Funny Neighbors at Wanderlust

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Funny Neighbors at Wanderlust

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:55 pm

The Wanderlust Yoga Festival coincided with a big bike race in North Lake Tahoe his past weekend, so when I was finished hammering myself for 8 hrs on the bike I relocated.

What a culture shock! From dirtbag XC MTB racers, to shiny, happy people. From hours of lactic acid and dust to peace love and understanding.

Where else can you attend dharma talks by a punk rocker?

Or take a yoga class with a rapper?

Out in the vendor area, right next to each other, were Dave Asprey's Bulletproof franchise with Bulletproof Coffee samples, and Tofurkey.

It doesn't get much more polar opposite than that!
vgpedlr

Re: Funny Neighbors at Wanderlust

Postby arugula » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:36 pm

i would not enjoy having dave asprey as a neighbor, even a temporary one at a festival.

blech.

i have zero tolerance for peddlers of nonsense. bulletproof coffee, my rear end.
arugula

Postby Skip » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:11 pm

vgpedlr wrote:What a culture shock! From dirtbag XC MTB racers, to shiny, happy people.

Why dirtbag?
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Skip wrote:
Why dirtbag?

If you'd seen us, you'd know.

Also funny at Wanderlust is all the superfood hype and hawkers. But, there was some actually good vegan food there. On the downside, the accompanying magazine has an article on some CA "sustainable" meat company. Which of course ignores that for 6 billion humans, there is no such thing. Not to mention completely ignoring one of the core concepts of yoga, ahimsa, or non-harming. People love to hear good news about their bad habits.
vgpedlr

Postby -mermaid- » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:38 pm

What is bulletproof coffee??
-mermaid-

Postby olindaspider » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:18 pm

-mermaid- wrote:What is bulletproof coffee??

Couldn't resist: Bulletproof coffee
olindaspider

Postby arugula » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:52 pm

olindaspider wrote:
-mermaid- wrote:What is bulletproof coffee??

Couldn't resist: Bulletproof coffee

too much work to wait for everything to load and read all the links (i have a very slow internet connection).

basically it's cheap coffee (arabica) with a bunch of butter and coconut oil dumped in--at least 2 tbsp per cup. this horrible man is making up a bunch of horrible stuff and people believe him! it's incredible.

makes me wonder if i should come up with nonsense just to see how many people will believe it. but i would want them to eat only plants. and i would find it morally abhorrent to suggest that people eat things that will more than likely shorten their lifespans, even if they are only plants.

he's getting rich and famous from this damaging nonsense, too.

sometimes life is stranger than fiction.
arugula

Postby -mermaid- » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:50 am

O.M.G.

That is disgusting. :\
-mermaid-

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:57 am

Bulletproof coffee has been discussed numerous times.

arugula wrote:basically it's cheap coffee (arabica)

Nope, it's expensive coffee specially handled to be guaranteed free of all mycotoxins commonly found in coffee. No kryptonite, that's a Dave Asprey expression.
with a bunch of butter and coconut oil dumped in

Remember, that butter MUST be grass fed, otherwise it won't work. Locally sourced is best, but Kerryogold at the least. Coconut oil is far inferior, because the real magic is in the MCTs found in coconut, so MCT oil is used. And to get it right, not just any old health food store brand, but Asprey's special Bulletproof brand.

Google it and find the many testimonials people have about how it has changed their lives.

I've been around yoga and related practices for 30+ yrs, but this the first large festival I've been to in many years. Wow, have times changed. Patanjali must be turning circles in his grave. Except that he was probably cremated.
vgpedlr

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:29 am

Wanderlust! It's on my bucket list of festivals. I love the festival vibe.

My important questions for you are:
1. Did you see Michael Franti? https://youtu.be/1XEOVl875d0
2. Did you see Rising Appalachia? https://youtu.be/0NhXElzlrvk
3. Did you see Xavier Rudd? https://youtu.be/0E1bNmyPWww
4. What was your favorite music set?
5. What was your favorite workshop?
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:08 am

WyldMoonWoman wrote:Wanderlust! It's on my bucket list of festivals. I love the festival vibe.

My important questions for you are:
1. Did you see Michael Franti? https://youtu.be/1XEOVl875d0
2. Did you see Rising Appalachia? https://youtu.be/0NhXElzlrvk
3. Did you see Xavier Rudd? https://youtu.be/0E1bNmyPWww
4. What was your favorite music set?
5. What was your favorite workshop?

I didn't see much. I was only there on Sun. I had a 100K MTB race nearby on Sat. that consumed me.

I attended two teachings by punk rocker turned Buddhist teacher Noah Levine. I'm of a similar age, so some of his punk rock references that are lost on others, I responded to. I attended a yoga class by MC Yogi, a rapper turned yogi. He and his wife have a yoga studio near Point Reyes.

I didn't see any big musical acts, but I did catch the short pool party set by Sol Rising, which was good. He was who I wanted to see. MC Yogi's class included a short performance and music throughout by DJ Drez. It was . . . different.

The commercial aspects were a little unsettling, but I did score a new mat that packs really small. I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to yoga, so the vibe was a little weird. Also really different from endurance racing, where my head has been.
vgpedlr

Return to The Lounge