media dispicably covering vegan death on Mt Everest

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

media dispicably covering vegan death on Mt Everest

Postby healthyvegan » Tue May 24, 2016 2:17 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... ostbitten/

the media outlets are trolling hard with this tragedy. feel horrible for her partner and family to have to experience the pits of media vegan hate. they were experienced climbers and succumbed to altitude sickness which has nothing to do with being vegan, veganism is likely beneficial providing more oxygen than fat and protein.... but the general public will add the headlines to their reasons for never going vegan
Last edited by healthyvegan on Tue May 24, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Re: media dispicably covering vegan death on Mt Everest

Postby lilypad » Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 am

Wow, that's truly disgusting. They're exploiting this poor woman's death just to have a go at veganism.

This is a really good article about the media's reaction to the woman's veganism and how it's being reported in the press.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/kathryn ... 05070.html

Just found this ignorant comment under the Daily Mail article
What an absolute tragedy, sympathy to her family. I really hope that this unnecessary and sad death is a message to al those who think the vegan diet is sound nutritionally, that it is perhaps not. The need for protein in the diet is vital. Your muscles need the protein for strength. A balanced diet of enough protein, unrefined carbs and good unsaturated fats is essential for whole body wellbeing.

So what about all the NON-VEGANS who died on Everest? What about the woman's husband and the other people who died in as many days on Everest- who were non-vegan.

They've reduced her to being 'a vegan', rather than a whole person.
lilypad

Postby Skip » Tue May 24, 2016 5:47 am

I was reading through the comment section at the end of the article. One comment was as follows:

"Altitude sickness can take the life of anyone regardless of what they eat. To blame this on veganism is a pathetic expression of intolerance and ignorance. Where is the compassion, these comments are ruthless, my goodness!"

This comment was followed responded to by one person:

"I'm a carnivore. Compassion is optional."

The article and comments prove that their still exists an extreme bias against the value of eating a WFPB diet. But we all know that.
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby smudgemom » Tue May 24, 2016 7:47 am

When someone makes a ridiculous proclamation, all bets are off..IMO.

It was said she was an 'experienced' climber. Heck, I'm sitting on a sofa in land-lock, flat Dallas...and even I can tell you altitude sickness can kill you. Wasn't there someone, anyone, that tapped her on her shoulder & said, "um...you DO realize what you're saying is crazy? Nutrition has nothing to do with altitude sickness." Obviously not.
smudgemom

Postby figlover » Tue May 24, 2016 8:09 am

It's angering but not surprising. This is the world we live in folks!
People with half a brain, regardless of their dietetic persuasion, can see that headline for what it is.
Reporters have biases and agendas. Screw em' :-D
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby StarchHEFP » Tue May 24, 2016 8:22 am

Speaking of diet, I have a patient who, on his newfound plantbased diet, climbed Kilimanjaro, and subsequently, summited Everest. He showed me the picture to prove it. They told him he would die because he was a scrawny South Asian, but he made it all the way! Almost died in the process though. I was fortunate enough to hear his story and to see his pictures. I can't say more because of confidentiality, but at least I can say that I've met a plant-based athlete personally who climbed Everest. Of course, I told him never to do it again because he has a wife and kids to live for.
StarchHEFP

Postby vgpedlr » Tue May 24, 2016 10:01 am

Except for the title, that article was quite well balanced. Clearly the title was meant to attract attention, but only the first few paragraphs covered the vegans. The rest of the article covered the many other deaths. The article simply pointed out that they climbed with a vegan agenda and failed. That some people were concerned about their protein and iron intake is normal. Of course the many vocal people that hate veganism will chime in, but the article did not. If Sami Inkinen succumbed to sunstroke, heat exhaustion, or dehydration on his epic row across the Pacific to extol the virtues of LCHF, the vegan peanut gallery would react the same way.

The only thing the article leaves out is that altitude sickness can strike any one at any time, regardless of experience or diet. The same climber can be on the same mountain, the same route, and experience it differently. One time, fine, next time, near death.

That, and that the native Sherpas March up and done those mountains every day on a starch based, near vegan diet. But maybe I this case, "near" is just far enough away to be acceptable?
vgpedlr

Postby Jumpstart » Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 am

I agree. I didn't see the writer attribute the fluid build-up to Veganism. If you put it out there that you're vegan why wouldn't they mention it in the story?
Jumpstart

Postby dailycarbs » Tue May 24, 2016 1:26 pm

Jumpstart wrote:I agree. I didn't see the writer attribute the fluid build-up to Veganism. If you put it out there that you're vegan why wouldn't they mention it in the story?

It's called clickbait. All the media outlets do it to get eyeballs on the story and sell ads. They're all scrambling to figure out the new publishing economy, subscriptions, ads, etc. Sad but true.
dailycarbs

Postby figlover » Tue May 24, 2016 2:11 pm

Yes! That's making more sense now, thanks for pointing it out. Now I have 'click bait' awareness.
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby Spiral » Tue May 24, 2016 2:31 pm

vgpedlr wrote:The only thing the article leaves out is that altitude sickness can strike any one at any time, regardless of experience or diet. The same climber can be on the same mountain, the same route, and experience it differently. One time, fine, next time, near death.

Goodness, I didn't know the risks were so high. I do, however, remember how out of breath I was when I climbed Pikes Peak.
Spiral

Postby vgpedlr » Tue May 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Spiral wrote:Goodness, I didn't know the risks were so high. I do, however, remember how out of breath I was when I climbed Pikes Peak.

The risks go up as elevation goes up. The real danger is in the 8000 meter Himalayan peaks, the area they call "the dead zone" where any time spent means killing brain cells.

But even lower altitudes can affect some people. Many flatlander tourists who go to Coloroda get a mild case they just think is a hangover from some extra drinks on vacation.
vgpedlr

Postby geo » Tue May 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Goodness, I didn't know the risks were so high. I do, however, remember how out of breath I was when I climbed Pikes Peak.

I've been up Pikes Peak 8-9 times between '77-80. Even several years acclimating in the Springs didn't help all that much at 14K ft. Labored breathing was to be expected. I used the Barr Trail everytime and it was a great hike in the spring thru fall. I was stationed there at Stargate HQ's...errr, I mean Cheyenne Mountain Complex (NORAD Hq's) during the time and I remember , not so fondly, having to do our yearly 1.5 mile fitness run at 6K+ altitude and wondering where all the air went.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Chris_B » Tue May 24, 2016 10:19 pm

What bothers me even more is how the media calls most people who die outdoors experienced. Calling those who have limited experience at high elevation and rely on fixed ropes on non-technical routes "experienced" does a disservice to the great climbers and explorers that push boundaries and explore new routes. Truly experienced mountaineers also perish but there are few of those left on Everest. The vanity required to put the lives of others on the line (Sherpas in the Khumbu Icefall) is far worse than any dietary choices.
Chris_B

Postby petero » Wed May 25, 2016 6:08 am

Article wrote:They would have to wait on Everest, though.

Why? Is Everest the name of a customer at Starbucks? You wait for an event, you wait on a customer. It's sad that this virus has spread to the media. :lol:

Article wrote:“Physically he’s OK, we think,” Heinz said. “Mentally he is a mess. He’s just lost his wife. These guys were not amateurs, they were ­experienced climbers.”

Meanwhile, experienced sedentists thought that the couple weren't getting enough iron and protein. Finally, it was not necessarily "a waste." It was a calculated risk and presumably they knew what they were getting into. I can think of worse ways to die than trying to carry out a passion.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Next

Return to The Lounge