Fat-soluble vitamins and woman reproductive health

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fat-soluble vitamins and woman reproductive health

Postby Yosia » Sun May 22, 2016 10:38 am

Hello!
My first post here, I've searched the forum for answers to my question, I didn't find anything, so sorry in advance if this topic was already covered :-)

I was tought that we need to consume added fat with veggies to absorb fat-soluble vitamins. For example vitamin A, if I don't eat animals liver I should be extra sure to absorb it from plants. dr MdDougall's plan advocates for minimal fat intake, so will I absorb all vitamins following the starch solution?

And next issue, connected to fat. I was tought that especially woman need to consume min 60g of fat per day to produce healthy amoounts of reproductive hormons. Is following dr McDougall plan safe for woman's fertility?

I hope you can answer my questions, I guess that are my only concerns regarding Starch Solution which I want to follow :-)

With best regards
Yosia
Yosia

Re: Fat-soluble vitamins and woman reproductive health

Postby geo » Sun May 22, 2016 10:53 am

For your first question:

Read the links here under the title "Does Adding Oil &/or Fat Increase The Nutrient Absorption of Vegetables":

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37233

For questions on Women's health and this program I would recommend: http://www.amazon.com/McDougall-Program ... ks&sr=1-11

Or you can just ask Dr McDougall at his email. He answers most questions rather quickly.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby Yosia » Tue May 24, 2016 6:19 am

Thank you for your quick reply! I think I will write to dr McDougall because I don't have access to the book you mentioned.
Yosia

Postby Hopingthisworks » Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 pm

I just bought the book on women's health on the e-books section of this website https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/ebooks/

For some reason I hadn't noticed this section before. I really wanted the book because of problems I was/am having. It is much cheaper as an e-book than trying to get a second-hand hard copy.

I think you would be hard-pressed to get vitamin A deficiency on this diet, if you like vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, Spinach etc.

I sometimes log my daily diet into cronometer.com and regularly go into the red with Vitamin A (i.e. I am getting too much of it some days, according to that. This might be a somewhat lesser problem than vitamin A from animal fat sources, as the body might just not bother ingesting it from plant sources if it has had enough. My intake varies a bit from day to day so I hope that balances it out. I blame the carrots :D ).
Hopingthisworks

Postby Yosia » Wed May 25, 2016 11:11 am

Hello, thank you for your reply! Great that there is ebbok version of the book :-) Thank you. Have you read it yet? I will buy it for sure, but I am impatient to have the answer for my main concern, that is the role the fat plays in forming the hormonsn forming role the fat play in our system. Is the fat existing in veggies and starchfood enough to get pregnant :-) ? If you came across this issue in the ebook I would be graetful if you could post the answer!

I am also the carrot eater :-) hope all that vit a will be absorbed :-)
Yosia

Postby arugula » Wed May 25, 2016 12:31 pm

This is an image modified from Kenneth Carrol's data:

These people at the lower left part of the graph--I don't think reproduction was an issue for them.

People tell us that some things are good for us that really aren't all the time. They are usually trying to sell us something, or convince themselves that it's true, or it's something that they always believed and never thought to verify. Or sometimes it's something they really want to believe and so they will defend it to their death. Literally!
arugula

Return to The Lounge