vegan youtube drama

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

vegan youtube drama

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat May 14, 2016 3:53 pm

There's never been a shortage of drama on the internet. You don't have to look far to find/step in it. Here's an article addressing one corner of the net.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/05/what ... drama.html
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: vegan youtube drama

Postby arugula » Sun May 15, 2016 7:56 am

i don't think there anything to read into this except that generating controversy generates more views, which is all they really want. so many young people are trying to make a living off of youtube these days. can't really fault them for that. it's not like they have the same economic opportunities that their parents had.
arugula

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Sun May 15, 2016 8:41 am

I would guess that these youtubers add fuel to the opinion that the general population has about vegans being crazy
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby Skip » Sun May 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Great advice at the end of the first video. She says "you have to carb the fuck up". Instead of the Starch Solution, the book could have been called "Carb the fuck up" for that younger generational appeal..... :D
Last edited by Skip on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby Thrasymachus » Mon May 16, 2016 9:00 am

@WyldMoonWoman:
The average person has a crazy value system. My aunt who is a life long smoker, warned me that she had the table I set my laptop on for 20-30 years and it is without a scratch. One day using my mom's car to drive to work, another co-worker in another department was driving his new looking car at 5 mph or less over every pothole on the road infront of my workplace contributing to my lateness.

If you scratch someone's car they will yell, or threaten you with the cops/insurance claims or perhaps even fight you. But if you give someone potato chips, a beer, cigarettes, cocaine and a bacon cheeseburger they will pretend to be close friends. However when you stop giving, suddenly they disappear. What is more important, the one body you will ever have, or a car that you will likely replace down the line anyway?

Youtubers in general are not a good example, but the cultural mainstream has a crazy and shitty value system. They care about material goods more than the they do the punishment they put on their own bodies through their gluttony. The cited article even closed with this:

NYMag wrote:Come to think of it, the problem might be more YouTube than vegans.
Thrasymachus

Postby healthyvegan » Mon May 16, 2016 10:35 am

in the old days Peta had to toss red paint on fur wearing celebs to get attention (which was always highly controversial) now vegans can just make videos and stir the drama and the younger generation gets vegan viability over the billion $ ad industry of milk, eggs & meat.

these industries commonly direct their ads over our videos, too & pay tons of $ to top youtubers to promote eggs, chicken, and unhealthy products secretly to their millions of fans.
a lot of people won't understand or relate to the vegan youtube drama, but for the millions that get sucked in it really helps young kids hear the go vegan message for the 1st time & then they can search around on youtube and find vids from less controversial vegans (like us :lol: ) it's a win win!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Skip » Mon May 16, 2016 11:01 am

WyldMoonWoman wrote:I would guess that these youtubers add fuel to the opinion that the general population has about vegans being crazy

"Freelee the banana girl" doesn't sound that crazy to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKDInabaPM
Skip

Postby bbq » Mon May 16, 2016 2:23 pm

No wonder they're going bananas, and certainly NOT crazy at all once we've realized how much money was involved:

http://youtu.be/YEi67WpgZZs#t=147
http://youtu.be/n1O1hU0wiBg

She's gonna earn just a little bit more than "almost" all of us here on this forum for the rest of our lives, isn't she?

http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/freelea

Granted most of us here might not be able to handle social media activism. It's such a high stress job to deal with plenty of haters on social media, not to mention those attacks from fellow YouTubers:

http://youtu.be/JlR19LWi80M

Obviously that deal should be a HUGE boost to the entire movement, let's see how it goes in 2 years.
bbq

Postby patty » Mon May 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Wow how great is that!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby arugula » Mon May 16, 2016 5:02 pm

i think jeff was trolling. for a second i got so excited for her.
arugula

Postby GlennR » Mon May 16, 2016 6:41 pm

arugula wrote:i think jeff was trolling. for a second i got so excited for her.

Yes, he was trolling. I don't like many of the videos posted on YouTube and I even find Jeff''s videos pretty unrelatable although the message is generally good. Between expensive cars, toys, laptops, bikes, vacations, .... on display it's hard to see the average person being able to identify with what's shown.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby arugula » Mon May 16, 2016 6:55 pm

jeff comes from a fabulously well-to-do family with a famous name that i can't remember, a mansion, the whole deal. no, i certainly can't relate as a semi-starving adjunct with no benefits. but i do ride my bicycle. and my food is a lot like his.
arugula

Postby Risto » Tue May 17, 2016 5:11 am

Skip wrote:Instead of the Starch Solution, the book could have been called "Carb the fuck up" for that younger generational appeal..... :D

I've recently spent too much time browsing around the vegan channels on Youtube, and it struck me that all the f-bombing and caustic language seems a bit forced with many of the people. I looked at the very first videos that Freelee, High Carb Hannah, Mama Tang etc. posted, and they speak softly and perfectly politely in them. Then they seem to have developed their Youtube personalities over time in later videos, apparently trying to keep up with Durianrider's f-bombing. I guess that's what get views. Mama Tang does not curse, but she's using her accent and a kind of a bark for an effect. Durianrider has explicitly called Fully Raw Kristina fake for always appearing smiling, sunny and polite in her videos. I can easily believe that she's not like that off-camera, but the frequency of f-bombs doesn't exactly seem like a good measure of integrity either. Then there's Vegan Gains, who has kinda taken the whole thing to another level.

It's not all just drama for the sake of Youtube views, I don't think, since some of the people that Durianrider, Freelee and Vegan Gains have criticized are selling products and services outside of Youtube, and they've been suing their critics apparently to protect their business, or issued cease-and-desist letters for alleged copyright violations. I could easily see someone like Freelee putting a local weight loss guru out of business with her videos, if they're talking to the same audience (young women).

I have to say that I can't really watch Vegan Gains, even when he makes some very good critical points about the fitness industry. To my mind, the guy gives off a seriously disturbing negative vibe. Durianriders f-bombing is tolerable for a couple of minutes at a time. I feel all of these people could benefit massively from a few hours of voice and rhetoric lessons. Make the f-bombing more effective, if nothing else.
Risto

Postby patty » Tue May 17, 2016 6:05 am

Risto wrote:
Skip wrote:Instead of the Starch Solution, the book could have been called "Carb the fuck up" for that younger generational appeal..... :D

I've recently spent too much time browsing around the vegan channels on Youtube, and it struck me that all the f-bombing and caustic language seems a bit forced with many of the people. I looked at the very first videos that Freelee, High Carb Hannah, Mama Tang etc. posted, and they speak softly and perfectly politely in them. Then they seem to have developed their Youtube personalities over time in later videos, apparently trying to keep up with Durianrider's f-bombing. I guess that's what get views. Mama Tang does not curse, but she's using her accent and a kind of a bark for an effect. Durianrider has explicitly called Fully Raw Kristina fake for always appearing smiling, sunny and polite in her videos. I can easily believe that she's not like that off-camera, but the frequency of f-bombs doesn't exactly seem like a good measure of integrity either. Then there's Vegan Gains, who has kinda taken the whole thing to another level.

It's not all just drama for the sake of Youtube views, I don't think, since some of the people that Durianrider, Freelee and Vegan Gains have criticized are selling products and services outside of Youtube, and they've been suing their critics apparently to protect their business, or issued cease-and-desist letters for alleged copyright violations. I could easily see someone like Freelee putting a local weight loss guru out of business with her videos, if they're talking to the same audience (young women).

I have to say that I can't really watch Vegan Gains, even when he makes some very good critical points about the fitness industry. To my mind, the guy gives off a seriously disturbing negative vibe. Durianriders f-bombing is tolerable for a couple of minutes at a time. I feel all of these people could benefit massively from a few hours of voice and rhetoric lessons. Make the f-bombing more effective, if nothing else.

That's disappointing... once money is involved everything changes.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Skip » Tue May 17, 2016 6:31 am

Risto,

Who the fuck cares? :D Just kidding.......

I never realized that companies like google would pay people just because they had a lot of views on a youtube website. I guess it comes down to an advertising model where advertisers will pay google to provide their ads to websites that are getting the most views to maximize their advertising exposure.
Skip

Next

Return to The Lounge