Dr. Joel Fuhrman

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dr. Joel Fuhrman

Postby Karl1968 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:45 pm

I have been curious for a while about the absence of Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He was giving lectures each year at VegSource up until 2011, and he even met with Dr. McDougall in 2011. I know a little bit about the "Diet Wars", and I heard the dust has settled, but there still seems to be some lingering 'radiation' from whatever bombs were dropped during the "Diet Wars". I know that Dr. T. Colin Campbell got offended at things Fuhrman did, and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn sided with Campbell. Dr. McDougall was slighted by Fuhrman at the 2007 VegSource question and answer session, and in 2012 Dr. McDougall spoke on the "Diet Wars" in 2012. I see Jeff Novick, RD, and Dr. McDougall, Dr. Campbell and Dr. Esselstyn at VegSource. Why is Fuhrman not there? Has he been blackballed? Or has he turned his back on Doctors McDougall, Campbell and Esselstyn? Jeff Novick stressed unity based on the 98% that is agreed upon instead of the 2% that was bickered about, yet recently with the lectures on "nuts" by McDougall and Novick, it seems as if there is still some lingering resentment against Fuhrman for whatever he said, whether in private or in public. I'm just wondering if he is welcome back into the VegSource and McDougall communities. I have always sided with McDougall, but it seems like something is off, something is not right
Last edited by Karl1968 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Karl1968

Re: Dr. Joel Fuhrman

Postby eshqua » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:59 pm

I've wondered the same things about Dr Fuhrman and his falling out with the rest of the WFPB professionals. Fuhrman spoke at "The Truth about Health" conference and I've watched some of those YouTube videos. Brenda Davis also spoke there and she seems to agree with Fuhrman on nuts and seeds and other issues. I sure wish the WFPB community would strive to cooperate with each other. They agree on so much.
eshqua

Postby wade4veg » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:48 am

bbq wrote:
You get the idea, right?

What a biased load...
wade4veg

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:55 am

Dr. Fuhrman is around, out there in the world, making personal appearances with other vegan docs, just wrote a new book, his newest PBS special just started airing this weekend, is still writing magazine articles.

His next group appearance is at a health expo in Vegan next weekend, an event Dr. Goldhamer, Chef AJ and our own Dr. McDougall will also appear at: http://www.health-healing-happiness.com/

End of Heart Disease book:
http://www.amazon.com/End-Heart-Disease-Prevent-Reverse/dp/0062249355/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

PBS to find Eat to Live presentation in your area
http://www.pbs.org/

He also just spoke at a number of those on-line seminars/conferences, like the one the Robbins family held recently.

And just last weekend introduced a new, updated website and message forum.
https://www.drfuhrman.com

He's been a busy guy.
VeggieSue

Postby openmind » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:19 am

Karl1968 wrote:I have been curious for a while about the absence of Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He was giving lectures each year at VegSource up until 2011, and he even met with Dr. McDougall in 2011. I know a little bit about the "Diet Wars", and I heard the dust has settled, but there still seems to be some lingering 'radiation' from whatever bombs were dropped during the "Diet Wars". I know that Dr. T. Colin Campbell got offended at things Fuhrman did, and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn sided with Campbell. Dr. McDougall was slighted by Fuhrman at the 2007 VegSource question and answer session, and in 2012 Dr. McDougall spoke on the "Diet Wars" in 2012. I see Jeff Novick, RD, and Dr. McDougall, Dr. Campbell and Dr. Esselstyn at VegSource. Why is Fuhrman not there? Has he been blackballed? Or has he turned his back on Doctors McDougall, Campbell and Esselstyn? Jeff Novick stressed unity based on the 98% that is agreed upon instead of the 2% that was bickered about, yet recently with the lectures on "nuts" by McDougall and Novick, it seems as if there is still some resentment against Fuhrman for whatever he said, whether in private or in public. I'm just wondering if he is welcome back into the VegSource and McDougall communities. I have always sided with McDougall, but it seems like something is off, something is not right.

During the debate between John Mackey and Nina what's her name last year, John Mackey mentions somewhere in the video that he has brought Dr. Fuhrman and Dr. McDougall with him to the event.
openmind

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:37 am

Dr Fuhrman supposedly has thee nutrition based diet yet needs to hawk a ton of expensive supplements. He is a snake-oil salesman praying on the fears of people under the guise of health:

https://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/vitamin-advisor
https://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/vitamin-advisor-page-2
https://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/221/supplements
https://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/244/health-screenings
Ltldogg

Postby Drew_ab » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:29 am

Fair enough. But I've read enough of your posts to realize that if it isn't 100% complaint with the physicians/dieticians you mention, then you critique it like crazy. For example, Dr. Greger is someone's work you have had a problem with - yet the man has probably improved the health of more people in his short time in this movement than anyone else I know. If WFPB/vegans/whatever title you like, would quite arguing over the 5% that separates one MD from the next, the movement would be much more cohesive.

There is also no room for individual variability and fine tuning if you so strictly adhere to what one physician says. For example, I include slightly more fat (avocado, nuts, seeds, cocoa) than most people around here and I take a zinc supplement. The result is that my testosterone levels nearly double. Maybe I poorly absorb what is in food after years and years of serious anti-biotic use (I doubt anyone on this board has taken more than me). It stops me from needing TRT, something that might shorten my life span.

Anyway, I've sidetracked this thread enough. My thoughts are Fuhrman is valuable. McDougall is valuable. Essylstyn is valuable. Greger is valuable. And so on.
Drew_ab

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:40 am

Ltldogg wrote:Dr Fuhrman supposedly has thee nutrition based diet yet needs to hawk a ton of expensive supplements. He is a snake-oil salesman praying on the fears of people under the guise of health

I was a professional acupuncturist/clinical herbalist for over 25 years and for much of that time worked part time in "health food" stores including about 7 years in Whole Foods supplement dept. If you really look at what is out there, and the thought that goes into each product, it is nearly impossible to find the quality and attention to latest research that is in Dr Fuhrman's supplements. You may not agree with some of his basic premises about taking them but they are excellent value/money if do take supplements. He is quite mindful of the possible consequences of taking large doses of isolated, concentrated nutrients and his formulas reflect that.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Can't really expect all personalities to be super friendly with each other. At least there are no more active wars going on among various vegan personalities (outside of youtube).
colonyofcells

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:53 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
Ltldogg wrote:Dr Fuhrman supposedly has thee nutrition based diet yet needs to hawk a ton of expensive supplements. He is a snake-oil salesman praying on the fears of people under the guise of health

I was a professional acupuncturist/clinical herbalist for over 25 years and for much of that time worked part time in "health food" stores including about 7 years in Whole Foods supplement dept. If you really look at what is out there, and the thought that goes into each product, it is nearly impossible to find the quality and attention to latest research that is in Dr Fuhrman's supplements. You may not agree with some of his basic premises about taking them but they are excellent value/money if do take supplements. He is quite mindful of the possible consequences of taking large doses of isolated, concentrated nutrients and his formulas reflect that.

How so? Where is the proof? Burden of proof is on the person or company making such claims and as Jeff Novick has pointed out many many times, when you follow this WOE you don't need supplements minus B12, supplements don't work, can actually be harmful and when tested they general do not contain what they claim.

So how are they an excellent value/money? They are not. They are a waste of money.
Ltldogg

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:45 pm

Opinions seem to differ amongst professional as to whether supplements are needed, helpful, waste of money, or hurtful.
If you do think they are needed or helpful, then Furhrman's are a very good value for the money. Of course if they were waste of time or outright bad for you then even free would be a rip off. But opinions do differ. My point was value per the market for supplements.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:56 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Opinions seem to differ amongst professional as to whether supplements are needed, helpful, waste of money, or hurtful.
If you do think they are needed or helpful, then Furhrman's are a very good value for the money. Of course if they were waste of time or outright bad for you then even free would be a rip off. But opinions do differ. My point was value per the market for supplements.

And my point is based on best available evidence/science.
Ltldogg

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Ltldogg wrote:And my point is based on best available evidence/science.

Yes and that could be an exact quote from the differing professionals
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:27 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
Ltldogg wrote:And my point is based on best available evidence/science.

Yes and that could be an exact quote from the differing professionals

It could be, but they would be wrong. Best available science is best available science.
Ltldogg

Next

Return to The Lounge