Society of Hawaii has good monthly speakers posted on YouTube. Search VSHvIDEO.
LuckyMomma

Postby MINNIE » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 am

Can anyone offer some advice that would help light the fire and reassure me that this WOE is indeed the healthiest WOE?

Does this WOE work for you? How do you feel when you eat this way? If the results are positive, then you know it this is a healthy thing for you. If they are not positive, then maybe something else actually is better. It's always possible.

Only you can decide this -nobody else knows what you know about your own body.

Personally that is how I decided. I tried an oil-free plant-based with a specific goal in mind. It worked for me. The results were positive and dramatic.

So I don't really care what expert (real or self-appointed) says what, what books are written, or who (famous or not) made a video :) .

That's all interesting -or not - but the bottom line is what happened to me when I started to eat this way. I soon felt better, looked better, and became free of specific disease symptoms that nothing else had helped.

Therefore, by my experience of improved health, I know that this is definitely the healthiest way of eating for me.

But that's just my personal anecdote. Anecdotes aren't proof.

Only time and adherence will tell you if it is the best for you. If you give this a fair trial and don't like the results you can stop.

But I suggest you make it your decision,not someone else's.
Last edited by MINNIE on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MINNIE

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:59 am

I always try to make things I can/will be able to eat. This diet certainly works for me though I agree it can be very challenging socially at times! Usually I make things I would never make for myself at home because too caloric even though within the Starch Solution corral.

I bet that the Korean ribs (Kalbi would be excellent made with instead of ribs, tofu or tempe or sliced Portabella mushrooms (for very low calorie option). Marinate in same sauce, cook same way. Try at home and see how it tastes.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Had to look it up to find recipes for Kalbi and I think it would be quite wonderful on any of the carriers I mentioned above. Could also use whole Porta Bella caps like little steaks! A friend of mine who is an avid mushroom hunter refers to them as group as Earth Meat.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby jewagar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Geoffrey, trying kalbi seasonings on tempeh sound like a great idea! Will try that. THX!
"If you want peace, be sure everyone's dignity is intact." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu
jewagar

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:22 pm

jewagar wrote:Geoffrey, trying kalbi seasonings on tempeh sound like a great idea! Will try that. THX!

:D Get one Porta Bella and toss it in same mix either as one big slab or slices up. The texture is very meat like! I think both will be excellent. Let me know and I will come over ;)
GeoffreyLevens

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:51 pm

It is easy to doubt bec the mainstream tells people to avoid carb. The american government diet guide is unable to simply tell people to avoid refined substances, processed foods and animal products bec it is controlled by the processed food industry and animal products industries. All animal products are junk food bec they all have 0 fiber and almost no micronutrients and the only weakness of the vegan diet is vitamin b12. In brazil, the government was able to give simple to follow guidelines.
http://www.foodpolitics.com/2014/02/bra ... ood-based/
The guide’s three golden rules:
1 Make foods and freshly prepared dishes and meals the basis of your diet.
2 Be sure oils, fats, sugar and salt are used in moderation in culinary preparations.
3 Limit the intake of ready-to-consume products and avoid those that are ultra-processed.
China has told citizens to cut animal products by 50%.
colonyofcells

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:53 pm

I guess what I'm plugging into as I read the ideas above, is that there''s a sense of belonging that you might feel if you were to (try to) re-join the masses of deluded people who believe chicken breasts are health food, and believe Snickers pie is a great "reward" after a tough day.

In reality, you can probably never un-know what you already know. Dead animal with some seasonings is still a horrible act of violence. If you are that kinda person who wants to sit around a table and act genteel while putting chicken carcass into your pie hole, hey, no one can stop you, but for someone who already "gets it", that just seems like an act of foolishness.

There are lots of other horrible things you could do instead, if you like to feel a sense of belonging in mainstream America! You could:
1. Consume as many material goods as possible -- use lots of cheap, disposable razors; eat off of paper plates, and drink out of styrofoam cups; replace things often, just because you feel like it. Buy stuff with lots of packaging.
2. Leave the heaviest carbon footprint imaginable -- drive around for the heck of it. Go places you don't need to go. Travel by plane, train or automobile, so long as you can participate in the ritual slaying of planet earth.
3. Look down on people for the fun of it, because that's our national pastime. Find lots of scapegoated groups, and think of why you and your peers are better than they are.

Great sense of belonging to be had, without even eating any fatty, salty, sugary foods.

I'm kinda joking, of course. I mean, I DO think it's about sense of belonging. But I can't even imagine wanting to have a sense of belonging with people who are less evolved on things like nutrition, kindness, environmentalism, etc.

This whole post is (obviously) loaded with my personal values, and as these are "personal" values, certainly no one shares my exact perspective, which is fine! No one has to agree with me. :)

EDITED TO ADD:
I have a quirky sense of humor! Everything I say is kinda off the cuff, and yeah, a little sarcastic, but please everyone, know that I want everyone to feel happy and confident about what they're doing. It's not a competition!
roundcoconut

Return to The Lounge