Would you eat this?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Would you eat this?

Postby Werner1950 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:35 am

Postby Werner1950 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Would you eat this? This is the ingredient list of corn tortillas I just bought to try them out. Hope I spell this right :)

Corn Masa Flour, Sorbic Acid, Calcium Proprionate, CNC, Fumaric Acid, Guar Gum, Enzymes, trace of lime, water.

I Looked up Calcium Proprionate, CNC, Fumaric Acid, Guar Gum. Made me leery.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Re: Would you eat this?

Postby colonyofcells » Fri May 27, 2016 1:52 pm

If made from whole corn, tortillas have about 1 gram of fiber. Can get more fiber from whole grain bread.
I buy the mi rancho organic corn tortilla at costco and the ingredients are corn, trace of lime, guar gum.
I also like the sonoma organic corn tortilla :
http://www.latortillafactory.com/produc ... llow-corn/
Small amount of guar gum seems safe.
There are also organic sprouted corn tortilla (no guar gum) :
http://www.foodforlife.com/product/tort ... -tortillas
Last edited by colonyofcells on Fri May 27, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colonyofcells

Postby Jack Monzon » Fri May 27, 2016 3:23 pm

Lots of corn-tortilla options here where I live. I'd find one without these weird ingredients, simply because I'm not sure what they are and don't have the energy to look them up.
Jack Monzon

Postby Taggart » Fri May 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Werner1950 wrote:Postby Werner1950 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Would you eat this? This is the ingredient list of corn tortillas I just bought to try them out. Hope I spell this right :)

Corn Masa Flour, Sorbic Acid, Calcium Proprionate, CNC, Fumaric Acid, Guar Gum, Enzymes, trace of lime, water.

I Looked up Calcium Proprionate, CNC, Fumaric Acid, Guar Gum. Made me leery.

I would think you're better off just buying the Sprouted Corn Tortillas from Food For Life.

Ingredients: Organic Sprouted Corn, Filtered Water, Sea Salt, Lime.

Available at the Whole Foods Store in Mississauga, so I assume also obtainable at their other branches in Toronto.
Taggart

Postby Jumpstart » Fri May 27, 2016 3:40 pm

The general rule I use is never buying any food item that sits on a regular store shelf. If bacteria refuses to recognize the product as food why should I? This especially applies to wheat flour and corn products.
Jumpstart

Postby pundit999 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:58 pm

I think these will be OK if you are in a pinch but for regular use, tortillaland corn tortillas in the refrigerated section of super Walmart or Kroger are much better and better tasting
pundit999

Postby Wren » Fri May 27, 2016 11:30 pm

Werner1950 wrote:Sorbic Acid, Calcium Proprionate, CNC, Fumaric Acid, Guar Gum, Enzymes

I personally wouldn't touch those with a stick!
Wren

Postby petero » Sat May 28, 2016 8:37 am

I would eat most of the stuff--you can find tortillas with just one or two of the preservatives. The guar gum is a soluble plant fiber. Acids don't sound too bad as far as preservatives go. I don't now what CNC is though, or "enzymes", hence why I would look for a simpler recipe. The only other option would be to make your own tortilla, I think, or just eat the corn.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby greentea » Sat May 28, 2016 5:28 pm

I probably wouldn't. Are you near Kensington market? There is a mexican restaurant where I think you can buy fresh tortillas http://www.latortilleria.ca/pages/locations
There is also a latin american grocery store where you might also be able to find them.
greentea

Postby Werner1950 » Sat May 28, 2016 7:38 pm

greentea wrote:I probably wouldn't. Are you near Kensington market? There is a mexican restaurant where I think you can buy fresh tortillas http://www.latortilleria.ca/pages/locations
There is also a latin american grocery store where you might also be able to find them.

Greentea, that is exactly where I bought these. :)

Yes, my office is only a stone's throw from there.
Werner1950

Postby Taggart » Sun May 29, 2016 2:09 am

greentea wrote:I probably wouldn't. Are you near Kensington market? There is a mexican restaurant where I think you can buy fresh tortillas http://www.latortilleria.ca/pages/locations

I went to La Tortilleria in Etobicoke about a year ago and asked if they had any oil in the corn tortillas. She said yes, they use a little canola oil. That's why when buying corn tortillas I stick with the oil-free ones I mentioned above available from Whole Foods.
Taggart

Postby Werner1950 » Sun May 29, 2016 4:07 am

Taggart wrote:

I went to La Tortilleria in Etobicoke about a year ago and asked if they had any oil in the corn tortillas. She said yes, they use a little canola oil. That's why when buying corn tortillas I stick with the oil-free ones I mentioned above available from Whole Foods.

The ingredient list on the ones I bought in the Kensington store has no oil. So perhaps they are not being completely truthful.
Werner1950

Postby Taggart » Sun May 29, 2016 6:36 am

Werner1950 wrote:
Taggart wrote:

The ingredient list on the ones I bought in the Kensington store has no oil. So perhaps they are not being completely truthful.

The one time I bought my corn tortillas from La Tortilleria they didn't even have an ingredient list on the package, which is why I had to ask one of the employees there, but like I say, that was about a year ago, so perhaps there's been a change for the better since then.
Taggart

Postby greentea » Sun May 29, 2016 6:46 am

Werner1950 wrote:

Greentea, that is exactly where I bought these. :)

Yes, my office is only a stone's throw from there.

Wow! That's weird. They say they make them fresh everyday, so I can't understand why they would need to add all that extra stuff. Boo. I would hit up a latino store then. Ultimately, you could make your own, they are super easy to make.
greentea

Postby pundit999 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:45 am

Tortillaland corn tortillas ingredients. All look fine. They are available anywhere in the US and are inexpensive, about 10 cents per tortilla

Ingredients: Water, Corn Masa (corn, water, lime, cellulose gum), Salt, Lime, Guar Gum.

Search tortillaland in Google

Over the years there have been several topics here on tortillas.. Search.

The best is to make your own and it is easy to do but when you don't have the time, using these tortillas works well.
pundit999

Next

Return to The Lounge