Who here has lost plenty of fat by eating white rice?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Who here has lost plenty of fat by eating white rice?

Postby Branson » Thu May 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Who here has lost plenty of fat eating white rice as their main starch?
Branson

Re: Who here has lost plenty of fat by eating white rice?

Postby Jerry Angelo » Thu May 26, 2016 2:10 pm

I did in the beginning, I had a lot to lose and it worked better then, now potatoes and legumes are my main starches...
108 Pounds Lost Since Sept 2014 - And Counting
No more pre diabetes! Eternally grateful to Dr. McDougall! And Jeff Novick!!!
My Journal
Jerry Angelo

Postby Branson » Thu May 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks Jerry.
Branson

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Thu May 26, 2016 7:17 pm

In response to your query it appears there is plenty of evidence;
https://www.drmcdougall.com/2013/12/31/walter-kempner-md-founder-of-the-rice-diet/
Pumpkin Pete

Postby Dalton » Thu May 26, 2016 7:42 pm

The majority of my heftiness came off by eating brown rice (asian style). It has just a few more calories. I did very well with it, but I am now focusing more on greens to lose those last stubborn pounds.
Dalton

Postby arugula » Thu May 26, 2016 9:05 pm

i get constipated just looking at white rice. it's very rarely in my diet, but i will give it to my dogs, who have no need of high fiber.

but i tend to overdo it on brown rice. it's really hard for me to control my portions of that. i like to mix it up with mostly low-calorie vegetables.

i am not an overweight person, or even normal person, nor have i ever been. i am slightly underweight by conventional standards. by kempner standards i am just right. but that's only due to constant vigilance since the age of 13 or so.
arugula

Postby petero » Fri May 27, 2016 6:01 am

Once it was on clearance for 0.33/lb at Kroger. I bought maybe 30 pounds. Ate it all. No problem.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby roundcoconut » Fri May 27, 2016 7:29 am

I would give you my blessing on eating white rice as a primary starch! I believe it can be eaten daily and still attain or maintain optimal health, optimal weight.

(I am a hardass and don't put foods in my body that I deem health-compromising, and I DO eat white rice as well as brown-- just bought a five pound bag.)

The other concepts still apply --

- eat veg at every meal.
- have fruit when you are wanting something sweet
- include calorie dense foods rarely and carefully, if at all (edamame, avocado, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, breads, crackers)
- eat processed foods as seldom as possible (nut butters, tofu, coconut milk, etc.)
- eat your calories rather than drink them (re plant milks, fruit juices, smoothies)
- eat when hungry, continue till comfortably full, don't starve or stuff yourself

That about covers all the loopholes! Get to it. :)
roundcoconut

Postby Branson » Fri May 27, 2016 8:13 am

The reason I asked is that I have seen on the forums often about people switching to potatos for better/faster weight loss. I've seen it enough times that I thought to ask who has lost the weight with white rice.

Kempner was calorie controlled. McDougall is not. So though you can go for a free for all with potatos, I dont know that you can with white rice.

The thing I have begun is to have a good amount of vinegar each meal. From my understanding of Dr. Gregor that vinegar helps blood sugar/insulin which I guess is ratcheting up what is already good but also that it INCREASES SATIETY so hunger doesnt come back as quickly.

So Im making a trial of this to see that I can eat as much white rice as I feel like without measuring for calories, BECAUSE I added the vinegar.

Kempner is about a cup of cooked rice a meal. That makes me mad to measure anything and I balk and go off.

Let me eat what amount of white rice I want to eat and see if the vinegar doesnt make for proper appetite over time. Well thats the theory.

Imperial Dragon jasmine. So sweet and wonderful and cheap in the big bags at Walmart dated 2016 crop. :-P
Branson

Postby GlennR » Fri May 27, 2016 8:15 am

roundcoconut wrote:...
- eat your calories rather than drink them (re plant milks, fruit juices, smoothies)
...)

So, I'm going to venture off topic, although I use white rice and have lost a good amount of weight but I kind of compromise on the don't drink your calories one by making my smoothies into ice "cream". Two cups of mixed cabbage salad from Costco along with a couple of tablespoons of cocoa, a frozen banana and frozen cherries. Add a touch of water or almond milk and let the Vitamix turn it into delicious chocolate cherry ice cream with a bit of enthusiastic tamping by me. I don't drink it, I spoon it up bit by bit. It's easiest if the cocoa, ounce or two of water and the greens are done first, then add the frozen fruit. It does take a much longer time to eat the ice cream than to drink the smoothie.

I know it's really the same thing but it feels different. :-D
Glenn
GlennR

Postby Branson » Fri May 27, 2016 2:06 pm

My favorite Dr. McDougall video. Heck watch it twice!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... hite-rice/
Branson

Postby petero » Sat May 28, 2016 8:42 am

Potatoes are less calorie dense than rice, and something called the "Satiety Index", which is based on a study of food satisfaction compared to white bread, rates potatoes as the most satisfying food. Much more than fatty foods or anything. They're a great weight loss food.

It can be a free for all if you include vegetables to bring the calorie density down to a level where you're satisfied but still losing weight. You're making me hungry by mentioning that Jasmine rice.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Return to The Lounge