hypothetical question

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

hypothetical question

Postby BenzoSt » Sun May 22, 2016 12:33 pm

So what hypothetically would you do if you have a friend who:
1. Is obsessed with protein and consumes about 300g of protein per day from eggs, chicken, beef, tuna, shrimp, protein shakes, and amino acid supplements,
2. Has lost over 100 pounds of fat in 8 months via vigorous weight training and cardio, and complete avoidance of soda and desserts,
3. Has a cholesterol under 147, fasting glucose of 94, and a healthy blood pressure,
4. Isn’t taking any prescription medications.
5. Has no formal scientific education and is easily victimized by broscience.

(Broscience is a derogatory term for misconceptions and ideas of questionable scientific credibility, passed around among laymen by word-of-mouth as if factually true.
Most examples of broscience pertain to biology, fitness and sports, and it most often circulates in fitness, athletic and bodybuilding circles, where many people want to know how to most effectively work out but are either ignorant of or do not fully understand the actual science. In general, such beliefs rely on anecdotal evidence and gain their popularity more from if the speaker even lifts than from proof or references.)

I know from past experience that eating whole eggs and lots of meat would make MY cholesterol skyrocket, MY fasting glucose higher, and MY health worse. But that’s me, and my friend is a different organism than I am. Since my friend is doing so well with his current regime, I think it would be silly for me to recommend anything aside from getting more protein from beans, soy, and egg whites and less from meat and whole eggs, at least until he hits an athletic/weight loss plateau. What sort of credibility would I have if I told him he was killing himself when he is in the process of becoming profoundly more healthy? I’m curious what folks on this forum would do in my situation.
BenzoSt

Re: hypothetical question

Postby viv » Sun May 22, 2016 12:42 pm

I would say "Congratulations!"

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby baardmk » Sun May 22, 2016 12:53 pm

You don't need to react any particular way to this. It is up to you. We have no way of knowing how this turns out for that person.

But, like, truth is kind of truth, so if a discussion is coming up I don't see the problem of actually discussing this or that subject. Like how animal protein has shown up in various studies to be deleterious to health, and things like that. You don't have to make it absolute. Maybe gently question absolute notions he is having about this or that? And how questioning authorities can be a good thing, sometimes.

I don't know. (really don't)
baardmk

Postby colonyofcells » Sun May 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Can try replacing the animal products with protein from quinoa and legumes, and just take vitamin b12 supplements. Animal products are loaded with pollution and radiation and other bad stuff, have 0 fiber so are junk food.
colonyofcells

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun May 22, 2016 2:58 pm

viv wrote:I would say "Congratulations!"

Viv

Perfect! That's what I would say as well
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Lesliec1 » Sun May 22, 2016 3:11 pm

BenzoSt wrote:Since my friend is doing so well with his current regime, I think it would be silly for me to recommend anything

Stop here and don't finish the sentence. Why would he (or should he) believe you telling the opposite of what he is living? Just be his friend; Not his doctor.
Lesliec1

Postby patty » Sun May 22, 2016 3:15 pm

hmmm I would say wait and see. I have a gift of working with the elderly:) Hind sight is 20/20 vision. The two questions Dr. McDougall asked.. Jim Moore.. I think that was his name, was "How's your breath and digestion?" Because the 'friend' is obsessed with protein tells a underlining discomfort, a longing for home.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Skip » Sun May 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Sounds like the Atkins diet....short term results, long term failure...
I would congratulate my friend and perhaps engage in a discussion about the long term prognosis for the Atkins diet or maybe just wait and see how my friend did in the long run before commenting....
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby katgirl55 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:35 am

Since his tests are all coming back ok there is nothing to say. If he asks for your advice, you might mention that the amount of protein he is eating can be hard on his kidneys.
katgirl55

Postby docscience » Thu May 26, 2016 11:03 am

As mentioned, the high protein diet will cause loss of kidney function, loss of bone density, acid indigestion.
Animal toxins promote leaky gut, which makes considerably higher risk of getting one of the auto-immune diseases.
Poor bowel function, that promotes inflammatory digestive problems, and Collin cancer.

I think we all know many people like this. The only thing that I can recommend is to get him a copy of the "starch solution", and ask him to read it. It is questionable if he will actually read it.
So many people say that they would rather die than give up animal foods.
I do not know if they actually believe what they are saying, or just trying to change the topic.
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Return to The Lounge