Instant Pot

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Instant Pot

Postby Vegankit » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Timaca wrote:I am NOT a fan of oat juice! Or any other kind of food juice spewing out of my IP! ;-)

Lima beans and split peas don't work well in my IP (cooking wise) unless I use 2 tsp oil (not McDougall compliant..but it is what it is). They foam up too much and spew out the top too. So, I either use my crock pot (which I do most often for Lima beans) or I use the 2 teaspoons of oil when I cook the split peas (as they often don't soften in the crock pot). I don't know if it my elevation (7000 feet) or what but....I have that problem....

Best,
Timaca I have cooked split peas many times in my IntantPot (IP) without any oil and without any problems. I do see lots of foam when I cook split peas in a pot on the stove at the beginning of cooking. I know they do foam but it settles down within 15 minutes of cooking and goes into solution in the cooking water. I presume the same action is occurring in my IP. I agree with Katydid, you must let the pressure slowly release on its own. Do not use the quick release or you will spew foam. No matter what I have cooked, I've always allows the pressure to release on it's own before opening and my lid has always appeared spotless and I don't see any foam on top of my food.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Timaca » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:27 pm

The foam happens with the Lima beans and split peas as it is coming to pressure...at the beginning of the cooking time.... and it spews out and is a mess. I've cleaned up several of theses messes..... not fun. :( So now I cook the lima beans in the crock pot and use 2 teaspoons of oil with the split peas. No more mess.....
Timaca

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:39 pm

Timaca, for what it's worth, I''m at 7,600 feet elevation, and have cooked lentils and split peas three or four times each -- no foaming issues. I'm generally impatient, so I have always used the quick release.

Do you think the problem is with the machine itself? I don't know what it does to create a seal, but it doesn't sound like that seal is happening adequately, if there is foam. Of course, I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about, but I just think you and I should be having similar experiences at similar elevation.

Does it foam for you even if you cook smaller amounts? I don't handle leftovers very well (this is putting it mildly!), so I have a random small mug in which I measure one portion of split peas, or lentils, or rice before cooking. I haven't tried cooking four times that amount, so I can't swear to you that I would be foam-free in all cases.

Those are my thoughts! Maybe you can call the company? Someone here posted that they are excellent to deal with, and really stand behind their product, replacing it if necessary. And since it's a shame to pointlessly add oil to your meals, when others don't have to, perhaps you could see if they would let you replace yours with a new one? This sounds crazy, but y'know, if you don't ask, you don't get. :)
roundcoconut

Postby pundit999 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:19 am

Hmm. We cook all kinds of beans and grains in the Instant Pot almost daily. We never have issues with foaming.

May be your pot is defective?
pundit999

Postby Timaca » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:25 am

roundcoconut~ Where do you live? (If you don't mind sharing, that's fine :) ). I am in Flagstaff, AZ. :)

I tend to soak and cook lentils on the stove because they cook so quickly that way....and they do foam on me on the stove, at least the red lentils do. :)

Hmmm.....well, maybe when I am home I will retry those items in the IP again. And yes, they have foamed with smaller amounts.....Right now I'm traveling (with my IP of course) and am cooking sweet potatoes in it. I cooked rice in it last night. :-D It's always a bit of a guessing game for me how much time to cook things at a lower elevation..... so we'll see if the sweet potatoes were cooked for long enough. But I do love my IP! I can't eat most grains so it's nice to have it to cook some starches while I travel! :-D

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!
Timaca

Postby roundcoconut » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:28 am

Timaca, I'm just one state east of you, in Northern NM (outside of Taos).

Cooking beans at altitude, one state away! :)
roundcoconut

Postby roundcoconut » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:22 am

On another note, since I just got my InstantPot a week ago, I have to confess that I was shocked and horrified at how effing heavy it is! I can understand loving my InstantPot so much that I would want to travel with it, but the idea of putting it in my carry-on and going from Gate A-13 to Gate D-2 seemed like quite a workout!

My zojirushi rice cooker is light as a feather and maybe I'd be inclined to take it with me on a weekend getaway instead.

But back to people who cook at elevation, is there literally no one who eats this way in Southern CO or Northern NM??? Timaca, you and I are, what, 7 hours away from one another? Which would still only make a get-together of 2 people total.

It is weird to think that we are THAT rare!
roundcoconut

Postby Timaca » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:34 pm

roundcoconut wrote:Timaca, I'm just one state east of you, in Northern NM (outside of Taos).

Cooking beans at altitude, one state away! :)

That's awesome that you are one state east of me! When our winter storms come through our town, I'll think of you for they will be hitting you next! ;-)

I'm on a road trip....so it is decently easy to bring the IP with me. I don't fly with it for as you noted it is heavy and bulky. I try to stay in places that have at least a microwave and a fridge. Right now we have a place with a decent kitchen so that makes life a bit easier. Since I don't eat wheat, corn, soy and nuts (among other foods) it is really nice to have the IP and some kind of kitchen when traveling!!!

:)
Timaca

Postby Plumerias » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:03 am

We got ours recently and are working on learning to use it. The other day we did a pound bag of cranberry (borlotti) beans, soaked overnight. The chart on the inside cover of Lorna Sass' book says 5-8 minutes. We set it for five, and let it come down from pressure naturally at the end. They were overcooked, but still usable. The next time we did Colorado River beans, soaked overnight. As it's a rather small bean, we chose one minute, and did a quick release. They weren't done, so another minute was added, followed by another quick release. They were just right. So how do you know which to do? If you're letting it come down from pressure naturally, how do you adjust the cooking times to compensate for the carryover cooking that occurs in the interim? When do you remove the pot from the appliance, getting it away from the heating element, which stays hot for quite some time? And for what it's worth, a wet dishtowel placed on the top of the appliance did contain all the splutter acceptably well with the quick release.
Plumerias

Postby Timaca » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:21 am

For cooking times with different bean types, it is trial and error, and taking notes of various times that work for that bean type. I haven't done quick release with beans.

I have never heard of Colorado River beans! Where did you find those?

Best,
Timaca

Postby Plumerias » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:31 am

Okay, thank you. I have already started a list of beans, cooking times, results, etc.
Um, well, we travel all over the country in the RV, which is our home. I have a bad habit I call "the I wants", meaning if it's something different, I buy it. The bag of Colorado River beans had an old date on it, indicating that I bought them in Denver some time ago. Probably at Whole Foods, as I don't recall there being a co-op there. They're really pretty.
Plumerias

Postby patty » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:46 am

For pressure cooking times I use The Ultimate Pressure Cooker Cooking chart: https://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers ... cooker.php

Yesterday I cooked soaked kidney beans slow release for 8 minutes... turned out great.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby candygill » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:24 pm

I love my Instant Pots. I have two of them. I use them everyday.
Steel cut oats, soups, potatoes, vegetables, beans, ......on and on.
There are loads of excellent recipes that can be made in instant pot and that fit this way of eating.
Many have mentioned chef A.J.
Others are Jill Nussinow (who has cooked and demonstrated at McDougall's 10 day live in's and written two great cookbooks) and also Susan Voisin of www.fatfreevegan.com has great recipes on her website that work well in the instant pot.
It can function as a crock pot, pressure cooker (my favourite), rice cooker (Makes great rice), yogurt maker.
candygill

Postby MINNIE » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:38 pm

They were just right. So how do you know which to do? If you're letting it come down from pressure naturally, how do you adjust the cooking times to compensate for the carryover cooking that occurs in the interim? When do you remove the pot from the appliance, getting it away from the heating element, which stays hot for quite some time? And for what it's worth, a wet dishtowel placed on the top of the appliance did contain all the splutter acceptably well with the quick release.

I don't have experience cooking at high altitudes, but for most places there are standard times you can use. If you have the manual that comes with the IP, there are suggested cooking times for many foods, including lots of different kinds of dry beans. I have found them to be correct as a rule.

If you don't have the manual, they have the same info on their website, or you can call or email their customer service. They seem very helpful, in my experience.

I never had any problems with foaming etc., so I don't have any suggestions about that, except checking with the company to find out if it's caused by a defect. Also, you could check the valve to see if it is blocked.

Happy cooking!
MINNIE

Postby calvin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:05 pm

If I experienced foaming, which I have not, I would increase the ratio of water to food (e.g. beans). I find soy beans to be the most likely to foam, but just increase water if they do. Also I would avoid filling the pot more than two thirds full.
calvin

Previous

Return to The Lounge