Dr. Joel Fuhrman

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dr. Joel Fuhrman

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:58 pm

roundcoconut wrote:I am particularly disturbed by two recent posters to these boards who have mentioned the idea of going off their insulin and letting blood sugar levels run amuck while eating who-the-heck-knows-what as far as how they imagine Dr McDougall (or Dr Fuhrman or Dr Barnard) would recommend for patients in their condition. I mean, I practically go into spasms looking at posts like that -- sure, this is a wonderful way to eat, but is it throw-down-your-crutches-and-be-healed wonderful?

So does the message become, "Perhaps you could reverse your diabetes, but it's a tremendously demanding protocol, and you have to stick with it, or the diabetes comes right back"? Does the message become, "Hey, this way of eating might give you a better chance against cancer, but doesn't guarantee you'll beat it"?

I did not see those posts but I would not just recommend abruptly stopping insulin like that unless they are part of a medically supervised program. That's my bias. What I would advocate is that as the program starts, to do closer monitoring, and gradually reduce the insulin as the sugar levels improve. It takes time for weight loss to occur, we are talking 1/2 lb - 2 lbs per week for most people. Also exercise must be part of the program. Like anything, the more you dedicate, the better the results.

My message contrary to the above becomes "Yes, it's a big shift from your current diet, but big results come from big changes. As time goes on and you learn more about the changes, the diabetes SHOULD get better, but some people have just run out of their own insulin (this I know, I've checked C-Peptide levels, and if the sugars are sky high while the C-Peptide levels are really, really low, that means the person is behaving more like a type 1 diabetic and requires insulin)."

Furthermore I tell them that as time goes on, for every 1 food they give up, they might find 100 foods that are new, and that they enjoy, and as their cooking skills and creativity improve, they will be the envy of the town with their foods and recipes. They may sample recipes from all around the world, because starch is the main staple no matter which traditional diet you choose. Make it about positive, not about negative. No one wants to eat cardboard all day. One only needs to look at Instagram #mcdougall #StarchSolution etc. to see thousands of delicious recipe pictures!

I like that latter statement, you have the best chance at fighting your ___ (fill in diabetes, heart disease, blood pressure, cancer, autoimmune disease) with this eating plan.

Lastly, even with a perfect McDougall plan, there are those very few who have food intolerances such as wheat, soy, nightshade, etc. and it might take a McDougall elimination plan to "hash" this out.

As an example of the above disclaimer, I had a patient who did MMA type exercise (mixed martial arts) really killing it at the gym every day, we are talking muscles popping out where others don't have any and following a perfect plant-based diet (I know, he showed me food diaries). He became frustrated and depressed he was still running sugars over 200. It turns out he had horribly low C-Peptide levels, and once I put him on basal/bolus insulin, his condition dramatically improved.

Similarly, I saw a type-I diabetic teenager, on a perfect plant-based diet, who had reduced his insulin in half. It worked great for a while but despite his best efforts his sugars were literally all across the board with extreme lows and extreme highs. I tried helping him with his insulin regimen, but finally we decided the best thing would be to get on an insulin pump. Talking with the endo (who by the way, is ALL on board with the plant-based diet, and herself was transitioning to one), she told me that many times with so many hormonal changes and growth spurts in teenage years along with a busy teen schedule a very customized plan with insulin pump becomes necessary. He's doing great now.

On the other hand, I posted on a different thread how a stage IV cancer patient was told by her oncologist to "eat sausage mcmuffins if she wants" and pretty much stuff her face with whatever's around, even if it's loaded with fat and meat. I explained the angiogenesis of cancer and pointed her to William Li's research on this, studying foods as they study chemo agents, and told her she owes it to herself to do the best for her cancer. I told her to rely on the oncologist for the chemo but NOT for nutrition advice. She's definitely worth it and better to at least give it a chance. (this portly onco. shares his favorite hot dog places to go with the patient instead of the healthy restaurants)
StarchHEFP

Postby roundcoconut » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:35 pm

StarchHEFP, I just love that whole post! I like your attitude and your approach.

Some of your other posts have been especially terrific as well, and I'm so glad you do what you do (both professionally and on these boards). Thanks for that!
roundcoconut

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:46 pm

roundcoconut wrote:StarchHEFP, I just love that whole post! I like your attitude and your approach.

Some of your other posts have been especially terrific as well, and I'm so glad you do what you do (both professionally and on these boards). Thanks for that!

Thank you for the kind words! If I had someone who was an expert in the hospitality and business world, we'd start a residential program in Chicago! As they say on Star Trek, damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor not a business expert! In the meantime, I help clients, 1 at a time. I have found some like minded dietitian and a chiropractor, but very few docs on board with this. I've reached out to Kim Williams, to start a "lifestyle medicine" clinic through Rush, but no reply.
PCRM does not have Chicago on their radar just yet for another clinic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVhcB9ucmdg
StarchHEFP

Postby patty » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:29 am

wade4veg wrote:
patty wrote:
Didi's experience
I too said I would never have a stent and that I would definitely stay away from my local hospital because they put a new catheter lab and heart unit in and I knew if they did that then were certainly going to recoup their money and direct more people there. But I was having such pain that I finally called my daughter to drive me to the ER where I coded and they saved my life. However, because I had a thrombosis which was completely blocking an artery, after waking up naked with half a dozen doctors asking me to agree to a stent, I finally agreed to a stent which I had been refusing for six hours.

Aloha, patty

A good example of why its not a good idea to encase your views in solid "one size fits all" cement...
Didi could well have died during that experience...being so wed to a single minded idea that "stents were bad"...period!
They saved her life at that moment.

BTW, I in recent threads, people were asking about her... Any news or updates?

Read her post again and read behind the lines. People die on Tuesday and are back on Thursday.

am one of those who has burdened the healthcare system. Last year I had a heart attack and coded and this year, in a freak accident, I fell and broke my hip.

I too said I would never have a stent and that I would definitely stay away from my local hospital because they put a new catheter lab and heart unit in and I knew if they did that then were certainly going to recoup their money and direct more people there. But I was having such pain that I finally called my daughter to drive me to the ER where I coded and they saved my life. However, because I had a thrombosis which was completely blocking an artery, after waking up naked with half a dozen doctors asking me to agree to a stent, I finally agreed to a stent which I had been refusing for six hours.

Now here is where the problem arises. Did I need the drug eluting stent which is more expensive than the non drug eluting stent? This requires taking expensive meds for at least a year and I pay out of pocket. And puts me in danger of late stent thrombosis.

For both hospital stays did I need the several different doctors associated with the hospital, not my surgeon ,who came into my room, introduced themselves but did not examine me and charged 385 dollars per visit? This bill alone came to thousands. They did not spend five minutes with me. Sometimes they came in two at a time. It was like a parade.

I do not know how else my bill was determined. I would have been up a creek without a paddle if not for the expert care I did receive, however that is not an excuse for adding as many unnecessary charges as possible. I am also going to question a ct scan I had in the ER., Would a simple x ray have done the job without exposing me to so much radiation?

Didi

After didi's experience she omitted fish, dropped to the weight she was as a young woman. I wonder if she was heard and encouraged to make these changes vs. continually pressured she would have avoided coding.

Dr. Fuhrman "The End of Heart Disease":

Many doctors today realize that patients suffer and die needlessly when they do not give those patients the information they need to save their lives. That is why this book is so important. A little bit of knowledge does not work very well. People need all the right information to make the right decisions for their lives.

What I call “standard” medical care is ending. Doctors can no longer effectively— or ethically— treat patients with medications without discussing the power and absolute necessity of nutritional interventions.

I am not limiting my definition of “standard” medical care to the use of coronary angioplasty and bypass surgery. I am referring to the uses and abuses of the prescription pad as well.

Imagine that a physician notes that her elderly patient has high blood pressure and writes a prescription. In many cases, the doctor will soon get a phone call telling her that the patient fell, fractured a hip, and is now in the hospital. As surprising as this sounds, it is not an unusual event. In fact, in people 66 years and older, the likelihood of hip fracture increases almost 50 percent during the first six weeks of starting blood pressure medication. 5

This “prescription pad” approach to medicine raises a great many questions: Was this patient told that there was a safer option to lowering blood pressure? Was this patient informed of the increased risk of hip fracture with the use of medication? Was this patient told of studies that demonstrate a 50 percent increased risk of breast cancer for people taking certain blood pressure medications? What if a statin drug caused liver failure, requiring hospitalization? What if the patient died or suffered brain damage while undergoing angioplasty or bypass surgery? It all comes down to one critically important question: Why wasn’t the patient informed that there was a safer, more effective option?

Things are changing because the way medicine has been typically practiced has resulted in needless suffering and the needless death of patients. Patients may choose not to comply with dietary recommendations, but that should be their decision, not the doctor’s.

Fuhrman, Joel (2016-04-05). The End of Heart Disease: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease (Kindle Locations 418-428). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

I don't know where didi is but I am sure wherever she is, she is in the best place possible and I am truly grateful for her posting her experiences. She touched so many in ways only she could. Whenever I visit people in a convalescent hospital, I know they are the soldiers working the front lines for VALUED life.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Karl1968 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:43 pm

When I read StarchHEFP's posts it sounds exactly like Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I mean, exactly. Wait, could it be? Possibly? Naaah...
Dr. McDougall has acknowledged Fuhrman's accomplishments. However, McDougall has been doing this work longer than Fuhrman, and has had more success helping people than Fuhrman. Fuhrman needs to show more respect and acknowledge McDougall's work and teachings more audibly, instead of trying to compete with him. To suggest that eating a white potato is parallel to eating white bread is unbelievably arrogant and misleading. With 330 million people in this country and more than 7 billion in the world, Fuhrman's approach is unrealistic, too expensive, unsustainable, elitist, etc... McDougall's diet is inexpensive, very realistic, very sustainable, and could have most people living until their 80s and 90s with no major health issues. This argument Fuhrman makes about 'good nutrition' vs. 'excellent nutrition' is elitist.
Last edited by Karl1968 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karl1968

Postby roundcoconut » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Karl1968, can you post a link to a video in which you see the doctors at the same conference, or commenting on one another's approach? I'm curious!

Strangely, I'm not loyal to either doctor's personal standing in the plant-based community, and think both have probably made some missteps along the way. But I'd be curious to see if I get the same vibe that you do.
roundcoconut

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:50 pm

roundcoconut wrote:Karl1968, can you post a link to a video in which you see the doctors at the same conference, or commenting on one another's approach? I'm curious!

Here's one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdxVfi632Xw
What's the Healthiest Diet?
GeoffreyLevens

Postby roundcoconut » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Hmmm, that is so interesting! I'm not in love with the arguments Dr McDougall made, that if past civilizations did not have access to the caloric density of starches, they would've been skinny and weak. Because we as a society -- here in 2016 -- are not at risk for becoming too skinny or lacking caloric density in our food. We should not eat as though our main threats are starvation or attacks from neighboring villages.

I can only imagine that Jeff Novick would have made a totally different argument in favor of a starch-based diet, because it really IS pretty irrelevant what strategies the Mayans used to give themselves the proper nutrition to lead a very active lifestyle. What matters is what strategies the Americans need to use to give themselves to appropriate caloric density for a far less active lifestyle.

And I have a hard time agreeing with Dr Fuhrman that we should eat fruits and vegetables to lower the caloric density of our foods, but should be sure to add a portion of nuts, seeds and avocados each day to bring that caloric density back up again. I mean, that pretty much nullifies the argument, in my mind. It just says to me that he believes in the healing properties of fruits and vegetables, but think there are also some healing properties in nuts, seeds and avocados, which I am not convinced of.

No culture has ever been so diseased and so sedentary as we have become, and starches DO seem to be part of the solution, but not emphasized to the extent that people think vegetables are optional or superfluous or calorically redundant.

On a side note, I did not detect either doctor seeming inappropriate towards, or jealous of the other doctor!
roundcoconut

Postby OneLeggedPig » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:05 am

I find Dr Fuhrman’s approach very frustrating. Yes it is WFPB and healthy…. But he can’t see the wood for the trees. Where is his perspective? When some of the WPFB experts are focusing so intensely on nutrient density and eating huge amounts of fruit and non-starchy veg I just can’t believe their lack of perspective. I think they need to get real.

Very few people can base their diet on non-starchy veg and fruit and nuts. It’s inconvenient, expensive, and unsatisfying for most people. (I’m an ethical vegan and even I would hate to live like that to be honest. I’d do it if it was that or meat but I wouldn’t be happy about eating masses of veg all the time.) So why encourage people to go to all that trouble when there is absolutely zero evidence that this super-high nutrient density is necessary?

Do some of them just not want to admit that Dr McDougall has been absolutely right? That the best way is to base your diet on starchy foods (but yes, include a higher proportion of non-starchy veg to lose weight faster/overcome a plateau if needed). There’s just no good evidence that increasing micro-nutrient intake beyond that gives any significant benefit.

I know that many of these WFPB experts do fantastic work and their recommended diets are very healthy. Yes their approach is very similar to the approach here- but perspective matters. We are never going to succeed and change the majority of people’s opinions their way. A starch based diet is easy to do, easy to understand, easy to afford, easy to enjoy.

I think part of the issue is that some of these very clever WFPB people almost want the truth to be more complicated. They want there to be more to work out and investigate. But they need to put people and the planet and animals before that. Why can’t these other WFPB experts just say the words? “Your diet should be based on starchy foods.” Dr McDougall isn’t going to sue them! He’d be very very pleased!!

A bit of a rant but it really is very frustrating. We need all the WFPB experts to get behind the consistent message of a starch based diet with fruit and vegetables. I think they are letting the cause down a bit by not doing this.
OneLeggedPig

Postby Werner1950 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:47 am

That one heavy looking doctor wanted to get his point across, and I felt sorry for him because his comments were so irrelevant - talking about corpulent potatoes and corn!! I said to myself, HUH?? What was he advocating? Where are we going to find those primitive foods he was advocating? He seemed so.. lost yet wanting to be heard.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby roundcoconut » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:20 am

In the end, it doesn't seem like a raging controversy to me.

If you do a McDougall diet intelligently, and especially if you follow the general principles of MWL, you are eating 1/3 to 1/2 of your plate as vegetables, and are including some raw foods in your diet, and you are obeying some type of limit on fruit (maybe 2 pieces a day, on average) and you are eating mostly whole unprocessed starches, like brown rice and potatoes.

If you do a McDougall diet by wishful thinking, you may be eating lots of flour-based products, nut butters, avocados, allowed-but-not-recommended baked goods, and plant milks. And you may be eating multiple times a day, with or without hunger.

So, people in our camp get it right, and people in our camp get it wrong. (Hence, the posts, "I watched FOK, and have been doing this diet for 2 months, but I am not really shedding excess body fat!)

I have been reading blogs and such by Fuhrman followers, and when they do that diet intelligently, they are eating vegetables (raw and cooked) in each day, at nearly every meal; they are including a more-than-reasonable portion of beans as their starch for one or two meals, but may be consuming a different grain for their third meal (potatoes, rice, etc.). And they are limiting their eating sessions to three times a day, no snacking.

But his followers, too, sometimes follow his recommendations by wishful thinking. They snack on nuts rather than use them as part of meals or recipes. They eat and snack and eat and snack. They mix and match the recommendations that sound good to them, and then say, "The program doesn''t seem to be working for me. Do you think I should take fish oil?" or some such nonsense.

But an intelligent version of both doctor's recommendations, are remarkably similar to one another! Should I start with the starch, and then add the vegetables, or start with the vegetables, and then add the starch? Well it all goes in the same pie-hole, so I doubt if it matters!

As to whether Joel Fuhrman makes things too complicated, or even whether Jeff Novick makes things too complicated, I don't think the details are unimportant!

It seems as though Esselstyn and McDougall and Barnard like to paint with a broad brush: just eat your starches, vegetables fruits and legumes, and don't get down and dirty trying to figure out whether short grain brown rice or medium grain brown rice is best for longevity.

And it seems as though Jeff Novick and Joel Fuhrman at least provide the detailed information on sodium intake, drinking your calories, frequent snacking, eating beyond biological hunger, supplements pro or con, coffee consumption, fruit consumption guidelines, and bean consumption guidelines.

I tend to agree with Jeff Novick's approach above all -- just give people info on optimal health, and let them figure out how much to follow that info, and how to work that into their own lives.

Just my opinion!
roundcoconut

Postby Karl1968 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:45 pm

I don't appreciate Joel Fuhrman bashing Dr. McDougall's approach of using starches. Fuhrman acts as if it were not healthy. The diet needs to be starch based, period. By the way, eating McDougall's way is much less expensive and easier than Fuhrman's. Fuhrman's way is good, but McDougall is better. He needs to give credit where credit is due instead of always having the approach "Look at me! Look at me! I practically invented a nutritious diet!" He hasn't said that literally, but he might as well have said it, because his words and actions speak volumes. He seems to spend more time competing with McDougall than working with him. That's disappointing. He doesn't need to compete with McDougall, they are supposed to be on the same team.
Karl1968

Postby patty » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Karl1968 wrote:I don't appreciate Joel Fuhrman bashing Dr. McDougall's approach of using starches. Fuhrman acts as if it were not healthy. The diet needs to be starch based, period. By the way, eating McDougall's way is much less expensive and easier than Fuhrman's. Fuhrman's way is good, but McDougall is better. He needs to give credit where credit is due instead of always having the approach "Look at me! Look at me! I practically invented a nutritious diet!" He hasn't said that literally, but he might as well have said it, because his words and actions speak volumes. He seems to spend more time competing with McDougall than working with him. That's disappointing. He doesn't need to compete with McDougall, they are supposed to be on the same team.

I didn't watch the videos, but I too don't like Dr. McDougall not being honored with respect. The hospitals here on Oahu where he started out are still prospering where they should be being read their Miranda rights and there is part of me that wants to scream "Don't you know who you had on staff?" And I guess it really doesn't matter because I got it. Truth always follows.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby StarchHEFP » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:26 am

patty wrote:
I didn't watch the videos, but I too don't like Dr. McDougall not being honored with respect. The hospitals here on Oahu where he started out are still prospering where they should be being read their Miranda rights and there is part of me that wants to scream "Don't you know who you had on staff?" And I guess it really doesn't matter because I got it. Truth always follows.

Aloha, patty

Hey, Patty, if you find any listening ear of someone who wants to setup a whole foods plant based clinic in Oahu, and would also find me a nice place to live, please let me know! I'll take it! :cool:

Every winter, we vow to leave Chicago, start looking longingly at the job listings in warmer climates, and then summer comes, it's beautiful again, and we say how silly that was :lol:
StarchHEFP

Postby patty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:32 pm

StarchHEFP wrote:
patty wrote:

Aloha, patty

Hey, Patty, if you find any listening ear of someone who wants to setup a whole foods plant based clinic in Oahu, and would also find me a nice place to live, please let me know! I'll take it! :cool:

Every winter, we vow to leave Chicago, start looking longingly at the job listings in warmer climates, and then summer comes, it's beautiful again, and we say how silly that was :lol:

You never know it might happen. We certainly deserve to have you and your family here in Hawaii. First it is the Light, then the perception and then the projection... just might happen or happened:) You might contact Dr. Shintani office: http://doctor.webmd.com/doctor/terry-sh ... pointments Website: http://www.drshintani.com I had a good friend who was in jail for heroin trafficking, she wrote the Judge, she was in recovery and he let her out. Another friend who worked the farmer's market created a friendship with a patron and this person gave her, her house:) The moon doesn't change:)

Aloha, patty
patty

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge