Major recall of frozen vegetables

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Major recall of frozen vegetables

Postby frozenveg » Thu May 05, 2016 7:29 am

This just came out yesterday. As I am THE frozenveg, I was pretty concerned. This is going to put a crimp in my style for a while. Check your freezers!

I only had one bag, of all the boxes & bags I have, and it was from the Costco recall. Apparently, Kroger store products haven't yet been recalled.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm49 ... ovdelivery
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Re: Major recall of frozen vegetables

Postby Vegankit » Thu May 05, 2016 8:06 am

thank you for the warning
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby greentea » Thu May 05, 2016 9:22 am

Wow, that's quite the recall!
greentea

Postby hazelrah » Thu May 05, 2016 9:44 am

frozenveg wrote:As I am THE frozenveg, I was pretty concerned.

Not sure how anybody else feels, but I'm not holding it against you personally.

Now if my Very Cherry Berry Blend had been on the list,...

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby healthyvegan » Thu May 05, 2016 10:09 am

seems to be all the big box brands.... target, costco, walmart, etc.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Grammy Ginger » Thu May 05, 2016 12:14 pm

I only lost three small bags from wild oats. Not too bad
Grammy Ginger

Postby colonyofcells » Thu May 05, 2016 1:12 pm

Maybe it is safer to buy vegetables from the farmer's markets. Lately, I have been going to the farmer's market on saturday and sunday.
colonyofcells

Postby JeffN » Thu May 05, 2016 1:23 pm

healthyvegan wrote:seems to be all the big box brands.... target, costco, walmart, etc.

and trader Joes, Wild Oats....

colonyofcells wrote:Maybe it is safer to buy vegetables from the farmer's markets.

Over, the last 10 years, fresh produce is the most common source of food poisoning outbreaks

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby pundit999 » Thu May 05, 2016 2:24 pm

I think it may be OK to use the frozen veggies. Just cook them well at high temperature such as in the Instant Pot.
Also be careful not to touch them with bare hands.

The bacteria does not survive higher than 110F but if you touch the cold veggies, they can get on your hands and you can cross contaminate.
pundit999

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu May 05, 2016 3:15 pm

pundit999 wrote:I think it may be OK to use the frozen veggies. Just cook them well at high temperature such as in the Instant Pot.
Also be careful not to touch them with bare hands.

The bacteria does not survive higher than 110F but if you touch the cold veggies, they can get on your hands and you can cross contaminate.

I would not risk it. The chance of cross contamination is too high, and listeria is pretty nasty.

I was quite ill with what was suspected to be listeria, but the cultures were not handled correctly so we will ever know. If it was listeria, I don't know how I got it.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby SeekKnowledge » Thu May 05, 2016 9:34 pm

Here is an NPR story that explains some things.

The first outbreak was 2013 which is why this was an expansion of a recall.
The critical phrase seems to be "resident lysteria".

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/05/04/476777724/frozen-food-fears-4-things-to-know-about-the-listeria-recall

"The CDC's venture into whole-genome sequencing has allowed the agency to identify more listeria outbreaks, especially more that span longer periods of time. Last year, the CDC announced two outbreaks that began in 2010.

Listeria gets around — and stays around.

The CDC said that frozen vegetables produced by CRF Frozen Foods in Pasco, Wash., are the "likely source" of the illnesses.

Michael Doyle, professor of food microbiology at the University of Georgia and director of the school's Center for Food Safety, says he thinks that "resident" listeria caused the outbreak. Rather than "transient" bacteria that contaminate a food and move through a processing system with it, resident bacteria establish themselves somewhere in the processing plant and persist over several years.

"The organism is quite hardy," he says.
SeekKnowledge

Postby frozenveg » Thu May 05, 2016 11:17 pm

Well, anything is possible, which is why I used the word "yet". I work at a food bank, so food recalls are extremely common. We get several daily. But this is a big one.

After reading further about the resident Lysteria, I am thinking that perhaps the recall will not spread to the Kroger/Fred Meyer brands because it's not from the facility that has the problem. I hope.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Mayflowers » Fri May 06, 2016 10:49 am

I eat Birdseye... my brand isn't on there. Sometimes it pays to not by organic. :lol:
Mayflowers

Postby Dalton » Fri May 06, 2016 11:52 pm

If it were fruits, I would worry. Frozen veggies...not so. I eat almost all my foods hot. Listeria and other bacteriologicals are easily killed by heat. I'm gonna eat my frozen veggies (with mashed potatoes). Might wear a pair of gloves though. LOL Seriously, we encounter so many bugs, bacteria and viruses that can easily be defeated by simple heat. I will never eat anything cold unless it is a fruit. I will never eat a salad. Ever.
Dalton

Postby Hotmail » Fri May 13, 2016 9:50 am

I thought the recall was limited to the US and Canada, but I got a letter from Costco here in the UK, was really annoyed, I cooked almost half of the huge frozen veg bag, lucky I haven't made a smoothie for a while and haven't used any of those veggies in my smoothie - i.e raw !! however, I have used the frozen fruit, I wonder if the recall also includes Costco frozen fruit??
Hotmail

Next

Return to The Lounge