hello again....

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

hello again....

Postby Vegan Hunter » Tue May 24, 2016 7:55 am

Hey Guys, It's been a couple of years since I posted here, but I have some things on my mind I feel like getting out.

A little background..... I started the vegan lifestyle back on January 11th, 2011. This website along with the popular books and documentaries of the time(Food Inc., Forks Over Knives, The China Study, The Starch Solution, etc.) helped me refine my efforts and I went from 296 down to 228. For almost 4 years I thrived in this lifestyle, then for no good reason I quit. I decided to have a piece of Salmon on vacation(my knees buckled it was so good :D ) and it was all over from there. Again, no good reason. I went straight back into The Everything Diet, and went right back to the 290s in seemingly no time with no one to blame but myself. That is where I am now.

I have no doubt this is the absolute best way to achieve health, vitality, and longevity. I have experienced the change in my micro biome that sent me from craving cheeseburgers to potatoes and broccoli, and back again. There is no doubt in my mind everything Dr. McDougall, Esselstyn, and Campbell espouses is the truth. But I am a weak person. I'm not back on the horse yet, but I am going round and round with one foot in the stirrup!

Frankly I am surprised and frustrated that these guys continue to be marginalized in popular media. I shake my head that Atkins and The Paleo Diet are still so popular. I still see comments from time to time about how The China Study was "debunked". My Pediatrician still asks my girls if they drink milk every day. :angry: I do see slowly more options for healthy eating appearing, but I live in Georgia. We're not known to be a bastion of progressive thinking.

That's all for now. Just got the urge to pop back in and say hi.
There are three kinds of people in this world. Those that are good at math, and those that aren't.
Vegan Hunter

Re: hello again....

Postby StarchHEFP » Tue May 24, 2016 8:27 am

Vegan Hunter wrote:Hey Guys, It's been a couple of years since I posted here, but I have some things on my mind I feel like getting out.

A little background..... I started the vegan lifestyle back on January 11th, 2011. This website along with the popular books and documentaries of the time(Food Inc., Forks Over Knives, The China Study, The Starch Solution, etc.) helped me refine my efforts and I went from 296 down to 228. For almost 4 years I thrived in this lifestyle, then for no good reason I quit. I decided to have a piece of Salmon on vacation(my knees buckled it was so good :D ) and it was all over from there. Again, no good reason. I went straight back into The Everything Diet, and went right back to the 290s in seemingly no time with no one to blame but myself. That is where I am now.

I have no doubt this is the absolute best way to achieve health, vitality, and longevity. I have experienced the change in my micro biome that sent me from craving cheeseburgers to potatoes and broccoli, and back again. There is no doubt in my mind everything Dr. McDougall, Esselstyn, and Campbell espouses is the truth. But I am a weak person. I'm not back on the horse yet, but I am going round and round with one foot in the stirrup!

Frankly I am surprised and frustrated that these guys continue to be marginalized in popular media. I shake my head that Atkins and The Paleo Diet are still so popular. I still see comments from time to time about how The China Study was "debunked". My Pediatrician still asks my girls if they drink milk every day. :angry: I do see slowly more options for healthy eating appearing, but I live in Georgia. We're not known to be a bastion of progressive thinking.

That's all for now. Just got the urge to pop back in and say hi.

Thanks for your comments! Why don't you print out some stuff from McDougall and PCRM website and give to the good doctor next time your little vegans see them? And teach your girls to say, I don't drink cow's milk becasue that would be silly, it's for baby cows. I drink my milk from (fill in the blank - almond, soy, rice, etc.) and it's much healthier than cow's milk! That sure will get the attention of the good doctor! Don't worry, I think there will always be "debunkers" and detractors. Plant these seeds in people's minds and someday they may remember them. It's not easy to turn a big ship around, it's a team effort and takes time.
StarchHEFP

Postby amandamechele » Tue May 24, 2016 8:48 am

Welcome back!

As someone who has also taken a longer route on the road to health, I wish you all the best, and hope you just keep moving in the right direction!!

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Chumly » Tue May 24, 2016 9:51 am

You're not completely alone. I live in Atlanta (Sharpsburg). You can find ways to get in touch with vegans and vegetarians in the area, but it may be difficult to find people who follow this plan.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Dougalling » Wed May 25, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi

One foot in the stirrups eh? Well, time to get your mind in the game. Sit down, think hard, and find your motivator. Then Just Do It !

My motivator ... there is no need to eat animals.

Take a good long look at your two girls and see if you can come up with a 1-liner to get you through any tough times.
Dougalling

Return to The Lounge