Physcian Poo Poo

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Physcian Poo Poo

Postby bruciels1961 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:08 am

I have a personal friend who is a physician who is poo pooing my McDougall diet! He says that it's all genetics. The Asians are thin because of genetics. The Africans too! i should look at my genetic base and get blood work to determine my course in diet...
bruciels1961

Re: Physcian Poo Poo

Postby figlover » Tue May 24, 2016 8:20 am

Unless you are willing to arm yourself with data and all kinds of argumentative type responses just don't pay it any mind. Read about this WOE, practice it and become healthier so you can resume your other activities.
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby StarchHEFP » Tue May 24, 2016 8:31 am

bruciels1961 wrote:I have a personal friend who is a physician who is poo pooing my McDougall diet! He says that it's all genetics. The Asians are thin because of genetics. The Africans too! i should look at my genetic base and get blood work to determine my course in diet...

If he's concerned about genetics, show him the studies that say African-Americans get 60 X the colon cancer of native Africans on a starch based diet, and show him the breast cancer studies that show that Chinese after they migrate to the USA, have the same rate of breast cancer as Americans. Many other examples of this exist, where natives migrate and/or take on Western diet characteristics. Is he familiar with Blue Zones? How about the Loma Linda Health studies? I could go on and on... I know plenty of unhealthy, overweight Africans and Asians but they are the ones who took on an American lifestyle. I do immigration exams, and it's rare to find someone from overseas who is overweight and unhealthy. They are the most healthiest bunch of people ever, because of traditional starch based diets (except for the U.K. people)
StarchHEFP

Postby Skip » Tue May 24, 2016 8:50 am

Physicians aren't trained in nutrition. Why should their view of nutrition be any different than the general public?
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby bruciels1961 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:23 am

I'll just have to prove it with my own action! Thanks for your responses!
bruciels1961

Postby StarchHEFP » Tue May 24, 2016 9:40 am

Skip wrote:Physicians aren't trained in nutrition. Why should their view of nutrition be any different than the general public?

I regret I did not learn more from Dr. McDougall and Dr. Barnard while in med school however we doctors are never to old to go to "school" again at McDougall's medicine or NutritionCme.Com! That's how I got "schooled" thanks to the good plant-based doctors. Instead of faulting the docs for not knowing their nutrition, suggest to them these good resources
StarchHEFP

Postby Chumly » Tue May 24, 2016 9:48 am

I thought your health was based on your blood type. :lol:

Michael
Chumly

Postby geo » Tue May 24, 2016 10:43 am

I'll just have to prove it with my own action! Thanks for your responses!

Proving it is easy...see my testimonial in my sig. My Journal link shows you how easy it is. Follow the program, give it time, reap the rewards.

Its all about just getting it done :nod:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby danmc » Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 am

Chumly wrote:I thought your health was based on your blood type. :lol:

Michael

Don't be silly...it's astrological sign.
danmc

Postby Skip » Tue May 24, 2016 1:03 pm

StarchHEFP wrote:
Skip wrote:Physicians aren't trained in nutrition. Why should their view of nutrition be any different than the general public?

I regret I did not learn more from Dr. McDougall and Dr. Barnard while in med school however we doctors are never to old to go to "school" again at McDougall's medicine or NutritionCme.Com! That's how I got "schooled" thanks to the good plant-based doctors. Instead of faulting the docs for not knowing their nutrition, suggest to them these good resources

I don't fault doctors for not knowing nutrition. It is not their fault that medical training does not emphasize the importance of diet in relationship to health. I wonder if the percentage of doctors following a WFPB diet is any different from the general public following such a diet. My guess is that the percentages are close to the same.

If a large percentage of doctors did adopt a WFPB diet, their influence on the public would be a very positive thing indeed as doctors are put on a pedestal when it comes to health decisions.
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby Spiral » Tue May 24, 2016 2:34 pm

bruciels1961 wrote:I have a personal friend who is a physician who is poo pooing my McDougall diet! He says that it's all genetics. The Asians are thin because of genetics. The Africans too! i should look at my genetic base and get blood work to determine my course in diet...

That's interesting because the Chinese used to have very low rates of type 2 diabetes, but since they have been invaded by Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonald's rates of type 2 diabetes has skyrocketed. I guess those genes must have changed. I mean, it can't be the food, right? That's not possible.
Spiral

Postby Risto » Tue May 24, 2016 3:59 pm

bruciels1961 wrote: The Asians are thin because of genetics.

That's just willful ignorance at this point, I think. What's happening in China is pretty plain to see, if you take a look. Unless their genes have deteriorated catastrophically in one generation.
Risto

Postby petero » Wed May 25, 2016 6:19 am

I have a couple of family members who are physicians. They eat terribly compared to me. They are around my age, and one is on or considering (not sure) a statin. Yet dietary changes are too extreme. I do mention my numbers. One thought my triglycerides would be through the roof, but lo and behold they were in the upper 50s.

My advice is just to forget about it and bask in your good health. They are subject to the same biases and rationalizations as anyone else. Meat is just so darn tasty.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby Jerry Angelo » Wed May 25, 2016 6:26 am

petero wrote:My advice is just to forget about it and bask in your good health.

That is good advice but it's hard, so very hard not to when you see people you care about- and even people you may not know- going down the wrong path...

We were up in Gatlinburg a few months back, absolutely loved the Smoky Mountains, especially Cades Cove... beautiful...
108 Pounds Lost Since Sept 2014 - And Counting
No more pre diabetes! Eternally grateful to Dr. McDougall! And Jeff Novick!!!
My Journal
Jerry Angelo

Postby Dalton » Thu May 26, 2016 7:47 pm

I thought we were supposed to eat according to the zodiac. Good thing I'm a libra. :-P
Dalton

Next

Return to The Lounge