'The fat you eat is NOT the fat you wear'- response?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

'The fat you eat is NOT the fat you wear'- response?

Postby lilypad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:08 am

I've been watching this video from a plant based nutritionist, claiming that 'good fats' aid weight loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK4dlsesJww

All I know is, that for me, if I start to eat nuts, avocados etc I gain weight, or level out. I'd rather eat a big bowl of potatoes or rice for the same amount of calories. I don't find 'good fats' as satiating as starches.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by lilypad on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
lilypad

Re: 'The fat you eat is the fat you wear'?

Postby Ltldogg » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:14 am

Hi lilypad,

Here are what the local experts say:

Dr. Mcdougall:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2013nl/jul/one.htm

Jeff Novick:
http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... e_Fat.html
http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/E ... ition.html

I Hope you find this helpful!

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Re: 'The fat you eat is the fat you wear'?

Postby lilypad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:22 am

Thanks!
I remember what Dr McDougall said in the Starch Solution about avocados being in season. I just don't believe we are built to eat an a avocado every day?!

Well, sticking to a lot fat, high starch diet has made me the most healthy I've ever been, plus a lot of weight loss. I think if I began to add fats, that would be a slippery slope and I'd start to binge out.
lilypad

Re: 'The fat you eat is NOT the fat you wear'- response?

Postby arugula » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:46 am

i doubt any registered dietitian would refer to himself as "healthy crazy cool."
arugula

Postby MINNIE » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:57 am

All I know is, that for me, if I start to eat nuts, avocados etc I gain weight, or level out. I'd rather eat a big bowl of potatoes or rice for the same amount of calories. I don't find 'good fats' as satiating as starches.

Your thoughts?

My thought is: if an expert, or self-proclaimed "expert", says one thing and your experience tells you something different, then they are wrong and you are right.

You already know what will make you gain weight and what won't, so anyone else's opinion is just that:)
MINNIE

Postby Dougalling » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:58 am

Has anyone ever seen a slim registered dietitian?
Over the years, I've seen many presentations by registered dietitians.
I've yet to see one who was not overweight.
Dougalling

Postby JeffN » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:28 am

Dougalling wrote:Has anyone ever seen a slim registered dietitian?Over the years, I've seen many presentations by registered dietitians. I've yet to see one who was not overweight.

Yes. :)

Many.

And not all slim ones are WFPB/Vegan and some of the ones who are WFPB/Vegan are not slim.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby lilypad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:30 am

MINNIE wrote:

Your thoughts?

My thought is: if an expert, or self-proclaimed "expert", says one thing and your experience tells you something different, then they are wrong and you are right.

You already know what will make you gain weight and what won't, so anyone else's opinion is just that:)

Also, no offence. Some of these 'raw vegans' who eat a lot of fruit and nuts seem to be overweight? No judgment here, as I'm losing weight myself. But just pointing out a fact.
And a lot of these 'higher fat' vegans are young! When I was their age I could eat whatever I wanted, but as I've got older I just can't eat what I used to.
lilypad

Postby Katydid » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:07 pm

The "fat you eat is the fat you wear" is a literal statement. The body doesn't so much digest fat as store it. You eat 100 calories of fat (above your immediate metabolic needs) and 97 calories will end up stored. If you take a needle and pull the fat out of your butt and have it analyzed, the chemist can tell you where that fat came from based on the fatty acid ratios present. Lard, tallow, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. all have "fingerprints" based on which fatty acids are present and how much of each. I actually used to do this in an industrial (not medical) lab. The fat you eat IS the fat you wear. :lol:
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby wyfbaby » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Katydid wrote:The "fat you eat is the fat you wear" is a literal statement. The body doesn't so much digest fat as store it. You eat 100 calories of fat (above your immediate metabolic needs) and 97 calories will end up stored. If you take a needle and pull the fat out of your butt and have it analyzed, the chemist can tell you where that fat came from based on the fatty acid ratios present. Lard, tallow, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. all have "fingerprints" based on which fatty acids are present and how much of each. I actually used to do this in an industrial (not medical) lab. The fat you eat IS the fat you wear. :lol:
Kate

I have a question. What happens when you eat an extra 100 calories of carbohydrates? (above your caloric need)
wyfbaby

Postby Golden Ghost » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:18 pm

I eat an avocado every day and and a PBJ also. High starch and high fat diet. Low protein though. No fat on me and cholesterol of 52 HDL, 141 total and 72 LDL. 37 triglycerides. I do not where the fat I eat. I for got the nuts I eat every day!
Golden Ghost

Postby lilypad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:53 pm

This nutritionist seems to coach people who've had anorexia. So he's probably all about helping people with eating disorders get over their fear of fat and putting on weight. Maybe that's why he's so pro 'good fats'. He also advocates eating a lot of fruit.

Whereas Dr McDougall is all about helping people who are physically unwell. I'm gonna stick with Dr McDougall.

Plus, Dr McDougall's diet is way more economical.
lilypad

Postby veg tom » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:06 pm

We don't have a eating disorder do we. Hello I'm just trying to be funny.
A is A
veg tom

Postby Grammy Ginger » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:19 pm

wyfbaby wrote:
Katydid wrote:The "fat you eat is the fat you wear" is a literal statement. The body doesn't so much digest fat as store it. You eat 100 calories of fat (above your immediate metabolic needs) and 97 calories will end up stored. If you take a needle and pull the fat out of your butt and have it analyzed, the chemist can tell you where that fat came from based on the fatty acid ratios present. Lard, tallow, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. all have "fingerprints" based on which fatty acids are present and how much of each. I actually used to do this in an industrial (not medical) lab. The fat you eat IS the fat you wear. :lol:
Kate

I have a question. What happens when you eat an extra 100 calories of carbohydrates? (above your caloric need)

I don't limit calories anymore. I eat until I'm full and avoid all oil, nuts, seeds, and avocado (and of course animal products). For the last few months, I've steadily lost weight. Before that I was lax with the fat and obsessive about calorie count. I steadily gained weight.

That's my experience. Others may have different results. I prefer full and relaxed over hungry and food obsessed.
Grammy Ginger

Postby arugula » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:18 pm

tangential to katydid's post.

kempner would analyze his patients' urine and could tell by the metabolites when they had been cheating.

then the cheating patient would present him with a riding crop so they he could whip them into compliance.

and yes, there were lawsuits. that sort of thing would not go over well today, but still i think that many people could benefit from having a new kempner in their lives.
arugula

Next

Return to The Lounge