Safe nonstick baking - what products /process to use?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Safe nonstick baking - what products /process to use?

Postby REWohsnus » Thu May 05, 2016 9:07 am

Folks, it has been a while since I did any baking other than baking vegetables for which I use parchment paper. I will be making cornbread for guests this weekend and am unsure if I can simply line a square glass baking dish with parchment paper or if I should invest in a piece of similar nonstick or silicone cookware. Last I looked - and, admittedly, it has been a while - all nonstick and silicone still required oil of some kind when I read the product directions.

Are there any truly safe non-stick products and/or will parchment paper be fine with a glass dish?
REWohsnus

Re: Safe nonstick baking - what products /process to use?

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu May 05, 2016 10:10 am

Be aware there are 2 types of silicon 1) If you bend it and gently squeeze, you will see a different much lighter color at the bend. This type outgases something nasty! 2) No color change when bent. I have never used but think no oil etc needed.

I bought #1 type (thrift store) before I knew the difference and when baked in oven it really stank. Han to toss out the food cooked on it
GeoffreyLevens

Postby healthyvegan » Thu May 05, 2016 10:41 am

we line every type of baking w parchment. never been a fan of silicone
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu May 05, 2016 10:50 am

healthyvegan wrote:we line every type of baking w parchment. never been a fan of silicone

That is what I use also. Bought the silicon thing on a whim for $1 and threw it out after first use.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby REWohsnus » Thu May 05, 2016 10:59 am

After I posted I came across some articles that made me question using silicone. So I'll line the glass dish with parchment and get to cooking my cornbread! Thank you all for your comments!
REWohsnus

Return to The Lounge