Dr. Joel Fuhrman

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Dr. Joel Fuhrman

Postby StarchHEFP » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:09 pm

patty wrote:
StarchHEFP wrote:
patty wrote:
I didn't watch the videos, but I too don't like Dr. McDougall not being honored with respect. The hospitals here on Oahu where he started out are still prospering where they should be being read their Miranda rights and there is part of me that wants to scream "Don't you know who you had on staff?" And I guess it really doesn't matter because I got it. Truth always follows.

Aloha, patty

Hey, Patty, if you find any listening ear of someone who wants to setup a whole foods plant based clinic in Oahu, and would also find me a nice place to live, please let me know! I'll take it! :cool:

Every winter, we vow to leave Chicago, start looking longingly at the job listings in warmer climates, and then summer comes, it's beautiful again, and we say how silly that was :lol:

You never know it might happen. We certainly deserve to have you and your family here in Hawaii. First it is the Light, then the perception and then the projection... just might happen or happened:) You might contact Dr. Shintani office: http://doctor.webmd.com/doctor/terry-sh ... pointments Website: http://www.drshintani.com I had a good friend who was in jail for heroin trafficking, she wrote the Judge, she was in recovery and he let her out. Another friend who worked the farmer's market created a friendship with a patron and this person gave her, her house:) The moon doesn't change:)

Aloha, patty

Thanks for that reference! Hawaiians are awesome. I love them! Who knows. I love Dr. Shintani's peace symbol food plate. So elegant and simple, that one has to take the prize. Everyone should see it!
StarchHEFP

Postby bbq » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:30 pm

Best Vegan Diet for Health is Not Starch Based with Dr Joel Fuhrman
http://youtu.be/SdvOpIAg1zw

Yawn.
bbq

Postby OneLeggedPig » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:30 pm

StarchHEFP wrote:Thanks for that reference! Hawaiians are awesome. I love them! Who knows. I love Dr. Shintani's peace symbol food plate. So elegant and simple, that one has to take the prize. Everyone should see it!

Could you tell me more about that book? I feel like my Girlfriend might be willing to read that one :)
OneLeggedPig

Postby StarchHEFP » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:25 pm

OneLeggedPig wrote:
StarchHEFP wrote:Thanks for that reference! Hawaiians are awesome. I love them! Who knows. I love Dr. Shintani's peace symbol food plate. So elegant and simple, that one has to take the prize. Everyone should see it!

Could you tell me more about that book? I feel like my Girlfriend might be willing to read that one :)

I don't know much about it but browsing through the table of contents as well as the book on Amazon preview, there isn't anything different from Dr. McDougall's approach. The book still advertises oil free and vegan, with a heavy dose of rice and starches. However, the book appears to have a deeply spiritual focus (not necessarily religious, but spiritual) and words of wisdom interspersed throughout the book from different philosophers, scientists and artists throughout the ages about plant-based eating, such as Plato, Voltaire, and da Vinci. Also the recipes appear to be inspired by Japanese/Hawaiian cuisine. In the beginning he talks about how he was inspired by the Macrobiotic movement of Kushii.

Again, appears to be a beautiful work that is good for all, embedded with the Aloha spirit, also good for us mainlanders to read! Starch Solution basically Hawaiian-ized.

I know many plant-based authors often shy away from the spiritual / ethical aspects, but as a doctor, how can you ignore this? Isn't human health connected to the Earth's health? Isn't living in harmony with your philosophy the way to inner peace? I wish more authors took the approach of Dr. Shintani.

If someone reaches this way of eating strictly through health reasons, then there is more of a chance for a slip-up. However if there is a deeper concern that adds to the health approach, then one is more likely to stay on the straight path.

I found an executive summary from Veg Society of Hawaii:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYKRlnGndz4
StarchHEFP

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:15 pm

StarchHEFP wrote:I know many plant-based authors often shy away from the spiritual / ethical aspects, but as a doctor, how can you ignore this? Isn't human health connected to the Earth's health? Isn't living in harmony with your philosophy the way to inner peace? I wish more authors took the approach of Dr. Shintani.

If someone reaches this way of eating strictly through health reasons, then there is more of a chance for a slip-up. However if there is a deeper concern that adds to the health approach, then one is more likely to stay on the straight path.

I agree. I find a beautiful symmetry between personal health, environmental health, spiritual health, and ethics. I am constantly reminded of the bigger picture, and it is motivating when I tire of swimming upstream in this food environment.

However, recent threads show that this view is by no means prevalent, even here.
vgpedlr

Postby StarchHEFP » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:06 pm

vgpedlr wrote:
I agree. I find a beautiful symmetry between personal health, environmental health, spiritual health, and ethics. I am constantly reminded of the bigger picture, and it is motivating when I tire of swimming upstream in this food environment.

However, recent threads show that this view is by no means prevalent, even here.

What a beautiful and eloquent statement above! I would love to continue this discussion further, but if it's OK with everyone, I'm going to take this last message and post to the proper thread about Dr. Shintani: https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35673

Mahalo!
StarchHEFP

Postby John McDougall » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:10 pm

See: The Diet Wars: The Time for Unification Is Now

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/aug/wars.htm

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:01 pm

John McDougall wrote:See: The Diet Wars: The Time for Unification Is Now