Instant Pot

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Instant Pot

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:56 am

VeggieSue

Postby Timaca » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:25 am

Great price!! But it now if you don't have one and have been thinking about it! :D
Timaca

Postby roundcoconut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:42 am

Timaca wrote:Great price!! But it now if you don't have one and have been thinking about it! :D

I know! I am going to take the leap, providing I manage to find someone with an Amazon Prime account to use their account on my behalf. Wish me luck!

I will just be so magical, and the food will cook itself, while I frolic in the yard!

In a week, I will be making Chef AJ's Nutrient Rich Black Bean Soup, and the universe will be my oyster. :)

EDITED TO ADD: I did it! Got it, and it's being sent to me. :)
roundcoconut

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 am

I think you can try Prime for free, make the order, then cancel your prime membership.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby roundcoconut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:52 am

Werner1950 wrote:I think you can try Prime for free, make the order, then cancel your prime membership.

Oh! Is THAT how that works!

Well, all's well that ends well. I hope I like my IP as much as everyone else does!
roundcoconut

Postby Vegankit » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:25 am

Thanks for posting, I was waiting till it came on sale to buy one for my daughter and I'm debating as to whether I need a second one or not.

I'm not big on lots of appliances, I prefer to keep it simple, but I'm amazed at how often I use my InstantPot and how versatile and useful it is.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby patty » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:57 am

When I remolded my condo to age in place in my kitchen I took out my stove to make more counter space. In working as a home health aide, I don't know how many stoves i have seen unplugged because of the fear of being left on. I learned quickly to love working with appliances with timers. And I love my Cuisinart Pressure Cooker though I was envious of the IP, as it has the steel insert and you are able to make yogurt. I found a 3Squares for 30 dollars at Costco to make yogurt which works out great as it takes 12 hours. It has all the different settings it is just it is not a pressure cooker but a lot smaller.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby MINNIE » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:21 am

I use the "bean/chili" setting to cook my blue hominy. 35 minutes if I remember to soak it, 45 minutes if I don't.

Kate

Thank you Kate. I cooked the corn together with some pinto beans- it worked :). Just one more reason to love the Instant Pot !
MINNIE

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:12 pm

roundcoconut wrote:In a week, I will be making Chef AJ's Nutrient Rich Black Bean Soup, and the universe will be my oyster. :)

Boy, I'm almost sorry to tell you this - That soup is made in a BIG pot on the stove, not in an Instant Pot:

http://foodytv.com/recipe/nutrient-rich-smokey-black-bean-soup/

It makes way too much to fit in even the 8 quart Instant Pot.

You can see her make it in this VSH video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9FGtbkQ0v4

It's the first recipe, starting at the 3:30 mark.
VeggieSue

Postby Risto » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:36 pm

patty wrote:I found a 3Squares for 30 dollars at Costco to make yogurt which works out great as it takes 12 hours.

I take it there are no cows involved? Could you point to a recipe?
Risto

Postby Timaca » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:39 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
roundcoconut wrote:In a week, I will be making Chef AJ's Nutrient Rich Black Bean Soup, and the universe will be my oyster. :)

Boy, I'm almost sorry to tell you this - That soup is made in a BIG pot on the stove, not in an Instant Pot:

Recipes can always be adapted to work in a slow cooker or Instant Pot. If the recipe is too large for the IP, cut it in half or thirds. Once you know how to cook beans in the IP, throwing in the rest of ingredients for a soup is pretty easy. ;)
Timaca

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:12 pm

VeggieSue wrote:

You could probably scale down that recipe. I think 1/3 the ingredients would fit in my IP. Mine has a 10-cup line and another max fill line above that. I mostly use mine to cook beans. One of these days I'll try the congee setting.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby BroccoliForever » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:49 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote: One of these days I'll try the congee setting.

Last week I tried the congee setting using 1/4 cup steel cut oats and 3 cups water. I cooked it for 20 minutes because I hadn't soaked the oats overnight. I think regular oats would be fine in the auto time set of 10 minutes. I like oat congee better than rice. It was actually really fantastic. I skimmed just the most watery top off and it made a great morning hot beverage. I know oats in the IP can be dicey because they foam, but I used so little that it wasn't a problem. It had come down in pressure quite a bit by the time I started to open the lid.
BroccoliForever

Postby roundcoconut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:12 pm

VeggieSue wrote:

Yay!! Thanks for that link; I'm going to watch.

I've been watching some of her paid content webinars (her Cooking Parties, as she calls them!), and I'm somehow led to believe that her cooking party #4 has the InstantPot version of her nutrient-rich black bean soup? But I will watch both videos -- the Cooking Party one and the link you posted.

I might be hallucinating, but I almost want to say that I heard her mention that she''ll have the InstantPot version of NRBB soup in her upcoming book? I might be wrong, but I feel like I've heard that. In any event, I'll be making SOME lovely creation or other in the InstantPot in a week!

I guess I'd better start making friends quickly, because those recipes ARE awfully big. I will have to get crafty and just bring people soup, and hand it off to them with a smile, so that they would feel HORRIBLE if they refused to accept it. I'll buy some Tupperware containers!
roundcoconut

Postby patty » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Risto wrote:
patty wrote:I found a 3Squares for 30 dollars at Costco to make yogurt which works out great as it takes 12 hours.

I take it there are no cows involved? Could you point to a recipe?

Yes, no cows:) EdenSoy Unsweetened works well with a starter from a soy yogurt. I looked up the manual for the IP and it is a little different than the 3Square I have. The manual explains to boil the containers with the soymilk to 180 degrees and when it cools to 115 to add the starter. Then heat 8 to 12 hours (well I keep heated to 12 hours). The 3square beeps when the containers are at 180 and then you are instructed to allow them to cool, when at 115 it beeps for you to add the starter, then you set the timer. With the IP I am not sure if you need something to test the temperature.

What I do is take a spoonful of soymilk from each one of the jars, mix the starter in the combined soymilk, then put back into jars and stir. I now use Gi ProStart and have a soymilk maker. After making the yogurt, there is a simple process to make soy cheese. I use a sprouting containers, where one has holes in the bottom for the whey to drain. I place a nylon bag with small holes (paint bag), inside the sprout container, let it drain 12 to 24 hours. You can do a search and get some ideas. The soymilk cheese is really tasty, with basil and other herbs. Even though vegan plant milk sterilizing isn't a issue it is a good practice... just to be safe.

LINK to IP Manuel: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/791355 ... =16#manual

Hope this helps, patty
Last edited by patty on Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
patty

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge