breakfast

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

breakfast

Postby veg tom » Sat May 21, 2016 6:15 am

I had oatmeal with blueberries. It was great but I was still hungry. So I ate some cut up bell peppers also great. Now I'm full. That is how we are suppose to eat
A is A
veg tom

Re: breakfast

Postby Dougalling » Sat May 21, 2016 7:00 am

Hi

Most days my breakfast is oatmeal with blueberries. When I'm hungrier, it's oatmeal with blueberries and banana slices.
Dougalling

Postby Taggart » Sat May 21, 2016 8:06 am

I've got banana, cranberries, blueberries, ground black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder in my cooked steel cut oats most mornings. After eating that, I'll have an apple and that seems to keep me going without needing an extra snack most days until lunch. Oats always make for my favourite meal of the day.
Taggart

Postby figlover » Sat May 21, 2016 8:19 am

I alway have a little fruit medley (today...mexican papaya, blueberry, watermelon, orange) with a little chopped iceberg for crunch. Hour later my oat, spelt and barley meal with a handful of dehydrated veggies from Harmony Farms thrown in after cooking, which soaks up the excess liquid nicely.
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby roundcoconut » Sat May 21, 2016 9:19 am

I with the Original Poster, that I like some veg to round out a meal!

One of the doctors on the plantbased circuit (Dr Klaper? Can't remember!) has made fun of American breakfast traditions, how we start our day with lots of fat (sausage, eggs, etc.) and/or with flour/sugar (muffins, bagels, pancakes). Like, our body has just gotten a break from the onslaught of crappy foods (while we were sleeping) and what's the first thing we give it in the morning? Junk food.

I'm not a breakfast eater, but I do eat oatmeal often as a meal, and always supplement with veg as well fruit. Maybe a cucumber, plus a few oranges. The veg is never in the oats, but a few years ago, I went through a phase of liking cooked cabbage with my oats, right in the bowl, like a savory soup. It was yummy!
roundcoconut

Postby patty » Sat May 21, 2016 9:56 am

I usually omit breakfast as I like intermitting fasting, but when I do eat I like old fashion oats with fruit. In another thread on the food forum Jeff Novick explained, the importance of cooking them with water. I thought they were raw, but Jeff explained they used heat in processing them.

Pink Rose posted a link for a free copy of Kick The Fat by Sara Logan, a vegan kindle cookbook: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FP ... pldnSite=1

Sara has a excellent recipe for old fashion oats.

5-Star Oatmeal Prep: 10 mins. / Cook: 5 mins. / 2 large servings 2 cups old-fashioned oats 1/ 2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/ 2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup fresh or frozen cherries 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped Non-dairy milk for serving 1. In a medium saucepan bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add oatmeal and cinnamon, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Then remove from burner and stir in vanilla. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. 2. In a small sauce pan place cherries and maple syrup. Set burner on low and as berries warm they will flavor the maple syrup. 3. Divide cooked oatmeal into 2 large bowls (such as soup bowls). Top the oatmeal with warm berries and syrup. Sprinkle with walnuts. Serve with milk. Per serving (w/ o milk): 476 calories, 11g fat, 88g carbohydrates, 12g protein

Logan, Sara (2016-05-14). Vegan: Kick the Fat Vegan Kitchen, 34 Healthy Vegan Recipes For A Low-Fat Plant-Based Lifestyle (Easy Vegan Cookbook with Photos) (Kindle Locations 206-216). . Kindle Edition.

I will have to try Sara's recipe for a late breakfast:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby figlover » Sat May 21, 2016 10:00 am

roundcoconut wrote:cooked cabbage with my oats, right in the bowl, like a savory soup. It was yummy!

YES! That's how the dehydrated veggies work, Harmony Farms cabbage is really sweet, literally and figuratively. I get it in 15lb loads that maybe will last me a year but it's so handy I use it almost every meal in some form.
figlover

Postby roundcoconut » Sat May 21, 2016 10:06 am

figlover wrote:YES! That's how the dehydrated veggies work, Harmony Farms cabbage is really sweet, literally and figuratively. I get it in 15lb loads that maybe will last me a year but it's so handy I use it almost every meal in some form.

My love of cabbage is unreal, and I often excuse my behavior by saying, "I'm descended from German peasants, what can I say."

Braised cabbage is out of this world to me (provided it is sour enough for my liking!), and yet others make faces at the whole idea of cabbage, like eating it is a cruel punishment devised by the diet industry. No way -- I'll eat it till my dying day.
roundcoconut

Postby Grammy Ginger » Sat May 21, 2016 10:57 am

roundcoconut wrote:My love of cabbage is unreal, and I often excuse my behavior by saying, "I'm descended from German peasants, what can I say."

I have no excuse; I'm Irish, English, Scottish, Powhatan and Chickasaw. I love it raw and cooked but also enjoy the dehydrated Harmony House cabbage in soup. I'll have to try cabbage with oats.
Grammy Ginger

Postby ETeSelle » Mon May 23, 2016 2:17 pm

patty wrote:Sara has a excellent recipe for old fashion oats.

5-Star Oatmeal Prep: 10 mins. / Cook: 5 mins. / 2 large servings 2 cups old-fashioned oats 1/ 2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/ 2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup fresh or frozen cherries 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped Non-dairy milk for serving 1. In a medium saucepan bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add oatmeal and cinnamon, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Then remove from burner and stir in vanilla. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. 2. In a small sauce pan place cherries and maple syrup. Set burner on low and as berries warm they will flavor the maple syrup. 3. Divide cooked oatmeal into 2 large bowls (such as soup bowls). Top the oatmeal with warm berries and syrup. Sprinkle with walnuts. Serve with milk. Per serving (w/ o milk): 476 calories, 11g fat, 88g carbohydrates, 12g protein

Logan, Sara (2016-05-14). Vegan: Kick the Fat Vegan Kitchen, 34 Healthy Vegan Recipes For A Low-Fat Plant-Based Lifestyle (Easy Vegan Cookbook with Photos) (Kindle Locations 206-216). . Kindle Edition.

See, though, all that is unnecessary. Old-fashioned oats cook in 4 min in the microwave. I put some fruit in a bowl, add some oats, add some water, and nuke 4 min. Then I add a little maple syrup and some cinnamon, and if necessary, a little more water or some low-fat soymilk. No reason to cook it in a pan or let it sit for 5 min LOL. I'm not sure why this is not more widely known. I mean, if you WANT to go through all that, go for it. But it tastes just the same after 4 min. in the microwave.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby figlover » Mon May 23, 2016 2:43 pm

I liken it to the Japanese Tea Ceremony. :D
figlover

Postby Dalton » Thu May 26, 2016 5:55 am

Breakfast doesn't have to be traditional. In the U.K. I noticed that many people eat baked beans for BF. It makes sense to me now. I eat a few cups of split pea soup every single morning. Starches are such a great filler. Pea's are a superfood and it works out great for me. Find something you like and is filling no matter how it's classified as a proper time to consume it. There are no rules.
Dalton

Postby Werner1950 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:25 am

For me, old fashioned or even quick-cook steel cut oats do not hold me like normal steel cut oats. SO I boil 3 cups of water in the evg. Once it is boiling, I turn the heat off, add 1 cup steel cut oats, add berries on top and sweeten with either maple syrup or brown sugar. One of these days I am going to ditch that as well.

And I put a generous helping of mixed berries on top.
But looking throgh these posts has given me ideas.

But cabbage? I still get a painful stomach when eating cabbage. How many days does it take to "acclimatize" to eating cabbage? And I'm German!
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby roundcoconut » Thu May 26, 2016 8:18 am

Werner1950 wrote:But cabbage? I still get a painful stomach when eating cabbage. How many days does it take to "acclimatize" to eating cabbage? And I'm German!

It's a gift! I was born with it.

But always cooked, never raw or lightly steamed.
roundcoconut

Return to The Lounge